What a find!!!

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

On saturday my dh was hired out to do a job for a lady who is building a house. She needed about a half of foot of earth scraped off so the foundation to her home could be started. As my husband was scarping the ground with his box blade the earth moved uncovered a wonderful treasure!! There were bricks under the soil!! He came home and told me about the bricks...I begged him to call the lady and ask her if I could go get some of the old bricks. She said I could have all I wanted! So on sunday afternoon, with a pick axe in hand, several shovels and a crow bar we started to dig. There they were..brick after brick after brick...the earth was unfolding a wonderful secret it had been keeping..The bricks were hand made my slaves in the 1800's apparently there was an old blacksmiths shop there and it was part of a plantation. The bricks were 6 layers deep in the ground in some places. Some places they were only 4 layers deep. As I gingerly picked up each brick, I thought about all the toil that must have been for each one made, how someone hundreds of years ago made them and placed each one where it needed to be. I thought about how much sweat went into each layer of brick...I felt a deep sorrow in my heart for the slaves....little did they know that someone so many years down the road would hold the bricks they toiled over so dear. We carefully loaded our find...and I will make something with them. I will cherish my bricks!!! I just think about all the 100's of bricks that will soon be covered up with a new home on top of them, never to be appreciated again...sigh, if I could have just gotten a few more....What a find!

[ Removed per member request. - Admin]

southeast, NE

How wonderful Lisa!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Rejoicing with you! That's so neat. :o) Kimberley

Philadelphia, PA(Zone 6b)

Lisa, what a wonderful thing to stumble upon! It's great to have the bricks in themselves, but to have ones reflective of such a history is a true gem. I'm glad that you are the keeper and not the foundation of the house :)
Trish

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

me too Trish! :)

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Lisa... How Wonderful... both the bricks, and the history!

My neighbor across the street gave me a pile of old solid bricks that look handmade, but all she knew was that her ex-husband brought them home from a job in Biltmore Village, an area that used to be part of the Biltmore House grounds.

Jacksonville, TX(Zone 8b)

Lisa,

That is a great story, and find!!!

What are you planning to do with them?

A wishing well comes to mind.....

Great job!

Trish

(Zone 7a)

If it's not too late, you might want to alert an archeologist...they do salvage archeology on such things and record its history. Even if you have dug the site, there may still be enough there for historical information.

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Lantana, you and I are on the same thought wave...I suggested to her that she should have someone come out and look at the site...she declined. She wants to get her house started and she wants the bricks for a better foundation :(

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

go back and get the rest-sell them at daves farm!!! a piece of history for all of us!!!
Lisa you did it again-teary eyed!!!

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

Yeah, What Trish said ......

Quoting:
What are you planning to do with them?

Her idear of a Wishing Well sounds perfect ;-))

Thumbnail by scooterbug
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

exactly what i did with some old bricks and planted it up!!

opps forgot the pick!

Thumbnail by The_Wonder_Downunder
Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

love it ,, well done (pun intended)

heheheeh

Tampa, FL

Wonderful find...and you did such a nice job telling us the story! Hope you do something wonderful with them! edging for a small herb garden? sue

Dahlonega, GA

just found this , well , what did you do with them ? wonderful find !! sally

(Cissy) San Jose, CA(Zone 9b)

Wow, this is an old thread, digger. I wonder if "justmelisa" is still a member. I, too, would like to know the outcome, if any.

Dahlonega, GA

I went to her personal page and have been reading threads she started. she is one heck of a lady .her threads on the pet forum are good reading , absolutely my kind of people . she probably is still a member . sally

Thanks Sally! I wonder if she'll read this thread. Anyway, glad she is still around :) :)

Dahlonega, GA

She's still posting , so when she goes to dg , she'll see there's activety on her threads . she joined in '01. she's a transplant from katrina, in louisiana . This last storm ,Ivan turned north and missed us , on the coast in Tex . hit in the Houston area instead . sally

Thanks, Sally :) JustMeLisa, please tell us what happened with those wonderful bricks :)

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Hi there!

I suppose since this is an older thread it didn't show up on my "watch" list! I just happened to come over this way and saw that I was being looked for :0).

The bricks made the 600 mile move to Kentucky when we left Louisiana. They are now part of a lovely patio my DH & I put in this past summer. I admire them everyday! I'll post a picture later on to show y'all. Thanks for the interest...I'm still around, I just don't have time to post as often. I home school our daughter and when I'm not schooling, I have tons of chores waiting.. :0)

Cullman, AL(Zone 7a)

Well Hello. It is good to "see a familiar face". I didn't know you had relocated. I've been so busy with life that I have not been active here in years! I do drop in and read a while on sleepless nights. It's good to know all you folks with a gardening heart like mine are still gardening, visiting, and sharing. Merry Christmas justmeLisa and everyone else here. I continue to watch and I'm thrilled that "Daves Garden" is alive well and thriving. God Bless! -doris

Lisa, sounds wonderful!! I look forward to the pictures...and welcome back to your thread! Merry Christmas!!

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Merry Christmas to you too Sis_E!
Hi Doris, nice to "see" you here too!

When I first started this thread, it was in '01 and we didn't have a Garden Art forum..wondering if I should have it moved to Garden Art or maybe Landscaping?

Anyway, we're having fun here..so here a picture before it was finished.

Thumbnail by justmeLisa

ohhh, nice Lisa!! Thanks! Now, we get to see some awesome bricks!

Cullman, AL(Zone 7a)

Lisa, that is wonderful! You should take another picture of the finished project (when you have time) and post in the garden art and we can all go there to see it and others will be able to enjoy also! I know the Season adds even more things to take our time than the routine. -doris

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

That is awesome! Great job!

Crossville, TN

Did you move all those bricks from LA? Jo

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

yep, every last one of 'em.

How are you doing Miss Jo? Haven't seen you much lately, of course I've been busy myself..trying to stay WARM!

Crossville, TN

Lisa, I've been busy too..trying to spread laughter throughout the world!! LOL

Hugs to you , Jesse and Sally! Jo

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

well, isn't that just precious! ;0)

Crossville, TN

LOL LOL Jo

Dahlonega, GA

Hi, All. I had hundreds of brick and glass blocks . Gave them to a friend, and she left her dh, and he moved off and left everything . BUMMER ! Sally

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

Oh no I would love to have had the glass blocks. How terrible.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images