Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Books, Movies, and TV: Stephen King's Dark Tower

Communities > Forums > Books, Movies, and TV
bookmark
Forum: Books, Movies, and TVReplies: 40, Views: 327
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 8, 2003
1:15 AM

Post #464688

Book I: The Gunslinger (1982)
Book II: The Drawing of the Three (1987)
Book III: The Waste Lands (1991)
Book IV: Wizard And Glass (1997)
Book V: Wolves of the Calla (due out in 2003?)
Book VI: Song of Susannah (yet unpublished)
Book VII: The Dark Tower (yet unpublished)

Okay...Who's read 'em? I'm about 1/3 done with book IV and completely engrossed. Have you read them? Don't give anything away in Book IV just yet -- I'm enjoying it too much to have it spoiled. ;) They've just seen Charlie the Choo-Choo in the park at the railroad station and have gone turnpikin'. They're camped not too far from the Glass Palace right now. Thinnies abound and when's and where's overlap strangely. Very interesting stuff!

I can't WAIT until the next one is published. Almost all my books are paperback, but I may break my usual pinchpenny attitude about hardback books and splurge for a this one. I don't know if I can stand to wait on the library's waiting list when it comes out, otherwise!

It took me about 3/4 of the way through the first book to get interested because it was so different from his other books. Had I not had book IV on hand so I could sail right on with the story, I would have gone nuts at the ending of Book III. And to think it was SIX years before the next book came out after that!

Hey, Dori -- Did you know about the possible musical by Mellencamp and King?? http://www.mellencamp.com/projects/index.html I just read about it.

Official Stephen King website is http://www.stephenking.com/

This message was edited Friday, Feb 7th 9:17 PM
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 4, 2003
9:44 PM

Post #700865

I can't wait...Hoping my friend gets Book 5 for my Christmas gift. Ooooooh. The Flash site for The Dark Tower series is great: http://www.stephenking.com/DarkTower/
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 12, 2003
3:22 AM

Post #707129

Couldn't wait. But I didn't buy it. http://mt.gardenwife.com/archives/000421.html

If the link won't come up, give it a day or so. For whatever reason, some ISP's don't show my site right away when I've recently updated it. *grumble*
tcfromky
Mercer, PA
(Zone 5a)

November 28, 2003
12:19 PM

Post #719272

gw, I posted a question for ya up on yer site. I was wonderin if you had heard that King based his "Dark Tower" series on a poem by Robert Browining called "Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came".

We read and critiqued that poem in British Lit class this past Wednesday. Have you read the poem?

TC...
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 28, 2003
4:33 PM

Post #719434

Yes, I read that in his foreward and in his book, On Writing. I've not read it, but I need to find a copy online and read it. I'd love to get your perspective on it, epsecially since you all just discussed it.
tcfromky
Mercer, PA
(Zone 5a)

November 28, 2003
6:03 PM

Post #719485

gw, there were only 7 of us there for the discussion. And out of those, only about 3 or 4 made any comment on the poem. The professor, who by the way is a wonderful women that really does a great job leading the class and allowing individual interpretations, read the poem to us all the way through.

She then asked us for our initial take on the poem and mine was that I thought it was about a person going through life searching for meaning, facing it ("it" = the Dark Tower?) with defiance and courage.
Who prevails in the end is pretty much left up to the reader of the poem to decide.

Professor DiMarco said that there is no single tried and true interpretation. For all individuals base their interpretation on how they view society and how they were raised in that society. Religiousity sometimes influences one to make the age old choice of good over evil. However, in basing a interpretation on that alone we omit other relevant aspects.

It would help if the average reader of prose, such as you and I, could have the opportunity to talk to the author of whatever piece we may be reading to get their thoughts on the hows and whys of their writings. Thus providing us with terrific insight in helping us understand and enjoy their works all the more!

What would you or I, or anyone for that matter, ask Stephen King (or other author we like) if we actually had the opportunity to sit down and talk with him/her one-on-one in a personal setting?

TC...
kniphofia
Morpeth
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

January 26, 2010
5:44 PM

Post #7498988

I came across this thread in the archives.

A few years ago when I lived in Maine (where Stephen King lives of course) a colleague at work encouraged me to read The Gunslinger. Having never read any of King's books I was sceptical to say the least. Me and another colleague read the series together and in a stroke of good fortune I finished book 6 two weeks before the final part in the series was published. Goodness knows how his fans waited so many years between the books! (It was like waiting for Return of the Jedi after the Empire Strikes Back came out!).

I really enjoyed the whole series, a remarkable achievement, and I'd highly recommend them to any reader.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

January 26, 2010
7:01 PM

Post #7499269

Being a King fan since Salem's Lot, I had to have every book when it came out, in hardback. I picked up The Gunslinger when it was 1st published and from, "The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.", I was enthralled.

It was difficult to wait for the next book to be published but we did have his other stories to hold us until then. A friend and I at work were both reading them and we had long, long discussions on the story. I love them!

What would I ask Mr. King, if given the opportunity? Well, I did meet him once on the set of The Stand and all I could think of was, "Uuuuummm...Hello, I love your stuff." He laughed and went about the business of watching them make the movie. I walked away red-faced.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 26, 2010
7:04 PM

Post #7499285

TC, 6+ years later I see you posted here. I completely missed it before! Truthfully, I have no idea what I'd ask the authors. I enjoy interviews with them when I see or hear them.

Hey, Kniphofia, I've heard others say that they didn't think they liked Stephen King, but the Dark Tower series had them hooked. I had a little trouble getting into The Gunslinger when I first started it, but after I did there was no stopping me.
tcfromky
Mercer, PA
(Zone 5a)

January 26, 2010
11:42 PM

Post #7500161

Wow. I forgot what I said. :~P
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

February 1, 2010
12:30 PM

Post #7518022

But, tc, the important thing is that you said it lol ^_^
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 2, 2010
1:45 PM

Post #7521803

Question is, do you still understand what you wrote? If you do, you're good. ;)
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

March 9, 2010
3:07 PM

Post #7616691

I've only gotten through the second book... and everytime I check at the library, the next book has been and gone. It's been several months now, so I'll probably need to read the second book again before I start The Wastelands.

I used to read his other horror genre stuff, but got creeped out, which was a shame because I love King's wordsmithing. I was delighted to begin The Dark Tower series.

Yes, the opening line of the first book hooked me too... I've lived most my life in the desert and the language evokes the sere quality of the burnt earth quite nicely.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

March 9, 2010
9:55 PM

Post #7617749

Does your library ever hold books? I know some of the smaller ones will but not all. The series is most enjoyable. I hate to see anyone miss out. LOL
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

March 10, 2010
6:05 AM

Post #7618259

Oh, they say they do, but they don't really. It's a pretty relaxed bunch down there... I've had to shush the librarians.

I won't miss out, it'll happen eventually... maybe I'll run across it in a used bookstore one of these days.

Same thing has happened with reading the Left Behind series... I'm stalled waiting to find the next book. But that series is not good enough to really worry about.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 10, 2010
12:35 PM

Post #7619174

You might check on interlibrary loan. I know in Ohio, I can get books from any library in the state's system.
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

March 10, 2010
2:17 PM

Post #7619353

Hahahahahaha!!! Oh yeah, you think they can do that? I've tried with other books and just given up. And the state bookmobile stopped coming out my way a couple of years back. I live in a backwater, so it's sort of hit or miss. Our small town version of excitement...

And King's stuff is popular enough, it'll turn up used. I go down to the big city a couple of times a month, I just haven't been going to the used book stores (practicing a little self discipline). But this thread has gotten me interested again, so maybe next time I'll check.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 10, 2010
2:27 PM

Post #7619375

That's too bad. We have a good library system here. I've also recently begun downloading ebooks on loan. They don't have all the latest and greatest titles, but I love having access and being able to read them on my phone.
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

March 10, 2010
2:35 PM

Post #7619394

I think that by and large our state system may be pretty good... it's just the little local library that's a mess. All new books are on a rental basis, the librarians spend half their day on the phone with friends (gossip central), I'm not kidding when I say I've had to shush them (it's the noisiest library I've ever been in), forget using interlibrary loan and I haven't even bothered to ask about wait-lists...

No, I must soldier on on my own! (trumpets blare) Ardent and steadfast in my love of reading, I slog forward over vast distances on a quest for King!

LOL

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

March 10, 2010
3:45 PM

Post #7619562

You go for it, Jay! LOL
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

March 10, 2010
5:00 PM

Post #7619746

Friday I venture forth to the great metropolis... shall my love be requited? Shall my thirst be slaked, my hunger sated (hey... it's dinner time.. gotta go munch, munch munch)

=0)

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

March 10, 2010
5:03 PM

Post #7619755

Hmmm...this one's quirky. I think we should keep Jay around. ^_^
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

March 10, 2010
5:32 PM

Post #7619827

I come, I go, I flit, I fly...
I dither, I dabble, I blather.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

March 11, 2010
9:53 AM

Post #7621278

ROTF
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

March 11, 2010
10:13 AM

Post #7621328

ooo, my dog likes you! She wishes I would roll around on the floor more. LOL

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

March 11, 2010
10:27 AM

Post #7621354

Too funny!

Any luck with the series yet?
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 11, 2010
10:34 AM

Post #7621370

What you said reminds me of the Time Warner/Roadrunner internet ad we see locally on TV. A woman's surfing the web on a computer, and her husband's standing in the doorway behind her, whispering. He's talking about her being his Queen and deserving the fastest connection for her kingdom or something to that effect...Very elaborate speech. It's really cute.
deannaj1183
Canton, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 11, 2010
10:37 AM

Post #7621381

I've read through the 5th book and got side tracked. However I've read through The Wastelands probably 10 times. LOVE the series. Think y'all have motivated me to pick the series up, reread the older books, and finally finish the series :)

My mom got me hooked on Stephen King at a very young age, not on purpose of course. I was a bookworm and always reading anything put in front of me... food labels, shampoo bottles, etc... and she owned, and still does, every SK book. I picked up Firestarter when I was probably 10 or 11 and have been a huge fan ever since :)
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

March 11, 2010
10:42 AM

Post #7621397

I'm working on getting a digital download from a friend... wish me luck, I'm such a terminal newbie!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 11, 2010
10:53 AM

Post #7621417

That's how I am...I read anything and everything!

My hubby's sister-in-law took a fall and badly broke her fibula and several bones in her ankle. She's going stir crazy at home following her surgery; she doesn't like to read, isn't much of a TV watcher, so is going nuts. I can't imagine not liking to read. Books have been an escape for me since I was tiny!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

March 11, 2010
11:08 AM

Post #7621452

I'm the same way. I STILL read everything put in front of me! LOL Labels, cereal boxes, road signs...other peoples newspapers...
deannaj1183
Canton, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 11, 2010
11:14 AM

Post #7621467

I have no clue what I would keep myself occupied with if I were her, gardenwife. I would be so bored! Books are an escape for me too.

My DH, and my mom when I was younger, laughs at me all the time for reading the ketchup bottle, wine bottles, dog food bags, junk mail, and the list goes on and on. So I know how it is kwanjin! I just can't help it!
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

March 11, 2010
11:31 AM

Post #7621494

Me, too! And the weird stuff that lodges in my brain... I'm a real kick at a cocktail party, let me tell you! Not that I go to cocktail parties, but if I did...

There's a name for compulsive reading... I just can't remember it.
deannaj1183
Canton, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 11, 2010
12:04 PM

Post #7621551

Maybe I'll read it on something I pick up... :-P
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

March 11, 2010
12:59 PM

Post #7621661

LOL... I read it on the 'net! and thought, oh there you go, I'm finally a member of a group!

This message was edited Mar 11, 2010 2:00 PM
tcfromky
Mercer, PA
(Zone 5a)

March 11, 2010
6:28 PM

Post #7622465

(And yes, I still understand what I wrote.)
mornin_gayle
Bloomingdale, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 8, 2010
4:09 AM

Post #8249658

Anyone finish the series?

I did.

Threw the last book across the room, I was soooooo mad!

When he wrote himself into the storyline I knew we were in trouble. I think he got scared of the series and copped out.

I lost all respect for him with that last book. I doubt I will read another of his.

mg

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

December 8, 2010
8:09 AM

Post #8249981

I didn't much care for the ending but I did like the journey.

Jeannie63

Jeannie63
Mequon, WI
(Zone 4b)

December 14, 2010
2:13 PM

Post #8260154

I felt the same way. It just got really, really weird. But, I have re-read the entire series several times.

Its getting about time to re-read The Stand - its been a few years!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 20, 2010
2:52 PM

Post #8269543

I loved the journey, too.

Duma Key and The Dome are both terrific reads.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

December 20, 2010
9:34 PM

Post #8270059

Duma Key was a pleasure to read.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Books, Movies, and TV Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Edgar Rice Burroughs: At the Earth's Core dave 8 Jul 12, 2007 7:54 AM
Harry Potter?? evelyn_inthegar 63 Feb 23, 2008 5:25 AM
What's The Story With Johnny Appleseed? VGMKY 13 Jul 26, 2008 2:00 AM
Fictionwise FREE ebooks drop 4 May 28, 2007 3:39 AM
24 Hour the tv show anastatia 164 May 2, 2007 7:10 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America