bale twine

Valley Head, WV(Zone 5a)

Okay, we all know that baling twine is a necessity around the farm, and not just for holding the hay together. What out of the ordinary uses have you found for this fix all twine? Have any funny stories with the use of baling twine?

Here's mine: When we went to town, my hubby forgot to put his belt on his clean jeans. (Yes I insist he change out of the grubby sheep smelling overalls before going to town) Well as the pants started to sag, he reached into the truck bed and retrived a piece of that trusty baling twine (You know there is always a piece in the back of the truck somewhere) and presto! a new belt. Now this probably doesn't sound funny to us farmers but the kids sure do get a kick out of teasing us and calling Dad Jethro (Beverly Hillbillies). I have to admit, I teased him a good bit too.

Now my 2nd use of baling twine will cross over to the craft forums. Using 6 strands of twine, I made a long braid. Then turned the braid into a wreath 6 to 8 inches across. To this I attached a small bundle of hay for a manger, added baby Jesus from a bead and a scrap of material. Added a lamb from white foam board to watch over the baby Jesus. And of course a star at the top. Add the message "tis the reason for the season" and you have a crafty Christmas gift to share with friends and family.

Another favorite - duck tape!

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Mamakane, I don't think my dad could have fixed anything without duct tape! Cute story! I used twine to tie up my 'mators with. Bye! Lisa

Depew, OK(Zone 6a)

we use the round bale twine in the garden to mark our rows & also make trellis for the climbing plants.

southeast, NE

I miss the twine. Most of our hay is now wire tied. And the twine that is used is the plastic stuff. We do recycle the wire - always have to have a wire cutters in our pocket. It does torque me a bit to find a piece of that wire in the bottom of my wash machine because the pockets didn't get cleaned out.

Lyndeborough, NH

Had 5 horses for 12 years, Saved every piece of twine,

10 years later I am getting some from a neighbor cause I am out.

Probably take most of a day to list everything I have done with the stuff.

muffler up to get trcuk home.

Hold doors closed on friends car that was in accident.

Temp door latches,

Gluing straps.

Seeding lines.

Bundling brush.

+ 999 etc's

Byron

Chattahoochee, FL

JEWEL!!! I'll send you some twine for some of that baling wire. No one uses wire around here any more, so you can't even buy the stuff. A farmer with some baling wire can even out-do a woman with a bobby pin when it comes to fixin' things. ;-)>>>

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

I've got baleing wire. It holds the farm together! My sister gave me a rug (outside foot wiper) that she made of plastic baleing twine using a crochet hook. My roll of jute type baleing twine is getting pretty thin. I use that for helping me make the garden rows sorta straight, but the wind always seems to be blowing when I'm doing that, so the middle is never where it should be.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images