Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: English Daisy?

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 15, Views: 207
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Bug_Girl
San Francisco, CA

November 19, 2002
2:26 AM

Post #412906

This is a large size plant, not like the small ones so I am not sure on the id for the data base.

Thumbnail by Bug_Girl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Baa

November 19, 2002
1:53 PM

Post #413115

This isn't Bellis perennis (US common name English Daisy) it looks like an Anthemis.

http://images.google.com/images?q=Anthemis&hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

However, be careful on species identification, there are over 100 different species and many look very similar.
Bug_Girl
San Francisco, CA

November 19, 2002
2:14 PM

Post #413128

I just took another picture to show size. It can not be english daisy due to the foliage, I can see that now. I have this plant, but it never looked as good as when I photographed it June. It was a dying reject from home depot no tag. I love saving dying plants. I will check the link. Maybe this picture is better for id, then the prettier one?

Thumbnail by Bug_Girl

Baa

November 19, 2002
3:08 PM

Post #413164

Ahh now the leaves offer a different perspective, it could be Chamamelum, Chrysanthemum, Anthemis, Leucanthemum or a Tanacetum.

OK are the leaves scented?

Is the plant mat forming, shrubby or soft?

and How tall does it grow?

Poppysue and Mark (among others) are excellent IDers of Asteraceae, perhaps they will pop by too
mark
Antrim, Northern Ire
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

November 19, 2002
3:22 PM

Post #413173

it's an Argyranthemum but there are too many white ones to choose from to name this one

http://www.marksgardenplants.com/argyranthemums.htm
and
http://www.marksgardenplants.com/argyranthemums2.htm

Mark
Bug_Girl
San Francisco, CA

November 19, 2002
3:25 PM

Post #413174

It is not scented, and feels soft, here is a photo for scale.

Thumbnail by Bug_Girl

Baa

November 19, 2002
3:27 PM

Post #413175

Look like Mark has come up with the goods again! :)
mark
Antrim, Northern Ire
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

November 19, 2002
3:43 PM

Post #413184

y'see a plant can be anything when viewed from the wrong angle. until we/I saw the leaves and the actual plant from a low angle and not a birdseye view it could have been any Asteraceae/Composite/daisy.

glad to be of service
Bug_Girl
San Francisco, CA

November 20, 2002
12:46 AM

Post #413491

Oh what a beautiful link, I will take a close up of the flower to compare, but it is dark now. I took some photos for the data base today, in fact, ones I know what they are, I photographed the tags.
Bug_Girl
San Francisco, CA

November 23, 2002
3:41 AM

Post #415820

Argyranthemum broussonetti
I think that is what it is, I am having trouble with the manual focus, but this photo shows one of the flowers in focus.

Thumbnail by Bug_Girl

mark
Antrim, Northern Ire
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

November 23, 2002
8:25 AM

Post #415884

Argyranthemum broussonetti

Thumbnail by mark

mark
Antrim, Northern Ire
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

November 23, 2002
8:28 AM

Post #415885

Bug Girl

I think you are too close to the flowers when you photograph them. thats why the flower in the background is in focus.

your plant doesnt have enough petals to be Argyranthemum broussonetti which has more petals which are longer and have a yellow base to the petals
Bug_Girl
San Francisco, CA

November 23, 2002
3:15 PM

Post #416025

I guess it must be one that is not on that page, that was my closest match, oh well.
Bug_Girl
San Francisco, CA

April 20, 2003
1:26 AM

Post #515084

A terrible lose, but the plant died. It developed an odd problem in that the stems closer to the base became very mushy over the winter, then they began to break off. I don't know it was a fungal diesase or if it died of old age.
I saw a similar plant but then I did not want to try it until I know why this one died.

Thumbnail by Bug_Girl

mark
Antrim, Northern Ire
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

April 20, 2003
10:02 AM

Post #515371

they cant take any freezing. to keep them alive they need to be above freezing all winter. They are cheap enough here for me to buy rooted cuttings every year. I can get these for $2 each
Bug_Girl
San Francisco, CA

April 20, 2003
11:43 AM

Post #515394

I see, I should consider them annuals. We had our warmest winter last year, no frezze, and a couple hostas refused to come back because of this.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 22 Nov 3, 2014 6:02 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America