Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

SOLVED: WHAT IS THIS?????

Tennille, GA(Zone 8b)

This is a shrub that grows in my garden. It is thorny and produces yellow flowers similar to those on a shrimp plant. It tolerates extreme heat and little water. I like the leaves..they add interest to the garden! zone 11

Thumbnail by Chamma
Tennille, GA(Zone 8b)

Doesn't anyone Have a clue? I take a photo of this plant with me everytime I visit a nursery hoping someone can help me ID it! I have a lead...One chap says he has seen it in Thailand in an "Herb" garden. But he wasn't able to give me a name..... :(

When you say the flowers look like the Shrimp plant (I'm assuming you mean Justica here) do you mean the whole inflorescence looks like the Shrimp plant or just the individual flowers?

Tennille, GA(Zone 8b)

the whole inflorescence! I am going to post a picture!

I look forward to it Chamma. From the leaves alone I would have considered Euphorbia but it sounds as if the flowers are different.

Tennille, GA(Zone 8b)

This is a picture of the flower.

Thumbnail by Chamma
Tennille, GA(Zone 8b)

This is another view

Thumbnail by Chamma
Tennille, GA(Zone 8b)

And one more!!!! I hope these can help to identify the plant.

Thumbnail by Chamma
Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

Chamma, from the second flower shot I'd name this one lobster plant instead of shrimp. Looks just like a lobster with his big claws stuck out there. But, I'm sorry, I don't have a clue as to identifying the plant.

Tennille, GA(Zone 8b)

lol it does look like a lobster doesn't it!

Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

Spittin' image. Right down to the scales. Color's a little off, though.

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

I looked it up in the Colour Dictionary of Garden Plants, published in collaboration with The Royal Horticultural Society and still didn't find it. The leaves DO look like euuphorbia; perhaps it is a more recent cultivar. I wonder how hardy it is?

Tennille, GA(Zone 8b)

It is very hardy...It survives in temps that reach 128F plus and very high humidity.... It does well with very little water too. It re-seeds itself. It is a perennial here.

Tennille, GA(Zone 8b)

Can anyone help me PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASE????

Manhattan Beach, CA(Zone 11)

Only 28,000+ members. Maybe when we have a million, someone will know.
That goes for this one also: http://davesgarden.com/t/370551/

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Is it okay if I download a couple of these pics to send to our co-op?? Maybe they can tell us something...

Tennille, GA(Zone 8b)

Sure be my guest! It is a wonderful plant just wish I had a name! I have seeds for it btw if anyone is interested!

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

There is at least one species of "Shrimp Plant (Justicia, Jacobinia, Pachystachys, Beloperone - take your pick) that is narrow-leaved like your photo: Justicia americana (American Water Willow). Check out this photo: http://2bnthewild.com/plants/H194.htm and while this isn't your plant, hopefully it'll help you narrow down the possibilities :)

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Okay, I sent pictures and a note to the county co-op. It may be a few days til I hear from them

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Wow! Talk about a fast response! ~ Your plant is a Barleria. One reference calls it Barleria lupina and Hortus gives the species as lupulina. Commonly called Hophead Philippine Violet. It is thought to be native to Mauritius. Australia considers it an exotic invasive plant.
Opal W. Schallmo
Here are to google search results
http://www.math.smith.edu/~phyllo/OldFiles/Pictures/barleria.html
http://w3y.pharm.hiroshima-u.ac.jp/photo/Thai/020307Barleria.jpg
Looks to me like Opal is correct, what do you think??

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Way to go detective Floridian! Did you email or post your request for info?
Chamma, now you have an answer!

Manhattan Beach, CA(Zone 11)

This message was edited Thursday, Jan 16th 7:42 PM

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

LOL Weeds! I emailed the horticulturists at the co-op. They are always such good sports. The co-op is also the home of the Florida Botanical Gardens...one of my favorite places!!
Max, I have that plant! It is dormant right now though...come on Spring!

Tennille, GA(Zone 8b)

Thank YOU FLORIDIAN and Everybody else who were looking for the answer!!!!!! I really appreciate it!!!!!! :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.