Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Doing the Bunny Leap

(Zone 9a)

There is a pair of cottontail rabbits that have been coming in the mornings and evenings to play in the yard. I've never seen this behavior before, so don't know what it means, but they had us laughing. It almost looks like they're playing leap-frog...one bunny runs at the other, who leaps straight up in the air as the first one runs under him. They do this repeatedly, and then they'll chase each other around, stop, and play 'leap bunny' again.

They did this for several days, until a mama bobcat and her baby started hanging around. Haven't seen the bunnies since...hoping they're staying close to the briar patch where it's safe. They are very neighborly bunnies...they don't bother my plants even though they hang around in the yard.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

We've saw our squirrels do the same kind of thing last fall. They sometimes played together, but sometimes did so all by their lonesome. One in particular would walk around the flower bed and suddenly leap straight up in the air, then dash around a bit...then start all over. It was almost like something bit him and he went "yikes!" and dashed about for a while. It wasn't just one squirrel - we observed this with several. They're hilarious, even if they do steal the birdfood. ;o)

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Is this a mating dance do you think????....lol!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Knowing how prolific those long-eared little bundles of luv are, it probably is. I don't think rabbits require much courting, however. ;-)

Toston, MT(Zone 4a)

Actually, I believe it's a dominant thing.
Normally when a rabbit is playing, they jump up in the air and kick sideways. When they are showing dominance, they jump in the air, but they have a stiffness to them - like they're flexing. And it normally involves jumping over one another. They may also rub their chin on everything, stomp their back foot, and lay their ears flat.
Or.... They may have just been playing :o)
Heidi

Pittsburgh, PA

BINKIES!
That's what we in the house rabbit set call it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.