Forum: Books, Movies, and TVReplies: 8, Views: 210
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dave

May 21, 2001
2:01 AM

Post #5129

Well, for you science fiction readers out there, if you haven't read any of ERB's books, you are seriously missing out.

The intelligent and thought provocing writing style is as interesting today as it was well over half a century ago. His writings bring back the vocabulary and witticism that seems to have been lost somewhere, and the imagination is fueled by seeing science fiction from the point of view of a man living in the 1930s.

In the book, At the Earth's Core, the hero, David Innes, travels with a colleage to the center to the earth, where he discovers an entire new world, replete with races of humans, animals, and monsters who control the world. It gets interesting when he decides that he can use his outer-world knowledge to assist these humans in overcoming their reptilian captors, as well as, of course, win the love of a princess of the local tribe.

You can read the book online at: http://www.literature.org/authors/burroughs-edgar-rice/at-the-earths-core/

Dave
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 21, 2001
5:21 AM

Post #75950

Hey cool -- an online link. I'll have to look at that. I like H.G. Wells' "War of the Worlds". He conveyed the horror and hopelessness of people facing the most terrifying foe imaginable. Loved that!
gardener_mick
Wentworth, SD
(Zone 4a)

May 21, 2001
5:24 PM

Post #76062

I will have to pick that one up. I love sci-fi!
Artena

(Zone 3a)

May 23, 2001
9:39 PM

Post #76644

I love ERB, was going to read Jules Verne's -Journey to the Center of the Earth-but found it very dry and dull.
Really got into ERB. It has been many years since and have forgotten most of the characters, but this is a great reminder to re-visit an old friend.
Thank you very much,Dave,
Tena
chris

(Zone 6a)

May 26, 2001
2:18 AM

Post #77316

these where my favorite books in junior high school I read the whole set...
jan
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8b)

May 28, 2001
9:07 PM

Post #77963

I have never read his "Earth's Core" series. I sure I am missing out. My favorite was his "clean limbed fightin man" (John Smith was it?) and the martian princess series Dejah Thoris (sp?). Although I like Burroughs, my favorite author is Robert Heinlen. Anything at all, everthing is wonderful, "Glory Road", all the Lazarus Long stories, and of course "Stranger in a Strange Land".
Jan

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

June 3, 2001
4:46 AM

Post #79586

Now there's sci-fi...aka the 'star wars' stuff and sf which are the treasures we are discussing here.

I'm a R.A.Heinlein fan from decades ago and E.R.B. too.
Ray Bradbury wrote science fiction 'poetry'.The way he chose his words was marvelous.

But Frank Herbert's world of Dune captivated me since I was a teen.Got the whole series in hardbound editions and visit these old friends every so often. Ignore Dune movies...they're junk.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

July 12, 2007
7:54 AM

Post #3726692

Wanted to bump this - these wonderful writers deserve to be brought out of the closet every few years, and DG may be a way to introduce them to new readers. ERB - Pellucidar, John Carter of Mars...wonderful stuff!

Heinlein!!! The best! Have everything he ever wrote - including The Notebooks of Lazarus Long - a comic type book, but Stranger in a Strange Land is one of my all time favorite books...and we are talking thousands of books read and loved.

Herbert's Dune and Rand's Atlas Shrugged (though not exactly sci fi on this one) will make you re-think how you view society and things we take for granted.

If you ever get tired of the blood and gore of the new "sci-fi", give any of these authors a try and you will be transported...enjoy!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Books, Movies, and TV Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Harry Potter?? evelyn_inthegar 63 Feb 23, 2008 5:25 AM
Stephen King's Dark Tower gardenwife 40 Dec 20, 2010 9:34 PM
What's The Story With Johnny Appleseed? VGMKY 13 Jul 26, 2008 2:00 AM
Fictionwise FREE ebooks drop 4 May 28, 2007 3:39 AM
24 Hour the tv show anastatia 164 May 2, 2007 7:10 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America