Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

Dutchman's Pipe!

Western, PA(Zone 6a)

Well finally after several years of trying, I found the Dutchman's Pipe, Aristolochia durior (macrophylla). I was always too late in ordering or the seed received in trade wasn't it. I have situations where a fast 'heavy' cover is needed. Yipee! I just hope it doesn't take over the house. :) http://www.crownsvillenursery.com/vines.htm

denton, TX(Zone 7b)

any seeds or cuttings from the dutchmans pie that you could spare

Franklin, WI(Zone 5a)

Congrats on finding your DP durior!.......but if you're looking for a fast cover you'll be waiting for quite awhile. I bought mine in 3 gallon containers and four years later they're barely taller than me (5 ft). I think I've read it can take around five years for it to establish itself. Don't want to burst your bubble, but just want to make you aware it doesn't take off right away and cover everything in sight like some of the photos you might see!

Happy Growing (and does anyone beg to differ?..maybe mine just aren't cooperating!)

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i have 3 in the house right now-been growing for one season and growth is very slow-hoping it takes over at least the window. =]

Western, PA(Zone 6a)

I grew the Japanese Hydrangea (S. 'Moonlight) for 3 years, with hardly any new growth. They say it takes 3 years for it to root in. Well traded them off. I think most of my problem is limited sun (3 to 4 hours) and tree roots. But I will not give up attempting to fill this particular trellis with a vine. I figure the more aggressive the vine the better for success. I get many compliments on the trellis, and questions like, "What are you trying to grow". So I will just keep pluging along.

Franklin, WI(Zone 5a)

....if you need something that doesn't get much sun, give Monkshood vine a try. Below is a pic of my pergola...of which the DP vine is growing on the right. I also have a couple Monkshood vines that are now up and over the top after a couple years (hard to see in the pic though). It has a really nice leaf shape....will shade my hosta bed but yet allow dappled sunlight through!

Just thought I'd share!

Thumbnail by Seedsower
Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

thats just beautiful. ive never even heard of monkshood vine-can you grow from cuttings?
what a beautiful tranquil area-nice job.
the dutchmans pipe is huge compared to my guys

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

seessower..oh my gosh, I cannot spell for trying tonight! anyhow...this Monkshood Vine ...does it go by another name??? so very interesting! would love to have one! Elaine

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

Seedsower..what a lovely place..gorgeous! I love the gate and arch..structure really shows plants off..I need more structure..LOL

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

Seedsower, wow, I never heard of the Monkshood VINE!!! I am a huge fan of the monkshood, can you do any cuttings on yours??? Would you be willing to swap some of it if you can??? Hey, sorry I had to ask! LOL

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8b)

Roselaine: I know this is an old thread but I have the climbing monkshood (3 m) Aconitum episcopale. Hardy to Zone 7 bloomed beautifully last summer into Oct. From Perrenial Gardens. As you are a close neighbour--let's look into propagation. I think I may have read of others,too!--Yes as a matter of fact I have seeds of A.hemsleyanum from the Alpine Club (climbs 3-5 metres) so if I can germinate we're on our way. Also seed of A. napelus v. napellus but he doesn't climb so can't be on this forum. Dawn

Faversham, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I know this is a very old thread but I need to correct a common mistake. The 'Monkshood Vine' (Latin name: Ampelopsis aconitifolia - synonym Vitis aconitifolia) is not an Aconitum. The 'Monkshood' part refers to the latin Aconitifolia (Aconite leafed)

(Zone 5a)

Seedsower, I've always liked the Dutchmans Pipe, but didn't think it would survive zone 5. Now I'll have to do a little research and see if I can create a spot for one in the future. Don't they draw a butterfly we don't usually have around here?

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

The pipevine swallowtail.

(Zone 5a)

Yes, that one.

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Golddog - How is your Dutchman's Pipe doing now?

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.