Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Garden Pests and Diseases: These ants are a bane

Communities > Forums > Garden Pests and Diseases
bookmark
Forum: Garden Pests and DiseasesReplies: 18, Views: 575
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

March 6, 2003
5:11 AM

Post #484023

These ants get angry when someone goes near them, by shaking their antennae angrily at the person. If it is within reach, it will give you a painful bite which swells. They form colonies by joining the leaves of plants together with a white sticky juice. When it falls from a height, it exudes this string like the spider. It is a nuisance in any garden.

Thumbnail by Dinu
Click the image for an enlarged view.

wannadanc
Olympia, WA

March 16, 2003
2:22 PM

Post #491632

Great photo!!!!!!! I have no answer, but wanted to complement you on your photo skills!!!!! And just maybe you were only passing on information and NOT looking for an answer!

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

March 17, 2003
3:18 AM

Post #492089

Those are just three soldiers of the Great Army! Yes, just thought of sharing how these fellas look. Its length is about a cm.
pebble
Bodrum
Turkey
(Zone 10a)

March 28, 2003
10:41 PM

Post #499359

Dinu, very interesting... I have seen many documentaries on ants, theyare something else. In tazmania there are some real nasty ants that attack people with no provocations and bite them, their poison is deadly.
ButterflyGardnr
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 29, 2003
3:21 AM

Post #499529

Sounds like as much fun as our fire ants. Those little demons can pack a nasty bite, but meat tenderizer (papaya enzyme) will take lots of the sting out. Tenderizer also works on bee stings, by the way.
Sugar_fl
montgomery, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 19, 2003
5:29 AM

Post #514605

Boy am I having a problem with fire ants. If I put the granulars on them they popup just inches away. I am really having a fight with them & not sure who is gonna win :)
desert_rose
Dripping Springs, TX

April 19, 2003
4:13 PM

Post #514783

Sugar_fl If you have an organic nursery around you see if they carry beneficial nemetodes. The store should have them refrigerated and you should keep them cool on the way home. The only other thing I use is orange oil, pyrethrum,and molasses.
BugFreak
Navarre (NW FL), FL
(Zone 8b)

February 2, 2004
6:56 PM

Post #770684

Dinu,
I'm not sure if these ants are the same ones but I do recall in parts of Malaysia where these weaver ants are being used to grow organic fruits. They are very effective in expanding to claim territory and killing off pests that would otherwise eat the fruit trees. They are supposedly more effective and obviously more invornmentally friendly. The ant colonies are placed through out the orchards/trees. These ants build a network along all the trees since the trees are all joined intentionally by the orchard owners/workers to allow the ants to do this. When the fruit is ready to be picked or when maintainence is needed by the trees they are simply sprayed with water. This forces the ants to retreat and hide in their colonies allowing the orchard workers to pick the fruit and do any needed maintainence. Pretty neat I though.

BugFreak
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

February 3, 2004
7:39 PM

Post #771612

If you can find the hill or colony, pour a gallon or so of nearly boiling water into it. Human urine is suppose to be a deterent. Personally I prefer to just kill them. Not as organic but very effective is pouring gasoline, kerosine, etc mixed with old motor oil over and into the colony and setting it on fire.
patischell
Fort Pierce, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 3, 2004
8:52 PM

Post #771658

Re: fire ants. I was told never to put the granules ON the nest. They see it as a threat and just carry them off. Put it away from the opening and they will carry it inside. Don't know how true this is. I use the boiling water method myself.
Pati
PS GREAT picture!

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

February 9, 2004
4:55 AM

Post #776585

Yes, I too use kerosene and it is quite effective in killing them. It controls the aphids too to a great extent. I saw it myself on my hibiscus plant this season. These nests are all over the place including my neighbour's. It bites only when it is angry.
ladyannne
Merced, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 5, 2004
2:24 PM

Post #1035466

Dinu, that was one grand picture. We have had ants every year, they clean up dead snails and otherwise are the garden garbage collectors. As long as they stay out of the house and the inner garden, we get along just fine. A line of poisons have always kept them in line. So far.

Suddenly we are over run and this year these common little brown ants bite! Inside the house I discovered a counter covered with them, placed a variety of sweet baits for them and almost a week later, I think I am simply feeding these guys. Store baits, borax and pyretheum and arsenic based, then borax mixed with corn syrup. Nothing seems to be slowing the stream down. Because of their path, I can't locate their trail to the nest. Any suggestions? I am declaring war, I want these guys gone!

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

October 6, 2006
4:44 AM

Post #2790084

New camera, better shots. They continue to be a bane. But not harmful if left alone.

Thumbnail by Dinu
Click the image for an enlarged view.

betterbloom
Blythe, CA
(Zone 10b)

October 6, 2006
5:27 PM

Post #2791358

I think I read something about putting down grits and then watering them makes them explode..it was on a thread at dg. That reminds me that I was going to buy grits yesterday while shopping and forgot. Oh well, next time. I'll see if I can find it again.
dun1kirk
Berkeley, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 6, 2006
5:37 PM

Post #2791387

I once read that a mix of boric acid, sugar and water, placed in a can and placed on its side will kill them The sugar attracts and the boric acid kills in the nest.
betterbloom
Blythe, CA
(Zone 10b)

October 6, 2006
5:44 PM

Post #2791408

okay, I found it under Crafts and Decorating? Feed the ants grits, after they have eaten it, spread water on the mound and they will explode. I haven't tried it yet, but sounds interesting. It also mentions ants do not like cucumber peels. Other ideas there also.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

October 13, 2006
11:09 AM

Post #2812814

Cucumber peels.. will have to try this interesting one.
garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 14, 2006
12:37 AM

Post #2815027

When we lived in the tropics, we used cucumber peels to deter roaches. Hadn't thought about the ants.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

November 13, 2007
5:18 PM

Post #4189063

Weaver ants. Oecophylla smaragdina.

[This is just to bring up the thread to link elsewhere]

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Garden Pests and Diseases Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hollyhock Rust ??? snuggles 8 Feb 25, 2008 1:41 PM
Pests: Calling all slug experts! (Not for the faint of heart) candleberry 162 Jun 18, 2014 7:41 AM
PROOF that milk kills mildew Wintermoor 26 Jun 26, 2007 4:54 PM
Getting rid of yellow jackets ButterflyGardnr 23 Jun 18, 2009 2:34 AM
Perennials Rarely eaten by Deer Moda127 28 Mar 27, 2008 11:17 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America