Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Again, I just don't know what I am looking at!

Thumbnail by haighr
Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Looks like dates to me. However I must admit that I've never seen them before. Looks like dates and blooms on the same tree. Okay, it was a guess!! Great picture.

Tennille, GA(Zone 8b)

The fronds do not look like a date nor does the base...but the fruit looks like dates....However, I have never seen dates carried off the side of the tree like that! I don't think it is a date! I will ask my Filipina expert...maybe some exotic palm!

Lappeenranta, Finland(Zone 3a)

Foxtail palm =(Wodyetia bifurcata)?

Tennille, GA(Zone 8b)

Yes it does look like a foxtail!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Neat link - so it is foxtail???

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I'm not sure it is. Look at this link of Foxtail Palm. The foliage looks different when you enlarge the picture.
http://www.ppp.com.au/foxtail.html

Tennille, GA(Zone 8b)

I found it! It is called a Manila Palm (because it is Native to the Philippines) or Veitchia merrillii. It has feather leaves and a slender smooth trunk. Another name for it is a Christmas palm.
About where the crownshaft attaches to the trunk, inflourescences grow which support small grayish-green flowers. Later, these turn into green fruits and by Christmas these turn either bright red or golden color.
My Filipina friend says they do not eat the fruits produced from this tree! She did not know if it was because it was toxic or not, however.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Thanks - makes sense this was taken on Christmas day.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.