Roses: protecting standard roses or Tree Roses

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

Just a note that might help those on this forum in colder parts of the country, on protecting these guys and ladies for winter....take your canopy of the rose(the top part of the standard), and prune back 1/3, remembering to cut out any dead, diseased and damaged bits. Take some chicken wire and make a cylindrical cone the height of the rose and then fill the inside with maple leaves, pine boughs,(chopped up)..tuck them in tight, right to the top of the canopy and if you want, bind some burlap around the very outside of the chicken wire...pretty good protection...Elaine

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Great advice Elaine, as always. Unfortunately I don't have them.

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Roselaine,
wish I had read that then rather than now,had protected them but not as careful evidently.Did read that method several years ago but did not remember when I packed them up for winter and sure enough lost all 4.

Galena, OH

I had a rose standard that I kept in a pot (central Ohio) for several years. Around November or December, I put it in an unheated garage for the winter. The first couple of years I tried to water it one or two times but other years I forgot, but it survived. When the weather started getting warm and the rose started to sprout, I took it out and watered it. People were always amazed that I kept it alive. It was 'the fairy' so I that may be a good rose for a standard.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images