Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

PlantFiles Pictures: '"Blue Wonder"' (Scaevola Aemula)

Communities > Forums > PlantFiles Pictures
bookmark
Forum: PlantFiles PicturesReplies: 2, Views: 399
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jkom51
Oakland, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 19, 2002
2:49 AM

Post #412924

Fan Flower, Fanflower 'Blue Wonder'
Scaevola aemula
Hybridized by Rother, 1991
Additional info: (PP07929)

Scaevola in wall planter next to white lantana

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/54290/

Thumbnail by jkom51
Click the image for an enlarged view.

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 17, 2003
5:12 AM

Post #492157

I didnt' have good luck with this plant. I was told it would do well in shade but now I'm beginning to wonder if that is the problem...?
jkom51
Oakland, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 17, 2003
3:40 PM

Post #492372

My experience with this plant has been pretty good overall but I noticed a couple of things. We're in zone 9 (Sunset garden zone 17) coastal Northern CA, so we have mild winters, warm dry summers with a good dose of fog and occasional periods of strong winds. We get 7-10 frost days on average per year.

First -- this plant literally sulked for a full two months after being planted from a quart can. I actually thought it was dead (being a newbie) and asked my gardener to pull it out. He checked the lower stems and said, no, it's still alive, give it another month and we'll see what happens.

Sure enough, suddenly it decided everything was OK and took off, blooming like crazy. It didn't stop blooming until the colder weather started, and even then had a few scattered flowers.

Both my plants got leaned on too heavily by shrub lantana planted next to them, and started to look a bit ratty. I cleaned out the brown stems underneath, cut it back a bit, and less than two months later (we've had a VERY mild winter this year with lots of 60-degree sunny days in 2003) it is recovering nicely and putting up lots of new growth.

Mine are in a planter box (so not a lot of soil medium) atop a south-facing retaining wall as I was advised they needed a lot of sun. Our summers will get up to about 75-degrees on average, 30-65% humidity. They get watered either once a week or once every two weeks depending on the weather, soil is allowed to dry out a bit. I'm erratic about feeding them but do sprinkle a slow-release fertilizer over the planter occasionally.

Hope this helps you! It's a really beautiful plant when it gets going.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other PlantFiles Pictures Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Japanese Silver Grass, Miscanthus, Eulalia, Maiden Grass, Zebra Grass (Miscanthu hczone6 2 Oct 4, 2010 7:21 PM
Feather Reed Grass (Calamagrostis acutiflora) hczone6 1 Mar 23, 2009 1:36 PM
Lanceleaf Coreopsis, Tickseed Coreopsis (Coreopsis lanceolata) dave 1 Jul 18, 2010 11:26 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Estella' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 7 Mar 24, 2011 7:32 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Grand Marnier' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 1 Apr 24, 2011 6:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America