Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

New Zealand tomato tree???

Valley Head, WV(Zone 5a)

I recieved on of those gardening advertisement packages in the mail. This one advertised a perennial tomato TREE, not a vine or the ordinary tomato plant. The ad says "incredible horticultural concept from New Zealand".

Has anyone heard of this? I'm very curious, I know these ads can be decieving, but there are also lots of garden wonders out there that I know nothing about.

Wanting to learn here in WV, mamakane

Ladysmith, BC(Zone 8a)

Well the tomato plant is really a perennial, we in North America grow it as an annual, as it is frost sensitive, so if it is comming from New Zealand (who by the way also gets frost), I would imagine is just an ordinary tomato plant - scam?!

If you have a greenhouse your tomato plants will grow as tall as a tree if given the space & heat.

I would sort of class it as the same as the "Potoato/Tomato" plant, tomatoes on top & potatoes underneath. Though arnt potatos & tomatos of the same family, so maybe is true?

Saint Helen, MI(Zone 5a)

The potato/tomato thing is true. I have "The Grafters Handbook" and in that book the author discribes how to graft the two. I half heartly tried once but failed.
BTW I have heard of tomato plants growing in excess of 30 feet I have even heard rumors of a 40 foot vine (all were growing up trees, old buildings and the like). I have personally seen vines over 20 feet. I am trying for a 20 foot vine in northern michigan this year.

Tuscany - Italy, Italy(Zone 9a)

I think it is not a tomato but a tamarillo (cyphomandra betacea)from Latin America.
Fruits are not very tasty,plants are fine and tall if have suitable climate,

hope I was of some utility

Siena Italy

Richmond Hill, GA(Zone 8b)

Hi angelo! I see you're from one of the most beautiful countries on earth. I hope to make over there one day.

If you want Cyphomandra betacea, I have seeds to trade!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.