Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Wildlife: Doing the Bunny Leap

Communities > Forums > Wildlife
bookmark
Forum: WildlifeReplies: 5, Views: 145
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Bloomer

(Zone 9a)

May 20, 2001
4:27 AM

Post #5093

There is a pair of cottontail rabbits that have been coming in the mornings and evenings to play in the yard. I've never seen this behavior before, so don't know what it means, but they had us laughing. It almost looks like they're playing leap-frog...one bunny runs at the other, who leaps straight up in the air as the first one runs under him. They do this repeatedly, and then they'll chase each other around, stop, and play 'leap bunny' again.

They did this for several days, until a mama bobcat and her baby started hanging around. Haven't seen the bunnies since...hoping they're staying close to the briar patch where it's safe. They are very neighborly bunnies...they don't bother my plants even though they hang around in the yard.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 20, 2001
4:31 AM

Post #75744

We've saw our squirrels do the same kind of thing last fall. They sometimes played together, but sometimes did so all by their lonesome. One in particular would walk around the flower bed and suddenly leap straight up in the air, then dash around a bit...then start all over. It was almost like something bit him and he went "yikes!" and dashed about for a while. It wasn't just one squirrel - we observed this with several. They're hilarious, even if they do steal the birdfood. ;o)
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2001
12:11 AM

Post #75907

Is this a mating dance do you think????...lol!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 21, 2001
5:50 AM

Post #75957

Knowing how prolific those long-eared little bundles of luv are, it probably is. I don't think rabbits require much courting, however. ;-)
Heidi
Toston, MT
(Zone 4a)

May 22, 2001
9:12 PM

Post #76395

Actually, I believe it's a dominant thing.
Normally when a rabbit is playing, they jump up in the air and kick sideways. When they are showing dominance, they jump in the air, but they have a stiffness to them - like they're flexing. And it normally involves jumping over one another. They may also rub their chin on everything, stomp their back foot, and lay their ears flat.
Or... They may have just been playing :o)
Heidi
crittergarden
Pittsburgh, PA

April 6, 2012
10:46 AM

Post #9071960

BINKIES!
That's what we in the house rabbit set call it.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Wildlife Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
The nicest thing happened in the local Walmart in their greenhouse.............. Merry_Sunshine 2 Apr 6, 2012 10:44 AM
Black Panther at pond BittysGarden 3 Apr 6, 2012 10:56 AM
BIG cat incident lantana 7 May 16, 2012 7:21 PM
I'm A Moose Matador Weezingreens 166 Feb 6, 2014 5:26 AM
Eerie Howling Dorise 10 Jun 13, 2012 3:33 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America