Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Tropical Plants: Malanga(Yautia)

Communities > Forums > Tropical Plants
bookmark
Forum: Tropical PlantsReplies: 22, Views: 835
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

rootdoctor

rootdoctor
Harrisville, MI
(Zone 5b)

February 4, 2003
11:08 PM

Post #462664

I was down at the local store today and picked up my case of Malanga,The kind lady convinced me to try to grow this Yucca root.Heck I'd try to grow a rock if it I thought it would make my garden look better,I have not got a clue how I should go about this one,so any ideas would be appreciated.
Datdog send me your snail addy and I will get your Malanga off to you.Root.

Also will share some with others that want to try Malanga.

This message was edited Tuesday, Feb 4th 7:37 PM

Thumbnail by rootdoctor
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Brugie
Chariton, IA
(Zone 5b)

February 5, 2003
2:26 AM

Post #462790

I know Yucca like lots of sand mixed into the soil and not a lot of water. I never fertilized mine and it still bloomed. Heck, most of the time I forgot it was even around here and it lived. Maybe that is the best thing to do with them. Plant and forget.
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

February 5, 2003
2:53 AM

Post #462812

what u got rootdr are two different plants that grew in the tropics. here are some info...

Malanga ญญ Xanthosoma spp. [similar to Taro] ... http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/MV090

cassava or yucca root -- Manihot esculenta ... http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/Crops/CropFactSheets/cassava.html

Brugie ... if not mistaken, the taro plant i sent before is very similar to the malanga and not a regular taro.

rootdoctor

rootdoctor
Harrisville, MI
(Zone 5b)

February 5, 2003
3:02 AM

Post #462818

Yes MVR,I know I have 2 kinds,I think of Yucca as an Agave,maybe I'm wrong,I have looked and the Malanga,and it looks like an EE,if you look in PDB under Yautia,you will see the plant I think is another common name for Malanga,

I look at the site for the yucca and they talk about making an alcohic beverage,that would be tequila,

here in KC,malanga is eatin like potatoes.
Brugie
Chariton, IA
(Zone 5b)

February 5, 2003
7:22 PM

Post #463169

Hi MaVie,

Have missed your posts. Hope you are all moved in and settled now. When will your gardening start or has that already become a priority in sunny California?

rootdoctor

rootdoctor
Harrisville, MI
(Zone 5b)

February 6, 2003
2:40 AM

Post #463437

http://davesgarden.com/fp.php?pid=459300 I think I learned to make links,LOL

crestedchik

crestedchik
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 6, 2003
3:22 AM

Post #463469

Root! You're an expert now!

rootdoctor

rootdoctor
Harrisville, MI
(Zone 5b)

February 6, 2003
3:27 AM

Post #463471

Not bad for a guy that had not touched a Puter before my sign up here,LOL
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

February 6, 2003
5:39 AM

Post #463527

rootdoctor, we never call cassava yucca cause there is another plant also called yucca which is a desert plant. two different specie. not one and the same.

hi Shirley, i've been having 'puter problems: old pc is crashed and the new one has bad sectors. no, it is too cold to do any planting. as i write the temp. outside is 26*F and still falling. we have snow prediction for tomorrow till the weekend. been busy clearing up the mess and sowing seeds, but no outside planting. true sunny but colder than the dickens. brrrrrrrrrr.

rootdoctor

rootdoctor
Harrisville, MI
(Zone 5b)

February 6, 2003
11:31 AM

Post #463559

OK MaVieRose,can you tell me what I should do with this Yucca?it seems to have a coat of wax on it,I guess for shipping.I want to try to grow it not eat it,So do you think I should try to soak it in warm water to get the wax loose?Should I call it Cassava or Tapioca?Can you tell me where I can look at a picture of what this will look like as a plant?

As to the Malanga,I am growing one already ,it is acting like and EE so I think I will be ok with it,I am going to send Twinlakeschef an extra one so she can cook it,

Thumbnail by rootdoctor
Click the image for an enlarged view.

MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

February 6, 2003
5:18 PM

Post #463755

rtdr... i have no personal experience in planting cassava, but i have seen them growing and harvested in my grandma's property. i know how to cook them in numerous recipes.

here is a very informative site that may help... http://www.congocookbook.com/c0071.html

rootdoctor

rootdoctor
Harrisville, MI
(Zone 5b)

February 6, 2003
5:53 PM

Post #463781

MaVae you are a wealth of knowledge,what a help,Thank you for this site.
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

February 6, 2003
7:47 PM

Post #463842

my pleasure rtdr :)!!!!

rootdoctor

rootdoctor
Harrisville, MI
(Zone 5b)

February 6, 2003
7:51 PM

Post #463846

So from reading the one on the cassava,I can cut it up and plant it to get a few out of the one big root?that was how it looked to me.
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

February 6, 2003
10:55 PM

Post #463928

since it is a tuber or rootcrop, my common sense suggest it would be similar to planting potatoes. if memory serves me right, yes they do cut them up and plant them. but from reading the link above it suggest long growing season like 3 yrs if not mistaken???? sorry i really have not personally experience growing them myself, but i buy them all the time since i love to eat them.

rootdoctor

rootdoctor
Harrisville, MI
(Zone 5b)

February 6, 2003
11:30 PM

Post #463958

Mavae would you like me to send you one of the Malangas to grow?I think it might do very well in Ca.
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

February 6, 2003
11:47 PM

Post #463972

thank you for the kind offer. i live on higher elevation and we do have snow during the winter time. tonight we are expecting snow. i do have Malanga i buy from Latino or Asian stores and experiment in planting them. i got some that are dormant right now. thank you very kindly :).

rootdoctor

rootdoctor
Harrisville, MI
(Zone 5b)

February 7, 2003
12:06 AM

Post #463985

Ok Mavae it sure is good to talk to you again,maybe I'll get somemore recipes from you when it's time to prune my Bananas.I hope you get to take some picture of your yard when you get set up.
root
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

February 7, 2003
12:35 AM

Post #464006

i've been having 'puter problems which is why i seldom am online lately. this coming weekend, i will be taking both computer to a local repair shop to have it worked on. i tried working on it, but i think something wrong with the ports, so i need to have a pro work on it. hope that will solve my puter problem.

sure ask away for recipes. i have tons stored in my head. i will be more than glad to share.

soon as weather permits, i will be posting photos on progress on this place i just moved in. click on this link to see photo of the new place i just moved to... http://davesgarden.com/t/367990/

rootdoctor

rootdoctor
Harrisville, MI
(Zone 5b)

February 7, 2003
12:44 AM

Post #464011

Looks like you are going to need lots of compost to amend your soil,what a great looking place!what are your plans for the big red barn?horses?
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

February 7, 2003
3:26 AM

Post #464093

the red barn is not included in the package. it is a store room for antique cars the owner owns. hopefully in due time, once the cars are moved out, maybe i could convert the red barn as storage or maybe make a greenhouse out of it for next winter for the tropical plants i grow.

i've already ordered a truck loads of compose and composted steer manure... in fact it has been delivered... just need for the temperature to cooperate. our last frost is supposed to be the end of March.

right now, am at a point of considering to move out again, since the landlord expressed that i should not plant the brugs on the ground [when he collected rent last month.] what a bummer! landlord is wishy-washy, he does not seem to know his right hand from his left hand. when he came last week, he saw how nicely his plants are growing. at this point, am wary if i should do some planting, in case he would mention another negative statement. am sort of playing it by ear at the moment. push come to shove, if i can not do any planting i will move again!

rootdoctor

rootdoctor
Harrisville, MI
(Zone 5b)

February 7, 2003
3:43 AM

Post #464108

MVR,stand your ground if you have a contract.If you feel you don't want to deal with wishy/wash start looking,it is a very nice place from what I see.
patti47
Lynnwood, WA
(Zone 7a)

September 18, 2010
8:01 AM

Post #8105806

I asked my cassava-yucca question in Pacific Northwest forum and it was suggested I come here to recipes. This is an old thread but in reading it I have become very unsure of what plant I have. We call them "candles of the lord" but it isn't "our lord's candles" as in plant files. Among the other yuccas there many were similar so what the heck do I have? Well, Im not asking for plant ID here but what do you do with the root called cassava? Any of you yucca experts still out there?

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tropical Plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Justicia spicigera Peter63 2 Oct 24, 2008 9:31 PM
caladium "Gingerland" Eclipse 43 Aug 21, 2012 7:10 PM
Castor Bean contest? rootdoctor 411 Jul 16, 2008 6:48 PM
Musa AE AE fivelabs 228 Jun 12, 2013 12:39 PM
Tree Fern Info and advise requested jester 36 Jun 3, 2011 3:52 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America