Photo by Melody

PlantFiles Pictures: Rose Fountain Grass, Purple Fountain Grass 'Rubrum' (Pennisetum setaceum)

Communities > Forums > PlantFiles Pictures
bookmark
Forum: PlantFiles PicturesReplies: 4, Views: 907
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jkom51
Oakland, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 23, 2002
4:35 AM

Post #415837

Rose Fountain Grass, Purple Fountain Grass 'Rubrum'
Pennisetum setaceum
Additional info: (Graceful Grasses™ series)

P.setaceum 'Rubrum'--an unusually vigorous specimen, this one grew from a 1-gall can in 6 mos. to 6'TxW !!

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1491/

Thumbnail by jkom51
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Aotearoa
New York City, NY
(Zone 6b)

November 23, 2002
4:32 PM

Post #416064

Extra~ordinary. How old is this planting?

Adam.
farizona
Bowie, AZ
(Zone 8B)

November 24, 2002
11:33 AM

Post #416552

This is beautiful!! I have a small specimen of this- two nights ago it was eaten down to about 8 inches by an open range (friendly?) cow. My fountain grass is several years old but much smaller probably due to dry desert climate. It dies to the ground each year and comes up rather late in spring.
jkom51
Oakland, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 28, 2002
5:07 AM

Post #419201

The picture was taken when the Pennisetum was exactly six months old, in Sept 2002. In a picture when it was planted in early March '02, it is just about 1x1'. A tribute to good quality compost and a sunny location, I guess! Actually, it was getting too big, so my husband and I yanked it out in Oct. and divided it into thirds. The divisions have been cut back and put in pots. It's been two months and with moderate watering they are starting to grow again. Looks like they stay purplish-red as long as they receive occasional water. We have 3 other Rubrums planted at the same time that are more moderately sized, between 3-5' but no more than 3' across.
mandmcandy
Hanover, KS

October 3, 2009
8:37 PM

Post #7131189

This purple fountain grass is just beautiful. Do you know if it is to be considered an annual in Kansas, zone 5? I hesitate to plant any because of our cold winters.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other PlantFiles Pictures Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Japanese Silver Grass, Miscanthus, Eulalia, Maiden Grass, Zebra Grass (Miscanthu hczone6 2 Oct 4, 2010 7:21 PM
Feather Reed Grass (Calamagrostis acutiflora) hczone6 1 Mar 23, 2009 1:36 PM
Lanceleaf Coreopsis, Tickseed Coreopsis (Coreopsis lanceolata) dave 1 Jul 18, 2010 11:26 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Estella' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 7 Mar 24, 2011 7:32 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Grand Marnier' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 1 Apr 24, 2011 6:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America