Sambucus nigra 'Black Beauty'

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Hello, everyone!

Does anyone know where this might be available in the US?

Thumbnail by evelyn_inthegarden
High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

hope this help... http://www.pottedliners.com/black_beauty.htm

Thanks, MaVieRose,

I already checked that out. They are wholesale.

I just want one!

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

we have a regular member here @ DG who sells trees on ebay. his member name is Plantranch ... here is his website ... http://plantranch.net/
, send him an email, maybe he can get it for u. he buys wholesale, and sells retail. i bought all my trees and shrubs from him. he has good stock on hand. give Darin/Plantranch a try, u got nothing to lose in asking. anyway, that is what his web site suggest.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9a)

You can order this on-line from the Digging Dog Nursery in Albion, Calif.

Patricia

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Oooooh, how pretty! White Flower Farm also lists it, and Color Choice lists these retail locations for their plants: http://www.colorchoiceplants.com/sources.htm (some of which are in California.)

If someone has a hard copy of Forestfarm's catalog, they can check to see if they have it (their website has been offline since at least last night...)

Greer Gardens lists it - a 2-3' shrub is $23.95 plus s/h

one note of correction - Darrin (aka Plantranch) isn't a subscriber here, although he does have a username registered. ;o)

(Zone 7a)

Bluestone Perennials has them on sale.We ordered 2 of these awhile back.They were small,but healthy.Hope this helps.
http://www.bluestoneperennials.com/cgi-bin/bluestone.cgi/index.html

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Forest Farm does list Sambucus nigra Black Beauty, 1 gal, 1 to 2' is $15.00 plus shipping. I have 4 or 5 different Sambucus, but don't have that one. Have Sambucus nigra Guincho Purple, Sambucus purpurea, a variegated leaved one and a couple more that i don't remember the name of right now. I love them when they are in bloom and the birds love them when the fruit is ripe. Donna

Marshfield, MA(Zone 6b)

I have two of these beautiful shrubs and three other sambucas, all in full sun....four were planted last spring and one this spring and only the new one has bloomed! Does anyone know why the others aren't blooming? I got mine locally at a nursery nearby, I would recommend White Flower Farm if you want to order one as I order from them often....

Georgetown, TX

I bought three of these from ForestFarm a few months ago, and they have plain old green leaves. Can anyone think of why this might be the case? I wanted them for their deep purple foliage. I've heard of leaves losing their variegation when stressed, could this be something similar? Or perhaps it's the heat?

Beachwood, OH

amazing what a few yrs can do to a price. I bought one in person at Bluestone Perennials last yr in Sept for $4 for quart size pot and they are listed in the on-line catalog for $8.50 delivered next spring.

Mine didn't make it through our drought last fall - I'm bummed.

Burlington, MA(Zone 6a)

I am also planning on trying to find one of these. I have a Sutherland's Gold Sambucus that I just installed last spring. It survived our drought last summer with lots of watering and this year came back and was the hit of my shrub border. It grew a lot and the beginning leaves were reddish then turned gold with reddish tips, then produced very pretty flowers. I was sorely disappointed that it didn't produce berries which was the reason I bought it. Not too surprised, since I was figuring it needed a second shrub to produce berries. I bought it locally and the nursery didn't know anything about it. Boy I get pretty frustrated with people selling shrubs that don't know what you need to get berries. If the person selling the shrub doesn't know then who does?

Anyone, have any ideas about where to get accurate dependable information about how to get sambucus to berry, I would appreciate it.

Thanks for the links to the Sambucus nigra. Want to add that one next fall if I can find one too.

Beachwood, OH

PrairieMoon2 - I have regular Sambucus and it flowers and berries all by its lonesome. Maybe it doesn't need a partner. Maybe better Google it and see what you can find.

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

Elderberries require a second cultivar for pollination and to set the best fruit. A good companion and cross-pollinator for Sambucus nigra 'Gerda' (Black Beauty™) is Sambucus nigra 'Purpurea'.

This message was edited Jul 15, 2006 1:50 PM

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

Can these cross pollinate with Sambucus canadensis? I wonder if the dark leaves would scorch in my area?

Burlington, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks for that info. I wonder would you know what would be a good pollinator for the 'Sutherland's Gold' sambucus? Would the S. nigra pollinate the Sutherland's Gold?

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I've grown Black Beauty since it came out in 2003 (I think). For sale.

They should be quite easy to find in most large nurseries now. Ones that carry Proven Winner shrubs should have it.

For slaroussels, a liitle patience. They seem to be much darker as they develop a good root system. Also too much shade brings out the green.

And have we all seen http://www.colorchoiceplants.com/black_lace.htm ?

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Oh, and look at this source

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/627022/

Georgetown, TX

Thanks for the info, pollyk. Hopefully it will darken as the roots establish. Now I just have to get them through the 105 degree temperatures we're having...

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

Thanks PollyK for that link! I put my order in. What would be the best planting spot for zone 8b? Would it need partial shade?

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

You're welcome for the link.

And I don't have a clue about where they should be placed in Z8. Good gosh. I deal with Z3-5 around here. Sorry.

Polly

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

Hmm, I have seen some sites rate this plant up to zone7, but PlantFiles say's zone10.

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

In 8b, it needs 1) protection from the hottest afternoon sun (late afternoon) or 2) adequate water during the hottest period of the day.

We are located in 8a and it grows well in full sun with sufficient water.

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

Thanks, I think I'll plant it on the north side of the house.

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

Why do some consider S.canadensis as a subspecies of S.nigra? I thought they were separate. What's the difference between the two besides their separate native land?

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

Taxonomy class.... yahhh, fun. There used to be S. mexicana and S. canadensis, which were separate species. However, the ITIS (Integrated Taxonomic Information System) at the National Museum of Natural History, with its partners in the taxonomic world, decided that they were actually subspecies of S. nigra. So now, the actual taxonomy for Sambucus is (intentionally omitting Kingdom to Family):

Genus: Sambucus L. (elderberry)
Species: nigra L. (European black elder, European black elderberry, European elderberry)

3 Subspecies (direct children) of Sambucus nigra are:
Sambucus nigra ssp. canadensis (includes blue elder, common elderberry, elder, elderberry, Mexican elderberry)
Sambucus nigra ssp. cerulea (includes blue elderberry, elderberry)
Sambucus nigra ssp. nigra (includes European black elderberry)

Most people omit the subspecies designation (nigra ssp) so we have S. canadensis, S. nigra and S. cerulea - which is still considered correct.

S. nigra is native to Europe, S. canadensis is native to North America; S. nigra cultivars have larger fruit clusters and superior growth habits. Other than that, there are minor differences and any pair from the species will act as mutual pollenizers.

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Quoting:
Mine didn't make it through our drought last fall - I'm bummed.

You're in good company. We're all bums here, for one reason or another! I keep a card file on all the plants that fail here, and it's so thick I need two hands to pick it up.
:-(

Guy S.

Hey Guy....small borders - small stack of failures. Big arboretum - bigger stack, huh?

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Quoting:
Hey Guy....small borders - small stack of failures. Big arboretum - bigger stack, huh?

Yeah, sure Terry, go ahead and make me feel even worse!!! I hate losing plants, even if I knew when I planted them it was somewhere between risky and hopeless. Every one is like a kid, raised from seed found in the wild or adopted from some specialty nursery. But it's nice to find the occasional pleasant surprises too, in the form of survivals, and you can't do that if you don't gamble.

Guy S.

Thank you all! I have it now. I think that I got it from Forest Farm, but it is still small, and for here, is watered every day throughout the summer. It has survived, but, it is slow-growing. I have it in my "Dark Side Garden", which has a combination of dark flowers and dark foliage. The foliage does not stay dark thoughout the summer, and with the least provocation of having missed watering for a day will be shown on the leaves.

The best and longest dark color is the Physocarpus Nine-Bark 'Diablo'. It stays dark and grows well. For ground cover, the prettiest is the Oxalis triangularis, which has pretty pale pink flowers as well and lovely dark purple leaves. Also, the 'Black Mondo Grass', Ophiopogon planiscapus 'Nigrescens', is the darkest of all - appearing to be truly black!

Does any one have any suggestions? Though watered well in the summer, part of the day gets bright, hot sun for several hours. Until the Black Bamboo Grow to shade them. There was an unsightly shrub outside the fence which had to be cut back, as it was planned to be a shady garden. Most have adapted. And that bed, with heavy clay soil has been amended for years, is quite nice and friable.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

evelyn, sorry no suggestions - we were extremely disappointed with 'Black Beauty' - would not hold its "black" foliage through the summer. On the other hand, if you truly want black foliage for your "dark" garden the newer choice for Sambucus, 'Black Lace' has performed admirably, keeping the "black" foliage all summer long and in a full sun location to boot! Although sometimes advertised with pictures of it planted in a container, be forewarned this beauty gets BIG! However, it responds well to a severe pruning to keep it smaller.

Thumbnail by rcn48
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I think it's something about the humidity--there were some discussion of this last year, and I think it turned out that Black Beauty has trouble holding its blackness in the more humid areas of the country, but it did better on the west coast where our summers aren't humid. I think they also need to get a certain amount of sun in order for the leaves to stay dark, so if it's in too shady of a location it may not stay dark. Unfortunately if you live in a hot summer climate, you may not be able to grow it with enough sun to keep it dark.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Here's a link to a thread from last year--seems heat and humidity are both bad for it keeping its color. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/649584/

Mount Laurel, NJ(Zone 7a)

Interesting comments...I have Sambucus Black Beauty ‘Guizho purple’ here in humid south Jersey. I was wondering why it never got dark foliage. The foliage stays pretty green. I was thinking I had a mismarked plant all this time.

North Augusta, ON

I tried this thing twice....it wasn't happy anywhere I put it......it is beautiful, but on my Do Not Try Again list......sigh.....

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I have successfully grown this in Kalispell, MT in a sunny location that the plant has thrived. Our summers are dry and the plant is irrigated. It will grow about 10' in diameter each year. The flowers are long lived and emerge in the late summer and last for a month or more. The foilage here is very dark and the flowers are beautiful. I love this plant. It is in ammended soil with lots of compost and clay. I top dress it each year with compost to feed the tremendous growth. I have alternated the plantings with another Sambucus 'Madonna' that is bright and varigated to give a dramatic effect with the dark and light. This is the flower.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Total zone envy here, Soferdig :( But then I've seen your pictures of 'Tiger Eyes' and I'm even more envious - still struggling with "TE". I'm giving it one last shot - picked up our second plant of this beauty a few weeks ago and going to try a different location with plans for a dedicated watering regime.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Well zone envy goes both ways. I must say that NW Montana is a good place to garden. Hopefully we get lots of snow this year. We need our water table to rise. Oh yes I need to ski powder!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.