-
AuthorContent
golddog
Western, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2003
6:17 PM

Post #461221

Well finally after several years of trying, I found the Dutchman's Pipe, Aristolochia durior (macrophylla). I was always too late in ordering or the seed received in trade wasn't it. I have situations where a fast 'heavy' cover is needed. Yipee! I just hope it doesn't take over the house. :) http://www.crownsvillenursery.com/vines.htm
fairygarden
denton, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 5, 2003
3:59 PM

Post #463090

any seeds or cuttings from the dutchmans pie that you could spare
Seedsower
Franklin, WI
(Zone 5a)

February 5, 2003
6:14 PM

Post #463147

Congrats on finding your DP durior!...but if you're looking for a fast cover you'll be waiting for quite awhile. I bought mine in 3 gallon containers and four years later they're barely taller than me (5 ft). I think I've read it can take around five years for it to establish itself. Don't want to burst your bubble, but just want to make you aware it doesn't take off right away and cover everything in sight like some of the photos you might see!

Happy Growing (and does anyone beg to differ?..maybe mine just aren't cooperating!)

Thanks!
Sandy
notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

February 6, 2003
6:01 PM

Post #463787

i have 3 in the house right now-been growing for one season and growth is very slow-hoping it takes over at least the window. =]
golddog
Western, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 6, 2003
7:10 PM

Post #463827

I grew the Japanese Hydrangea (S. 'Moonlight) for 3 years, with hardly any new growth. They say it takes 3 years for it to root in. Well traded them off. I think most of my problem is limited sun (3 to 4 hours) and tree roots. But I will not give up attempting to fill this particular trellis with a vine. I figure the more aggressive the vine the better for success. I get many compliments on the trellis, and questions like, "What are you trying to grow". So I will just keep pluging along.
Seedsower
Franklin, WI
(Zone 5a)

February 6, 2003
10:08 PM

Post #463902

...if you need something that doesn't get much sun, give Monkshood vine a try. Below is a pic of my pergola...of which the DP vine is growing on the right. I also have a couple Monkshood vines that are now up and over the top after a couple years (hard to see in the pic though). It has a really nice leaf shape...will shade my hosta bed but yet allow dappled sunlight through!

Just thought I'd share!

Sandy

Thumbnail by Seedsower
Click the image for an enlarged view.

notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

February 6, 2003
10:50 PM

Post #463922

thats just beautiful. ive never even heard of monkshood vine-can you grow from cuttings?
what a beautiful tranquil area-nice job.
the dutchmans pipe is huge compared to my guys
Roselaine
North Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8a)

February 7, 2003
2:00 AM

Post #464053

seessower..oh my gosh, I cannot spell for trying tonight! anyhow...this Monkshood Vine ...does it go by another name??? so very interesting! would love to have one! Elaine

Starzz

Starzz
Newcastle, ON
(Zone 5a)

February 15, 2003
11:45 AM

Post #470079

Seedsower..what a lovely place..gorgeous! I love the gate and arch..structure really shows plants off..I need more structure..LOL
OhioBreezy
Dundee, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 26, 2003
4:09 AM

Post #477673

Seedsower, wow, I never heard of the Monkshood VINE!!! I am a huge fan of the monkshood, can you do any cuttings on yours??? Would you be willing to swap some of it if you can??? Hey, sorry I had to ask! LOL
Sunrize
North Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

March 3, 2003
10:53 PM

Post #482128

Roselaine: I know this is an old thread but I have the climbing monkshood (3 m) Aconitum episcopale. Hardy to Zone 7 bloomed beautifully last summer into Oct. From Perrenial Gardens. As you are a close neighbour--let's look into propagation. I think I may have read of others,too!--Yes as a matter of fact I have seeds of A.hemsleyanum from the Alpine Club (climbs 3-5 metres) so if I can germinate we're on our way. Also seed of A. napelus v. napellus but he doesn't climb so can't be on this forum. Dawn
Veshengo
Faversham
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

September 10, 2006
5:53 AM

Post #2708245

Hi

I know this is a very old thread but I need to correct a common mistake. The 'Monkshood Vine' (Latin name: Ampelopsis aconitifolia - synonym Vitis aconitifolia) is not an Aconitum. The 'Monkshood' part refers to the latin Aconitifolia (Aconite leafed)

Steve

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 10, 2006
12:51 PM

Post #2708631

Seedsower, I've always liked the Dutchmans Pipe, but didn't think it would survive zone 5. Now I'll have to do a little research and see if I can create a spot for one in the future. Don't they draw a butterfly we don't usually have around here?
azreno
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

September 10, 2006
10:11 PM

Post #2710147

The pipevine swallowtail.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 11, 2006
5:06 PM

Post #2712467

Yes, that one.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

January 10, 2008
6:14 AM

Post #4382765

Golddog - How is your Dutchman's Pipe doing now?

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vines and Climbers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
air potato - Discorea bulbifera euphorbrom 7 Jun 13, 2012 7:59 PM
Mexican Flame Vine Aimee 11 Jun 25, 2013 8:28 PM
Speaking of Wisteria... hpluver 27 Jul 10, 2009 11:58 AM
confederate jasmine dixiechick 9 Jun 1, 2008 5:30 PM
Purple Wisteria tree Chainsaw 35 Oct 11, 2008 3:20 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America