Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening: Hummingbird still here!

Communities > Forums > Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Hummingbird and Butterfly GardeningReplies: 25, Views: 335
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

November 6, 2002
12:04 PM

Post #402383

I saw one this morning before I went to work. It was dashing from the Pineapple sage to the Cape honeysuckle to the Cigar plant. Didn't have my camera handy and it was not very light yet. I think it was having a grand ole time and I sure hope it stays around. Do they overwinter in the Florida panhandle?
hummer_nut
Montgomery, AL
(Zone 8a)

November 6, 2002
1:54 PM

Post #402450

Glad to know you have a hummer. Yes, some rubys do over winter where you live, plus some western species do also.
If you get a good look at it or a picture, maybe I could identify it for you. I have a hatching yr female ruby in my yard now. We caught and banded it yesterday. It was in good health and maybe it will decide to stay the winter. Do you have a feeder up, if not, it would help to keep the hummer in your yard.
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

November 6, 2002
6:36 PM

Post #402604

If I can i will get a picture. Would love to know what it is. No feeder up, didn't know any were still around but I will gte one up this weekend.
Thanks
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

December 17, 2002
2:25 AM

Post #430888

Still no feeder up but the hummer is still here. We still have red blooming things thanks to no freeze yet.
hummer_nut
Montgomery, AL
(Zone 8a)

December 17, 2002
12:43 PM

Post #431053

Glad you still have a hummer. As long as it has a food source it should stay until with you until sometime in Feb or early March
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

December 18, 2002
1:58 AM

Post #431324

That is good, but where do they go then?
hummer_nut
Montgomery, AL
(Zone 8a)

December 18, 2002
3:27 PM

Post #431573

Depends on the type of hummer. Most wintering hummers in the southeast are from the western part of the US, so most return back there for the spring and summer. If it is a ruby throat then it could just stay yr round or migrate northward for the spring and summer.
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

January 3, 2003
4:00 AM

Post #440357

I saw one again this afternoon feeding on my yellow butterfly bush. Didn't have my glasses, binoculars or camera with me, I was working!
THis is great seeing them here in the winter.
Floridian
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 3, 2003
12:34 PM

Post #440499

I want some too!!! I guess it's sorta like the blonde and the lotto ticket...you have to put out feeders too to get them to come like you have to buy a ticket to win the lottery!
arlene
Newberry, FL
(Zone 8B)

January 3, 2003
3:28 PM

Post #440574

Stacey, you might put a feeder up. i talked with a fellow lives in val rico, he had 5 last year and i'm not sure how many this year. a feeder is a good because it gives them an emergency place to stop and fill up. i have one outside each window where my computer is, as i type for a living, and can often spot them. i put up another one on the kitchen window, haven't seen any there but it gives the others a chance to sneak in for a sip while the other feeders are guarded.
Connie, it is fun isn't it? sappy here, but i feel like God sent me these hummers to help me through the winter, i had heard of winter hummers but never thought i would see any. Also, the bander might be coming by if he has enough reports of hummers in central florida.
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

January 3, 2003
3:48 PM

Post #440593

Oh, it is great fun! I don't have feeders up and tonight is time for first freeze so that will fix that if all the blooms go!
BTW, I have many Brug seed pods still on the plants but not ripe yet. Should I bring them in and if so, how? I doubt if any seeds will survive.
Floridian
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 3, 2003
3:57 PM

Post #440605

I have at least 1 feeder stashed in the garage somewhere and what a GREAT excuse to go to HD garden center as well..LOL Another priority project for the FDH!
That's not sappy Arlene, it's a great way to feel! I always tell the critters thanks when they pose for me!! LOL
arlene
Newberry, FL
(Zone 8B)

January 3, 2003
4:49 PM

Post #440664

Connie, daturapod posted some instructions a while back, pretty easy. just cut the stalk off as long as you can. cut the branch off just above the pod, and still in buckets of water. i had mixed results, but i do have one pod i did this with that i have since transferred to soil and the pod looks good. lots of them rotted on me. i think the pods have to be already full size and just waiting to ripen, at least for me.
i also hope someone in your neighborhood has a feeder up, they stick around if they have a feeder.
thanks Stacey. i don't know how far you are from this other fellow, but apparently winter hummers hang may well be hanging out near you.
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

January 20, 2003
11:11 PM

Post #453517

Well, all my plants froze, except the cassia but luckily I have 3 feeders up and guess what? This evening I saw a hummer at one of the feeders! So glad I put them up...those little guys are hungry!
arlene
Newberry, FL
(Zone 8B)

January 20, 2003
11:23 PM

Post #453526

Connie! i am so glad you did too! what a treat. the only things i have left blooming are a few camellias and for some reason my flowering maples. didn't cover them and still have pretty flowers on them.
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

January 21, 2003
12:19 AM

Post #453567

My abutilons (the hybrid orange/red bloom) live all year here and get really big. Just don't have many blooms right now. The yard looks sad, all dead green looking stuff. My brugs' leaves died but the limbs are ok so far. Today seemed like spring is in the air, but oh no, I don't think so!
arlene
Newberry, FL
(Zone 8B)

January 21, 2003
10:45 AM

Post #453809

Connie, my yard is so sad too. less than 6 weeks to march 1st though, and i can't make myself believe nature will give us hard frosts the first of march two years in a row. i am so looking forward to it. i was looking, you saw the hummer the first time on 11/6, i saw mine on 11/25 but they could have been here earlier. next year i guess i'll leave the feeders up on through just in case.
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

January 21, 2003
12:09 PM

Post #453833

Yep, me too. I will be keeping a closer watch and planting more hummingbird friendly plants and will probably get more feeders now that I KNOW they are here through the winter. Got to keep those birdies fed!
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

February 3, 2003
11:48 PM

Post #462304

I saw "them" this evening. I could sit outside in nice weather with no bugs! They did not go to the feeders but did go into my oak tree and just sit. as it got dark I lost sight of them.
arlene
Newberry, FL
(Zone 8B)

February 5, 2003
10:31 PM

Post #463310

Connie, glad you got to enjoy your hummers. i saw a funny thing today, some kind of bird i couldn't id was sitting on the hummer feeder stand and poking around. it didn't take long for the little general to come run him off. i would love to have that on tape.
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

February 6, 2003
10:49 PM

Post #463919

THey are fearless aren't they? Get right in there with the big guys...I love it.
skywarrior

February 7, 2003
7:18 AM

Post #464168

I not only have hummingbirds in the summer I have hummingbird moths which are just as fascinating--how do you add a picture??I have a nice picture of one.

This message was edited Friday, Feb 7th 3:20 AM
hummer_nut
Montgomery, AL
(Zone 8a)

February 7, 2003
3:31 PM

Post #464336

To post a pic, below your message, enter the location and pic file name on your pc where the IMAGE block is. You can select browse and when you find your pic on your pc double click the file. Hope this helps.
skywarrior

February 8, 2003
5:29 AM

Post #464831

Let me try this--to introduce you to my friendly hummingbird moth. You have to enlarge to see him--his wings are going so fast you can barely see them

This message was edited Saturday, Feb 8th 1:31 AM

Thumbnail by skywarrior
Click the image for an enlarged view.

hummer_nut
Montgomery, AL
(Zone 8a)

February 8, 2003
11:08 AM

Post #464874

skywarrior, where do you live. In looking at the picture, I am not 100% sure that this picture is of a hummingbird moth. It looks to me like a hummer that has lost its tail feathers for some reason, either from molting or from fighting, either one, they will grow back. I am very familiar with the moths, but this one is strange. When was this pic taken?

Larry
skywarrior

February 9, 2003
12:19 AM

Post #465350

I live in Pennsylvania--believe me it is much to small to be a real hummer. They usually flit back and forth between my impatiens but this time I was lucky and 2 of them decided to visit my phlox near my front deck--just outside my sunroom and near my camera. I saw these little fellas in Arizona at the Desert Museum one year and asked one of the employees what they were (since I had seen them at home) and he told me. I did have my zoom lens on just to get some detail since he was so tiny.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
save the butterflies!!!!!! eyesoftexas 1 Mar 19, 2010 10:18 PM
Gulf Frittilary Caterpillar busy_bee_or 8 Sep 21, 2007 6:11 PM
University of Florida butterfly exhibit Night_Bloom 9 Apr 12, 2007 9:24 PM
What am I? konkreteblond 26 Jul 1, 2007 10:51 PM
What are these on my milkweed? margaran 31 May 1, 2009 7:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America