Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

PlantFiles Pictures: Pink Moon Vine (Ipomoea macrorhiza)

Communities > Forums > PlantFiles Pictures
bookmark
Forum: PlantFiles PicturesReplies: 5, Views: 575
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MOLLYBEE
Villa Rica, GA
(Zone 7a)

November 19, 2002
1:03 PM

Post #413091

Pink Moon Vine
Ipomoea macrorhiza

This is the tuber from a "small" Ipomoea macrorhiza vine.
This one didn't bloom this year but the mother plant did, I assumed at first glance that this was "several" plants because it had at least 4-5 vines popping up out of the soil. I decided to make a trade with "one" of the little vines and when I started digging...this is what I found!! This is the size of a baseball!! So I just wonder how big the "Mother plants" bulb is?!! I'm sure it has to be at least the size of a grapefruit!!

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/53206/

Thumbnail by MOLLYBEE
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Vero191
Lillian, AL

November 1, 2003
12:11 PM

Post #697669

I planted some seeds for this vine three years ago and it just bloomed this year.I never saw the flowers because we were gone so I was happy to see the picture of the flower..I never knew the name of the plant until I saw the picture of your plant..Do you think it could be invasive..That root is a big one So like you I can imagine what the mother root looks like...The flower is very pretty...I have many seeds but I didn't want to share the seeds until I found out more information about the vine..I didn't want to give anyone an invasive plant.. I bought my seeds from a gal that was selling them at a festival in FL.Do you know if there is any negative growth habits of this vine? Is it invasive?

Thumbnail by Vero191
Click the image for an enlarged view.

MOLLYBEE
Villa Rica, GA
(Zone 7a)

November 1, 2003
3:20 PM

Post #697862

I would only "guess" that it could be invasive in the warmer zones. I am in zone 7 and I found that it dies during the winter here. So for hotter zones, it could be.
I planted 3 seeds last spring and did manage to get 2 good vines out of them. They are slow to start, and seem to really take off when it season gets closer to the end.
Good luck with your seeds, I know that once I posted that I had some for trade, they went very fast!!
So you have some pretty popular seeds there :)
Vero191
Lillian, AL

November 1, 2003
5:10 PM

Post #697952

I've never traded seeds on this site I just joined today...You said your plants had young ones sprouting from the mother plant..We live in southern AL and if we get a frost the plant dies back...I think the leaves are pretty... We were gone for the summer months so I never got to see the flowers.I thought the seeds pods were the bud of the flowers. It was nice to see the picture of your flower now I know what they looked like..It took my plant three year to flower...It grew so slow..Yours grew faster then my plant. Do you know what Zones you can grow the vine? I'm in zone 4 up north for the summer. :)
MOLLYBEE
Villa Rica, GA
(Zone 7a)

November 1, 2003
8:02 PM

Post #698042

Didn't realize you were new here, Welcome!! You're gonna love it here!

Now that I have had time to think about it, I think I remember planting the seeds the year before and didn't get any sign of growth the first year. The second year is when I found that it had started to grow(which was last year)
But this year, the plant didn't come back for me at all, no signs of it whatsoever. So I started seeds this past spring in the house here and hoped for the best. I traded several of the seedlings(about 5" tall) and then planted what I had left.
As for the zone they grow best in...hmmm I would only be guessing if I said anything on that question. Because I didn't do alot of internet searching on it.
I'm unsure of the type of weather you have in your zone 4.
But if all else fails, pot it up and bring it in .
TwinLakesChef
OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA
(Zone 4b)

November 1, 2003
8:49 PM

Post #698063

Beautiful!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other PlantFiles Pictures Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Japanese Silver Grass, Miscanthus, Eulalia, Maiden Grass, Zebra Grass (Miscanthu hczone6 2 Oct 4, 2010 7:21 PM
Feather Reed Grass (Calamagrostis acutiflora) hczone6 1 Mar 23, 2009 1:36 PM
Lanceleaf Coreopsis, Tickseed Coreopsis (Coreopsis lanceolata) dave 1 Jul 18, 2010 11:26 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Estella' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 7 Mar 24, 2011 7:32 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Grand Marnier' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 1 Apr 24, 2011 6:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America