Photo by Melody

PlantFiles Pictures: Dusty Miller (Senecio cineraria)

Communities > Forums > PlantFiles Pictures
bookmark
Forum: PlantFiles PicturesReplies: 4, Views: 367
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

February 23, 2003
10:04 PM

Post #475817

Dusty Miller, Silver Ragwort
Jacobaea maritima

Dusty Miller in the front border backed by rudbeckia - Anchorage, Alaska - September 2002

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/247/

Thumbnail by Weezingreens
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Bug_Girl
San Francisco, CA

February 24, 2003
2:17 AM

Post #475992

Those are great black eyed susans. I had them one year and they were great plants, but I tried them again the next year and I just could not get good results. It may have been the source in which I bought the plants, maybe some are better stock or genes then others? Otherwise, I can't figure it out, they got the same treatment and location each time.
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

February 24, 2003
6:20 AM

Post #476109

These are a special variety of rudbeckia... Indian Summer, I think. I wish I could say I grew these, but they were along the side of Alaska Mill & Feed in Anchorage. I think they get a bit more heat & sun up there. I don't have a lot of luck with rudbeckias.
Bug_Girl
San Francisco, CA

February 24, 2003
1:30 PM

Post #476187

If there are different types of black eyed susans that explains having them work one year and not the next. Some years are also sunnier then others. They took a long time to bloom and soon after blooming they stopped blooming and died. Basically, they were not happy. When a plant is really working you get that feeling that it is doing great.
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

February 24, 2003
7:43 PM

Post #476386

Boy, that's true, isn't it. There are some plants that are marginally successful here, so some years they are a pleasure, the next a disappointment, bu I keep planting the ones I really like. Here's a page with some rudbeckia cultivars (scroll down): http://www.nickys-nursery.co.uk/seeds/pages/page12.htm

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other PlantFiles Pictures Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Japanese Silver Grass, Miscanthus, Eulalia, Maiden Grass, Zebra Grass (Miscanthu hczone6 2 Oct 4, 2010 7:21 PM
Feather Reed Grass (Calamagrostis acutiflora) hczone6 1 Mar 23, 2009 1:36 PM
Lanceleaf Coreopsis, Tickseed Coreopsis (Coreopsis lanceolata) dave 1 Jul 18, 2010 11:26 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Estella' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 7 Mar 24, 2011 7:32 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Grand Marnier' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 8 Nov 17, 2014 3:08 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America