Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Unknown Campanula

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 10, Views: 187
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Evert
Helsinki
Finland
(Zone 4b)

January 4, 2003
1:45 PM

Post #441263

I think we have gotten this funny looking little Campanula from our friend some years ago.. It grows slowly, and the flowers and leaves are always somehow "dry" looking.. in a weird way. The leaves are a littel fatter than most Campanulas, and pretty dark green. The plant is about 30 cm tall (?). It grows on a sandy place under lilacs in our frontyard.

Any ideas?

This message was edited Saturday, Jan 4th 9:46 AM

Thumbnail by Evert
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Evert
Helsinki
Finland
(Zone 4b)

January 4, 2003
1:46 PM

Post #441264

A bad pic of the whole plant

Thumbnail by Evert

psilo
Bolton, Greater Manc
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

January 6, 2003
3:51 PM

Post #442964

Looks like an Adenophora Evert - a member of the campanula family but I couldnt tell you which sort.
poppysue
Westbrook, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 6, 2003
5:35 PM

Post #443081

It looks like one I grew from seed a couple of years ago. A ground hog kept muching it to the ground so I barely got to see it bloom. Try Campanula glomerata var. acaulis ... here are a couple of links

http://www.florijardin.fr/p53.html
http://www.esveld.nl/htmldia/c/cagaca.htm
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

January 6, 2003
7:13 PM

Post #443182

Evert: It looks a good deal like my C. glomerata. Here it is in our own PDB: http://plantsdatabase.com/go/989/
Evert
Helsinki
Finland
(Zone 4b)

January 6, 2003
7:42 PM

Post #443213

Yeah, I am pretty sure now it's C. glomerata. Perhaps it would look better in better soil... ;)

Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

January 6, 2003
7:53 PM

Post #443217

I grow mine in good soil, and it is doing quite well. It's really a good performer. As with most campanula, the blue is spectacular. When in full bloom, the cluster of blooms looks like one giant flower.

Another that does well for me is C. latifolia. I understand it can be invasive, but I've not had that problem in my climate. I have lots of seed, if you are interested.

Thumbnail by Weezingreens

Evert
Helsinki
Finland
(Zone 4b)

January 6, 2003
8:10 PM

Post #443224

You really seem to have lots of Campanulas. You've already sen me seeds of latifolia and glomerata, and I hope I get them growing in the Spring.

:)

Wish our garden had more sunny areas...
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

January 6, 2003
9:15 PM

Post #443284

These seem to do fine in sun to partial shade. They get sun in the morning and filtered light in the afternoon. If your growing conditions include partial shade, then we have that in common, as well. I have a very large yard, but trees surrounding it, so very little can receive sun all day.
ButterflyGardnr
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 16, 2003
2:33 PM

Post #450354

Weez, your picture (and the flower) is gorgeous. YOu alaskans can grow some gorgeous plants up there! I was astounded when I saw how big the cabbages were in a garden in Fairbanks. THey're like 10 times the size we grow in the rest of the US!
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

January 16, 2003
8:15 PM

Post #450608

Thanks, BG! Yes, some flowers love our cool, moist summers. Campanula, Primula, and many others. It's funny how we all want to grow what we cannot. Whenever I see some new exciting plant in the T&M catalog, you can bet it won't grow here, but it would probably grow where you are!

We don't have quite the growing season that Fairbanks or the Mat-Valley have, but most of the cool weather crops, like the cabbage, cauliflower, kale, broccoli, etc. do well. We can grow one head of lettuce all summer, just harvesting the outer leaves, and it will grow all summer without bolting!

Thumbnail by Weezingreens

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America