Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Books, Movies, and TV: Harry Potter??

Communities > Forums > Books, Movies, and TV
bookmark
Forum: Books, Movies, and TVReplies: 63, Views: 637
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

November 24, 2002
7:24 PM

Post #416807

I have read all the Harry Potter books with enthusiasm. And now enjoyed the movies. Am I the only adult that likes them??

And what about the controversy about the book being evil? It seems to me that Harry is brave about going against what is evil. Have the books really been banned from schools? I would think to encourage kids to read would be good.

The Good vs. Evil, does the good outweigh the "evil"??
motts1
south central, WI
(Zone 5a)

November 24, 2002
7:42 PM

Post #416814

I LOVED them and good does outweigh the evil; those that oppose them should take a good look at some of the old fairy tales. This is a wonderful series about young people that overcome adversities and see their potential. I am off to the movie this week YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Aotearoa
New York City, NY
(Zone 6b)

November 26, 2002
2:12 PM

Post #418100

Personally, I think the Good vs. Evil thing is a political ploy used by people to gain leverage in debates having nothing to do with the book.

The Harry Potter books, while nicely done and thoughtfully plotted, owe a huge debt of gratitute to several other important literary works, from which plot elements, characterizations, or even scenes are borrowed.

That being said, both my wife and I enjoy the books and the films.

If you enjoyed the Potter books (as I also did), try "The Chronicles of Narnia" (seven volumes), by C. S. Lewis, written as an extended Christian allegory for young readers. It has Good vs. Evil, wizards, witches, talking animals, a unicorn, and children adventuring in a mythical kingdom.

Narnia is written to a much higher literary standard than Potter, by a true scholar / artist and reflective theologian. By the way, there was similar noise about the Narnia series being Evil when it was first released nearly a century ago..., naturally by those not bothering to open the covers of the book.

Then there is "The Once and Future King," by T. H. White. This is a spectacularly prismatic retelling of the Arthurian saga. Merlin, the wizard, gets younger and more innocent every day, even as he battles Evil. The chapter on young Arthur learning the meaning and importance of ethics and virtue by learning falconry is breathtaking. There are knights, castles, conflicts of morality and the heart, poliotocal crisis, the testing of faith. And the knights take off on a quest for the grail.

Naturally, some folks not bothering to open the covers of T. H. White's masterwork or aquaint themselves with history scream that the book is all about Evil. Yet, they forget that the GRAIL the knights seek is the cloak Christ wore at crucifixion, and so the book is all about the power of faith and the search for God.

Oh, by the way, Disney made a really bad cartoon version of "The Once and Future King." Miss it is you possibly can.

Happy Holiday Reading.

Adam.

kat7
Bloomingdale, NJ
(Zone 6a)

November 27, 2002
1:38 PM

Post #418709

I read all the Harry Potter books and absolutely loved them, even have the first movie on DVD. I think the books would be excellent for young adult readers. I think those that think the books are evil have not even read them. I believe that they tell kids that anybody can be somebody special and that good does triumph over evil. Can't wait to see the second movie!!!
Kathy

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 28, 2002
2:02 PM

Post #419347

Evelyn, you have good company in all the adults I know who read and love the harry Potter books! I have not read #4, but am on the wait list at the library.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

December 8, 2002
12:55 AM

Post #424912

I am on the waiting list for the fifth one. (HP)

Adam, I really enjoyed "The Chronicles of Narnia". Also there was a PBS series which followed the books closely, some time ago. They used to re-introduce them on fund-raising drives, but I think they have been shown quite a few times.

Not sure if I have read E.T. White. I will check them out, thanks!
Sqwidgetz
Tucson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 7, 2003
6:59 PM

Post #444004

My DH and I love Harry Potter...the whole controversy is that since he is a wizard he is trying to seduce young children into devil-worshipping.

I actually have a very religious friend who will not allow his son to see any of the movies or read the books. It's pretty sad.

I've read the C.S. Lewis Narnia series as well as many of his other work. All excellently written. Haven't read T.H. White yet.

What I want to know...is why can't a book just be a book? Why does it have to be anything other than a story to fascinate and entertain? When I read the Narnia series, I read it to amuse myself not as a Christian allegory. I used to read the entire series every year as a child. It's a series I would recommend to anyone, regardless of their religion.
Aotearoa
New York City, NY
(Zone 6b)

January 7, 2003
7:35 PM

Post #444019

Sqwidgetz

I totally agree with you, that a book is just a book. And I would be ever so grateful if others approached reading in the way you describe.

However, sometimes it assists us in understanding the artist's work to examine his or her intentions. What is it the author would like us to understand from the story they labor to tell?

In the case of Lewis, looking at the body of work ~~~ and much of it is exquisitly crafted language to be sure ~~~ we know he wrote to us through the lens of a devoutly and passionatly felt Christianity.

And whether the reader does or does not subscribe to the theology Lewis so gorgeously describes, it is my..., er..., prayer, that anyone picking up one of his many wonderous volumes is transported and enobled by the beauty of the work.

My principal reason for even mentioning that Narnia is a Christian allegory, is to point out that sometimes hysterics object to things of which they are fully ingnorant, thereby reinforcing their ignorance.

Thanks for your thoughtful post. Much appreciated.

Adam.
Sqwidgetz
Tucson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 7, 2003
8:05 PM

Post #444039

Aotearoa,

It's not that I was disagreeing with you...because I actually do agree, it's just that sometimes too much emphasis is made on what something is and what something isn't.

I also didn't want people to shy away from the Narnia series thinking it may be too preachy or that you had to be a very devout to appreciate it.

I am very pleased that I found someone who loves his work as much as I do. The way you describe his work is evidence of that. *hugs*
flowox
Newark, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 23, 2003
2:46 PM

Post #455301

My son will be 13 this January and he's read all 4 books and can't wait for the next one to come out. I took him and my 10 year old daughter to the movies both times when the 1st one and the 2nd one were released and can't wait for the next one to come out at the theater. When talking to my mom about a week or so ago she said that she can't wait to see the 2nd movie when it comes out on tape. I told her that she will probably have to wait a while longer and she was kind of disappointed. So I guess you can add my mom and I to the list of adults who like Harry Potter :o)
Pardancanda
"down the Shore", NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 12, 2003
2:53 AM

Post #467654

I am a reader, and will read almost anything, even the cereal box at breakfast. However, I am not a fan of fantasy... Until Harry Potter. Just had to see what all the fuss was about, and borrowed the first book, which I never put down until it was finished. Then spent the weekend reading 2,3 and 4. Found the movie fairly true to the book, more so than usual... Stephen King books translate badly, in my opinion.

Adam, I always thought the Holy Grail was the Chalice used at the Last Supper. The Cloak idea is new to me. Can you fill me in a little on that? Does the Object vary at all from time to time?

Thanks, John
notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

February 12, 2003
1:34 PM

Post #467842

we dont have harry at our house!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 13, 2003
1:06 PM

Post #468774

John... How funny to see someone else use the same words I use to describe how I read (even breakfast cereal boxes)! Like you, I also thought the Grail was the cup from the last supper.

Despite being a Baptist, I find no quarrel with the wizardry in the Harry Potter books. I believe everyone could use a good imagination, and think it's essential in children if they are ever to learn to think outside the box.
Pardancanda
"down the Shore", NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2003
1:38 PM

Post #468795

the 'cereal' box? :-)

I had some mixed feelings about the wizardry/magic, but noted they celebrated Christmas... Decided it was 'just a book' (although can't that be dangerous?) and another version of Good vs. Evil...

John

notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

February 15, 2003
5:18 PM

Post #470225

my boys arent in to harry because they have choose not to be they aernt into sponge bob either!
kegan is into the Michigan chillers ever since he met the author and got his book signed!
They love yugioh too-thats the new craze around here!
They love the lord of the rings!!! =] me too!
Pardancanda
"down the Shore", NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 15, 2003
10:05 PM

Post #470421

dori, I finally rented some dvd's of spongebob, and enjoy watching them. Had to see what all the fuss was about.
notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

February 15, 2003
10:23 PM

Post #470429

I like it but the 9yr old thinks its stupid a sponge that has to live in a pineapple under the sea,and they have a swimming pool under the water-thats just dumb he says!!!
I thought it was cute!
Pardancanda
"down the Shore", NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 16, 2003
12:59 AM

Post #470534

It is cute! I am a little disturbed by the Lobster who sells Crabpatties though...
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

July 22, 2006
12:34 AM

Post #2532772

The 6th book comes out July 25th 2006, link to Barnes and Noble (however they say it is only coming out in paperback first???):

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbninquiry.asp?ISBN=0439785960&z=y&r=1&cds2Pid=9456

I found it is always cheapest to buy the hardback at Sam's Club or to wait and buy in town at a used book store, it never takes long before they have tons of copies. =)

This message was edited Jul 21, 2006 6:35 PM
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 22, 2006
1:52 AM

Post #2533084

Hurrah! I've been waiting for the paperback... I'm generally too cheap to buy books in hardcover, plus I find paperbacks easier to hold for reading. Tir, the hardcover version of this one came out last summer. Just think, you could've read it a year ago!

We rented "HP & the Goblet of Fire" on DVD recently, and I have to say that I thought the movie was actually better than the book... I thought this one was the weakest story in the series, being more a description of the various "challenges" and less about plots twists or character development.
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

July 22, 2006
1:54 AM

Post #2533093

Oh my I should have paid closer attention to the advertisement, you are correct...it HAS been out, it's just announcing the arrival of the paperback! Here I've got the hardcover already sitting on my bookshelf. *shaking head and laughing*

This message was edited Jul 21, 2006 8:10 PM
ceceoh
Columbus, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 23, 2006
1:18 AM

Post #2536038

Tir-Na-Nog. You sound like you have the same kind of memory for books and movies as me and my sister. Somebody had to convince me the other day that, yes, they HAD lent me this movie, and I had already seen it. "Well", I asked them, "did I enjoy it?"

So I guess you can go back and re-read "Half-Blood Prince" like it was the first time!
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

July 23, 2006
1:21 AM

Post #2536051

Oh my gosh, nice to meet a kindred!!!! I am TOTALLY like that. My DH recalls details from the books different from the movies and I'll say, "That didn't happen in the book?!" He'll say, "Yeah, yeah it did." I didn't remember the staircases moving in the books as they did in the movies.

I can watch a movie and 1-2 years later, if only seen once, re-watch it like brand new! I have Princess Bride almost memorized though. =)
Galanthophile
North East England
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

July 24, 2006
4:56 PM

Post #2542022

I love the Harry Potter books and films and can't wait for the final book next year. I'll be sad though as there will be no more after that. I think they are so entertaining for children and adults alike, JKR always puts in plenty of jokes for the adults. I think the films have been excellent too and have tried to do justice to the books. So is Snape a baddie or not? Is Dumbledore still alive? Who will get killed off? There's some wild speculation going on!
zhinu
(Laura) Olympia, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 26, 2006
10:17 AM

Post #2549496

Sorry for the long post, I just found this thread and I had a lot to say.

I love the books! I was resistant to them for quite a while for no reason I can understand. I read a lot and am always looking for cool new series. I also have nothing against children's books. I read children's books even before I started pre-reading juvenile and young adult books that I think my future step-daughter might enjoy, to see if they are too adult for her. She really enjoyed The Spiderwick Chronicles by Holly Black. That's the only one I've found that I thought she would like, was age appropriate (in my opinion), and that I could get her to listen to, but I keep trying. I didn't end up reading the Harry Potter books until I picked up a copy of the first three UK editions in London as a present for a friend of mine who is fanatical about Harry Potter. I ended up needing something to read on the ferry to France, I had those, so I started to read the first one and was hooked. My friend never did end up getting those copies.

I thought the movies were pretty good. I had watched the first two before I read the books. I actually have been to opening day on all three kind of randomly. I went to the first one because something else was sold out, the second one because it was my friends birthday and thatís what she wanted to do, and the third because I couldnít wait to see it, for better or worse. Because I saw the first two movies before reading the books, I donít have one of the issues I generally have when they make books into movie, which is the characters not looking right to me. When I read the books I see the actors. I actually have the scene where Harryís father is tormenting Snape when they were children in my head as if I had already seen it in a movie. I actually thought I had seen it in one of the movies for awhile. I do think they are really good movies, but, I still think the changes they made to make them in to movies lose part of the soul of the book.

Aotearoa - The Once and Future King by T. H. White is my mother's favorite book. I really think it should be more popular than it is. No one seems to know it anymore. My favorite part is when he's an ant. It reminds me of 1984 by George Orwell.

critterologist - Finally! Someone else agrees that especially large hardcovers are too hard to read. I still haven't read Quicksilver by Neil Stephenson all the way through, even though I really want to and enjoyed the part I have read, because I can't find a paperback copy, and it's just too big and heavy for me to read in hardcover.

Tir_Na_Nog - I used to be able to recite the Princess Bride. That's what happens when you're an insomniac and use a movie to go to sleep too many times.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 31, 2006
4:27 AM

Post #2569392

Oh yes, The Once and Future King is brilliant!

I know I've mentioned Patricia C. Wrede's books elsewhere recently, but check into her for your stepdaughter, Zhinu. Her "Dragon" books are among my favorites for reading aloud -- but do start with _Talking to Dragons_, even though it's not "chronicalogically" the first book. (Think of how you should read _The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe_ first in CS Lewis' Narnia series, even though there is another book, _The Magician's Nephew_, about Narnia's beginnings.)

pepsidrinker
La Salle, MI
(Zone 5b)

October 31, 2006
3:56 PM

Post #2868714

Hey Critter, thanks I didn't know about The Magician's Nephew_, about Narnia's beginnings... I will have to get that one...

My son had bought me all the Harry Potter in Hard Back, I can hardly wait for #7 to come out on 7/07/07 :o)

Just a shame we have to wait so long for the movies to be completed.

cg
White_Hydrangea
Aurora, CO
(Zone 5a)

November 17, 2006
5:55 PM

Post #2922495

Tir na Nog, at the last science fiction convention I went to, I bought a tee shirt that had one of those name tags printed on it. You know the ones, HELLO My name is...

But this one said, "HELLO! My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

Loved Princess Bride!

And I can't wait for the last Harry Potter book to come out. But it'll be a little sad, too, because then there will be no more HP books after that.
pepsidrinker
La Salle, MI
(Zone 5b)

December 20, 2006
2:05 PM

Post #3013585

I thought you all might enjoy this, especially those of you who haven't read

The Chronicles of Narnia

The Magician's Nephew, Narnia's beginnings
http://www.geocities.com/kawebb99/MN.html

The Chronicles of Narnia
http://www.geocities.com/kawebb99/LWW.html

Prince Caspian
http://www.geocities.com/kawebb99/PC.html

Voyage of the Dawn Treader
http://www.geocities.com/kawebb99/VDT.html

The Silver Chair
http://www.geocities.com/kawebb99/SC.html

The Horse and His Boy
http://www.geocities.com/kawebb99/HHB.html

The Last Battle
http://www.geocities.com/kawebb99/LB.html
http://www.geocities.com/kawebb99/LB2.html

Merry Christmas

Connie
ceceoh
Columbus, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 22, 2006
7:44 PM

Post #3019440

Has everyone seen the name for the Final Harry Potter book? Sounds like Harry's going to take a peak behind that curtain he saw in book 5.

I can't wait!!
kniphofia
Morpeth
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

December 22, 2006
7:55 PM

Post #3019476

Yes the new title sounds intriguing. Does everyone think the next book will come out on 7/7/07?
ceceoh
Columbus, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 22, 2006
8:59 PM

Post #3019606

I heard that it will come out on Harry Potter's birthday, which is July 31st. I just hope it comes soon!
pepsidrinker
La Salle, MI
(Zone 5b)

December 22, 2006
9:01 PM

Post #3019608

I can't remember where I read it at but it was stated the it would come out on7/07/07, the reason I remember it the commit was stated that it was perfect 777 which represents perfection :o)

Connie
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

February 1, 2007
2:27 PM

Post #3145323

white hydrangea: LOVE that shirt. BWAHAHAHAHA!

pepsidrinker: the NEXT HARRY POTTER COMES OUT JULY 21, 2007 (per Amazon).

Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows
pepsidrinker
La Salle, MI
(Zone 5b)

February 1, 2007
3:11 PM

Post #3145469

hmmm the 21st? I was told in chat this morning it was coming out July 25th or 27th

Either date is fine with me :o) just as long as its sooner than later lol

Can hardly wait to read it...

Connie
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

February 1, 2007
3:25 PM

Post #3145498

Link to Amazon home page, news at top:

http://amazon.com/

I can hardly wait either!
PlantMomto3
Nevada, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2007
5:27 PM

Post #3145950

July 21!!! I can't wait. We get The Order of the Phoenix movie on the 13th and the book on the 21st. She states that two main characters die. Hopefully, not Harry or his two friends.
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

February 1, 2007
5:38 PM

Post #3145989

Did you see where Radcliffe is in London's West End's production of Equus? It's a very demanding role...haven't seen the play since I was in my early teens and the movie since my early 20's. Lets hope he can pull it off well.
PlantMomto3
Nevada, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2007
6:02 PM

Post #3146055

Yes, it's causing quite a lot of talk--he appears nude. I hope he does well too. I know in interviews he stated that he took the role in Equus to show that he was more than "Harry Potter."
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

February 1, 2007
6:13 PM

Post #3146087

I wonder when the human body nude became something that caused such a shock to so many people LOL ..
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

February 1, 2007
7:04 PM

Post #3146261

Radcliffe was who in Harry Potter?

Full nudity in entertainment usually does create a stir. I had no idea plays could be rated R same as movies! It's all in how you see it though araness. I personally don't want to see anyone's nude body in a play, movie or TV.
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

February 1, 2007
7:17 PM

Post #3146308

Guess it is personal, and yes Danial Radcliffe who was in Harry Potter. As far as nudity and this play is concerned really don't see how it could be done without it. Been years as I said since I saw the play (was 15 or 16 at the time) and was in my early 20's when I saw the movie but the play made a major impact. It was very well done and I'm trying to recall if if it was full frontal or not, it wasn't something that stood out so can't recall.
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

February 1, 2007
7:25 PM

Post #3146335

OHHHH "Daniel Radcliffe" of course! I just needed the 2 names put together. =) Wow. I am disappointed in him now. I'll try not to let it influence my enjoyment of the Potter series. To bad people think they must (or perhaps they do) need to go to such extremes to separate themselves from previous characters.
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

February 1, 2007
7:34 PM

Post #3146363

Why would you think badly of him? It's a stunning play! It won a Tony in 75 and justly so...it's a brillant piece of work. Have you seen it or the movie? Although I didn't warm to the movie as much (not as much a Richard Burton fan)
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

February 1, 2007
7:39 PM

Post #3146380

Like I said, not interested in any play, movie or TV show with full nudity. There are many of them and they win awards because their fans love them and that's fine with me, love it...it's just not what I'm watching. A "GREAT" movie that throws in nudity is a movie I won't be able to see. Doesn't mean it wasn't great. Just means there are some who won't be watching it.

I do not cast judgement upon those who want to see things like that. I don't think Daniel Radcliffe is terrible. I am just disappointed people think they have to use things like that to get noticed.

But back to topic: I love Harry Potter!
PlantMomto3
Nevada, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2007
8:40 PM

Post #3146592

I don't think he did it to get noticed--everyone already knows who he is. :) I just think he wanted people to see he had a great range and, like others said, it's supposed to be a great play (although I've never seen it). So many child actors have a hard time finding work in adulthood, I wish him well.

Yes, back to topic--I love Harry Potter too and it's driving me crazy waiting for this book. But I'm an adult for heaven's sake and I'm not supposed to care about a children's book. ;)
kniphofia
Morpeth
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

February 1, 2007
8:46 PM

Post #3146613

Equus was first performed in 1973 - are we really still so shockable?! The naked body is the most natural thing in the world. I've seen many plays involving nudity. Big deal. I admire Dan Radcliffe for taking this role.

I'm thrilled to have a date now for book 7. Only 170 days to go!
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

February 1, 2007
10:31 PM

Post #3146912

I agree with you both...I don't think he thought "oh nudity" lets take this people won't think oh me as Harry Potter after this. It's a very complex and demanding roll.

Kniphofia I've emailed the DH and asked could we go *G* tickets are only 50 pounds. He said sure as long as the flight over was free!

Ok so back to HP who do we think is going to bite it?!? I think Harry and Lord V.
PlantMomto3
Nevada, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2007
3:11 AM

Post #3147715

I hope Harry lives if only because my kids will be reading these books/watching these movies when they are a little older and I don't want them to think "Gee, Harry's life was never really happy, was it?" Of course, one popular theory is that Harry himself is a Horcrux so he must die in order to kill Lord V.

Will Lord V die? Dumbledore always said "there are things worse than death." He'll either die or he'll be left in some sort of horrible half life with no way to come back.

Who else could die? Is it likely that Harry, Ron, Hermione and Ginny will all come out alive? That would seem too good to be true.

Has anyone ever visited www.mugglenet.com? You could spend hours reading all of the different theories there. (Yes, I'm guilty of spending some time there, too.)
kniphofia
Morpeth
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

February 2, 2007
10:34 AM

Post #3148089

I really hope JKR doesn't kill off Harry. I think Lord V will definitely die, and I suspect Snape might be the other one to die. Maybe he'll sacrifice himself to save Harry?

I can't wait!
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

February 2, 2007
11:08 PM

Post #3150430

Ok what's the Deluxe edition of the book...I ordered just the regular 18.89 version.
PlantMomto3
Nevada, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 4, 2007
1:19 AM

Post #3154590

"...includes a 32-page insert of art and illustrations, a custom-designed slipcase, and a full-cloth case book, blind-stamped on front and back cover, foil stamped on spine."

Sounds pretty cool to me.
pepsidrinker
La Salle, MI
(Zone 5b)

February 8, 2007
5:30 PM

Post #3169693

I think Draco Malfoy will be one of them that is killed off...

It is really going to be interesting to read how it all ends...

Connie
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

February 20, 2007
5:53 PM

Post #3208577

well very early review are in on DR performance in Equus and they say he was stunning! Kills me I can't see the play maybe it will come to Broadway and I can catch it in the US. So I guess the kid can really act...
PlantMomto3
Nevada, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 22, 2007
3:29 AM

Post #3213455

Good for him! Never hurts to have too many good actors. I always thought he was a good actor--never over-acted his part, very charismatic. Hopefully, we'll see him after the HP series.

Wouldn't that be cool if it came to the U.S...
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

February 22, 2007
3:38 PM

Post #3214475

I'd love it LOL course the problem would be in talking the DH into a trip to NY just to see the play...
snipe
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 4, 2007
10:29 PM

Post #3248159

Not to butt in but whatever happens Nevil Longbottom will be at the heart of it because he and Harry are tied together in the same prophecy. As you might remember Nevil's parents where killed because Lord V did not know whether it was Harry or Nevil who would be his down fall. And the third character involved is Prof. Snape who has a grudge against Lord V, as to what that grudge is I'm not sure yet but I think it involves one of Snapes parents.

Speculation on my part.
Don
ceceoh
Columbus, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2007
1:05 PM

Post #3332777

So what do you think of the new covers? Is that Kreather or Dobby behind Harry's shoulder in the English version? And where and what are Harry and Voldemort doing on the American cover?
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

October 14, 2007
9:23 PM

Post #4082587

OK! Hello, all of you. I have been away from DG for a while. One complete knee replacement and 2 surgeries to the left shoulder. I finished the last Harry Potter book.

So, all of you adults that enjoy "young adult's" or childrens' books, has anyone read any of Madeleine L'Engle's books on time travel?

'A Wrinkle in Time' was the most famous and she was given the Newbery Award for it, which there are 3 that follow in a series .(I even read it twice!) She passed away just last month.

I also enjoyed 'The Time Traveler's Wife' by Audrey Niffenegger.
ceceoh
Columbus, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 15, 2007
1:44 AM

Post #4083549

I enjoy a lot of the "young adult" books. They are more plot-driven then a lot of novels for adults, which tend to dwell to much on what the characters are thinking, ad nauseum. Sometimes you just want a book to cut to the chase!

I just finished The Thief Lord, which came highly recommended, but wasn't that great. What I did enjoy was Nancy Farmer's "The House of the Scorpion". She is considered a young adult author, but I thought her book would be enjoyed by anyone. Since it is also written about an alternative future world where people are cloned, it might be enjoyed by people in the Fantasy-Sci Fi thread.

I also enjoy a lot of the novels that were written in the 19th century, like "The Secret Garden", "Bambi", or "The Jungle Book". All of these were thought to be for children, but all ages can enjoy them.

Oh, and yes, I cried when Dobby died. :)
PlantMomto3
Nevada, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 17, 2007
5:45 PM

Post #4093533

Ceceoh--My DH and I were reading Deathly Hallows at the same time and I was slightly ahead of him. I started crying when Dobby died (who knew it would hit me so hard :)) and my husband saw me and said "Oh no, it's bad news isn't it? Don't tell me, don't tell me."

Now I just have to try to find another book I care about reading. :)
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

February 18, 2008
4:00 AM

Post #4553342

OK! I read "A Secret Garden", which was a favorite of a friend, and I quite enjoyed it. And then, consequently, I read "Little Lord Fauntleroy", another quite charming book! I recommend them both, and of course, all good gardeners, should read the first one1

Has anyone else have any good suggestions?

Evelyn
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

February 19, 2008
3:37 PM

Post #4559655

I enjoyed the Golden Compass books. Found them in one book at Wal-Mart for around 13.00. Not as well written as the Harry Potter books but entertaining.
PlantMomto3
Nevada, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 23, 2008
5:25 AM

Post #4576122

I just bought the first two books in the Golden Compass series and began reading the first today. My husband is reading Stardust. We also bought the Spiderwick Chronicles for our kids, but saw the movie this week and I'll probably be reading the books for myself.

I just finished The Princess Bride, which is also one of my favorite movies. For perhaps the first time ever, the movie surpassed the book by a huge margin. The book to me was actually pretty horrible. I read the abridged version by Goldman and he apparently feels it necessary to constantly interject his own thoughts in the middle of passages. I didn't think I was going to get through the book. I guess the original book was 1,000 pages so I can understand why it was abridged. I was just so disappointed. Morganstern (original author) also wrote a sequel to The Princess Bride and Goldman includes a portion of his "version" at the end of the book I have.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Books, Movies, and TV Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Edgar Rice Burroughs: At the Earth's Core dave 8 Jul 12, 2007 7:54 AM
Stephen King's Dark Tower gardenwife 40 Dec 20, 2010 9:34 PM
What's The Story With Johnny Appleseed? VGMKY 13 Jul 26, 2008 2:00 AM
Fictionwise FREE ebooks drop 4 May 28, 2007 3:39 AM
24 Hour the tv show anastatia 164 May 2, 2007 7:10 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America