Photo by Melody
We rolled out several small fixes on January 29. If you encounter any problems, please report them in the designated thread in the DG Site Updates forum.

PlantFiles Pictures: Dusty Miller (Senecio cineraria)

Communities > Forums > PlantFiles Pictures
bookmark
Forum: PlantFiles PicturesReplies: 4, Views: 367
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

February 23, 2003
10:04 PM

Post #475817

Dusty Miller, Silver Ragwort
Jacobaea maritima

Dusty Miller in the front border backed by rudbeckia - Anchorage, Alaska - September 2002

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/247/

Thumbnail by Weezingreens
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Bug_Girl
San Francisco, CA

February 24, 2003
2:17 AM

Post #475992

Those are great black eyed susans. I had them one year and they were great plants, but I tried them again the next year and I just could not get good results. It may have been the source in which I bought the plants, maybe some are better stock or genes then others? Otherwise, I can't figure it out, they got the same treatment and location each time.
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

February 24, 2003
6:20 AM

Post #476109

These are a special variety of rudbeckia... Indian Summer, I think. I wish I could say I grew these, but they were along the side of Alaska Mill & Feed in Anchorage. I think they get a bit more heat & sun up there. I don't have a lot of luck with rudbeckias.
Bug_Girl
San Francisco, CA

February 24, 2003
1:30 PM

Post #476187

If there are different types of black eyed susans that explains having them work one year and not the next. Some years are also sunnier then others. They took a long time to bloom and soon after blooming they stopped blooming and died. Basically, they were not happy. When a plant is really working you get that feeling that it is doing great.
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

February 24, 2003
7:43 PM

Post #476386

Boy, that's true, isn't it. There are some plants that are marginally successful here, so some years they are a pleasure, the next a disappointment, bu I keep planting the ones I really like. Here's a page with some rudbeckia cultivars (scroll down): http://www.nickys-nursery.co.uk/seeds/pages/page12.htm

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other PlantFiles Pictures Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Japanese Silver Grass, Miscanthus, Eulalia, Maiden Grass, Zebra Grass (Miscanthu hczone6 2 Oct 4, 2010 7:21 PM
Feather Reed Grass (Calamagrostis acutiflora) hczone6 1 Mar 23, 2009 1:36 PM
Lanceleaf Coreopsis, Tickseed Coreopsis (Coreopsis lanceolata) dave 1 Jul 18, 2010 11:26 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Estella' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 7 Mar 24, 2011 7:32 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Grand Marnier' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 8 Nov 17, 2014 3:08 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America