Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Anyone know this one??

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 12, Views: 240
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MOLLYBEE
Villa Rica, GA
(Zone 7a)

May 23, 2001
3:47 AM

Post #5253

I bought these seeds last summer and planted them but I totally forgot what they were?? anyone know?? the seed pods look like bean pods about the size of a toothpick is round and about 3" long...I need a name for it. any help would be great!!
Mollybee
With the help of my DG friends we figured this out to be Dame's Rocket Thanks for your inout on this!

This message was edited Friday, May 25th 8:39 PM

Thumbnail by MOLLYBEE
Click the image for an enlarged view.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 23, 2001
1:54 PM

Post #76559

MollyBee, I am not good at identification, and cannot see enough in either pic of this, BUT the seed pod description sounds like the cleome I had last year.
MOLLYBEE
Villa Rica, GA
(Zone 7a)

May 23, 2001
2:19 PM

Post #76562

Unlike the Cleome this has a Wonderful smell in the evening time, I think I figured it out to be maybe dame's rocket.
someone replied back to the other post and told me that and I done a little search on it and although the search picture wasn't clear eaither I am pretty sure that was it.

thanks for your input though.
mollybee
motts1
south central, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 23, 2001
3:41 PM

Post #76579

It looks like my Dames Rocket-hesperius matrolinus (sp?) and I love the evening smell. I have both purple and an almost white.
MOLLYBEE
Villa Rica, GA
(Zone 7a)

May 23, 2001
4:27 PM

Post #76596

MarciaGeiger, How long have you had your's?? Have you ever collected seeds from your's?? the reason I ask is mine is loaded with "bean looking seed pods" and I am not sure how long to leave them before collecting them, do you know?? also, is there any way to get a second blooming from them??
you can e/mail me direct if you want.
thanks for your help
mollybee
poppysue
Westbrook, ME
(Zone 5a)

May 24, 2001
1:36 AM

Post #76689

These buggers re-seed like crazy and can even be a problem in some areas. The plant is actually a biennial and usually the flowering parent won't return the following year but leaves behind a whole slew of babies. The stalks grow longer as they flower and those skinny little bean type of pods form. It always seems to me the seeds take a long time to ripen. The pods will turn a light brown color as they're ready. They'll start turning at the bottom of the stalks first. I usually wait until half of the pods have turned and just cut the entire stalk off rather than waiting for each little pod to turn and pick them by hand. I turn the stalks upside down into a paper grocery bag and let them sit until they're dry. Then I will strip the pods from the stalk in to a plastic bag and scrunch them up. The pods have a thin membrane down the center and there are seeds on each side of the membrane - it's a real pain to try to break each one open. I just keep scrunching them until I'm satisfied most of the seeds have been dislodged. Then you can just shake the bag and the seeds will all sink to the bottom and chaff can be taken out. I save the chaff and toss it in the field behind my house because there are still a lot of seeds in it and now I have a nice big wild patch there.
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

May 24, 2001
2:08 AM

Post #76694

Mollybee
i agree with Poppysue. it's dames rocket and I save my seed the dame way. it reseeds like crazy here too. Sometimes even see it along the roadsides.
Calalily
MOLLYBEE
Villa Rica, GA
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2001
2:13 AM

Post #76697

poppysue, WOW it sounds like I am in for a real treat huh?? so the way I understand you to say is the parent plant will not be back next year?? and the babies will come up as just green plants until the year after next?? well even so I will gladly wait, because they are very pretty flowers and waiting on the next ones to bloom wont be a problem. only difference this time is I know what they are and I know what they look like. so I will welcome all the babies in the year to come, and maybe even trade some seeds here on DG. Thanks for ALLLL your help.
Mollybee
MOLLYBEE
Villa Rica, GA
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2001
2:16 AM

Post #76699

Calalily, Have you ever traded your seeds here on DG? If not I bet they would go like hot cakes!! LOL What color are your's?
motts1
south central, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 24, 2001
2:31 AM

Post #76705

Hi, I just let mine seed themselves. I do go out and catch a few seeds, once the "bean" has ripened enough to start peeling back,so a little work and I can have a few seeds to trade. I do wait until they start opening so that I know that they are ripe and dry.
MOLLYBEE
Villa Rica, GA
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2001
2:42 AM

Post #76710

MarciaGeiger, good idea, but it's soo hard "not" to pick the "bean's" and look at them. If I could just stay away from them for a couple of days I think I'd be ok. but I just can't quit LOOKING at them...LOL That too is my problem with sprouting out direct seeds,, I look at them WAY TOO many times and they never seem to be doing anything. I guess I need to go off for the whole weekend "then" come back and look at everything!! LOL
I am SOO hooked on flowers!!!! I just can't help myself.
but it's a good thing I guess.
poppysue
Westbrook, ME
(Zone 5a)

May 24, 2001
2:42 AM

Post #76711

Actually MOLLYBEE sometimes the parent plant will come back - but not usually. A general rule of thumb that I go on is ... "If a plant blooms it's head off - than it won't come back next year". This seems to hold true for a lot of plants and especially with biennials. Your plant looks like it's blooming it's head off to me ;o)

If you let it go to seed than it's likely you'll see babies by the end of the summer and still get flowers next year. I like dame's rocket too but I think there are some states that consider it a noxious weed.
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

May 25, 2001
10:06 PM

Post #77236

I don't know what it is, but I know what it isn't and it is not cleome (spider plant)! Good luck on the ID
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

May 26, 2001
2:16 AM

Post #77315

Mollybee
The seeds that come up this year will bloom next year. That's how you always have the bienniels every year. I do the canterbury bells the same way, start some this year to bloom next year and on and on...
Calalily
MOLLYBEE
Villa Rica, GA
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2001
3:31 AM

Post #77343

Calalily, thanks I was wondering b/c at first I thought I was going to have to cut them back b/c they are getting really tall and funny looking now that all the flowers are gone, and there is nothing left but seed pods. so I should just leave them until some of them start drying out so that they can self seed?? I figure the more questions I ask this year the more I'll know when they come back next time, :) Thanks for your help. and may the sun always shine on your garden. :)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America