Burwell, NE(Zone 4b)

I have friends in the miltary who have recently moved to Texas. In their backyard is a plant they asked me if I could ID. Since I imagine it is one that will not grow where I live, I do not recognize it. Was hoping that some of you nice southern folks might help me to help them. Thanks so much.

Thumbnail by nesandy
Old Town (Gainesvill, FL(Zone 8a)

It appears to be a small loquat tree to me....

Katrina

Burwell, NE(Zone 4b)

Dear Katrina, Thanks for the help. Persoanlly I have NEVER heard of a loquat before your post. That is why I asked for help. Will go look it up in one of my garden books though. Thanks. Sandy

Tennille, GA(Zone 8b)

Yes I thought it looked like loquat too. It grows into a tree...this one looks like a bush LOL

We have several around us that are multi trunk thats the only thing that reminded me of that!

Katrina

Manhattan Beach, CA(Zone 11)

They usually are not that bushy when small.
http://plantsdatabase.com/go/2321/

We have some that full that are triple trunks in 15 gal containers... If they get pruned to stay as a shrub its possible or if someone might have mowed it over young which inspired multiple shoots

Katrina

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

Sure looks like a loquat to me too. The fruits are edible, but I don't know how exactly you eat them.

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

Yep, it's a Loquat.

"eyes"

Tennille, GA(Zone 8b)

Loquats are delicious...you eat them when they turn a golden color...they are sweet and sour at the same time to me! I have a tree in my garden in Lebanon. The fruits get ready in September there.

Burwell, NE(Zone 4b)

Thanks to all of your for your help and links. My friends were very thankful too and looking forward to some edible fruit. You all are super!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images