-
AuthorContent
Shirley1md
Ellicott City, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 25, 2003
3:49 AM

Post #497189

I feel strongly that this forum needs to be renamed from the "disabled" to the "enabled gardeners" forum! What do you guys think? Anyone else feel this way? I need your input before taking the next step.
Aimee
Georgetown, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 25, 2003
6:01 PM

Post #497421

Definitely, "enabled" puts a more positive spin on it. I think many of us have some form of "disability" but are reluctant to be known as "disabled". Somehow, that has a more permanent connotation, as if we are not going to be able to overcome our particular obstacle. In Texas schools, "special ed" has always been associated with retarded students, but in actual fact included students who needed prothesis, medical monitoring or anything at all out of the ordinary. I have noticed more and more references to "special needs" groups in schools. It's all in the semantics, but it does matter. Are there other terms someone would feel more comfortable using? "Alternative gardening solutions"?
Shirley1md
Ellicott City, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 26, 2003
1:47 AM

Post #497620

Aimee,

You're right! Semantics make a big difference in people's perception of others. It either puts a positive or a negative spin on the label being applied. Personally, I feel that society as a whole needs to be educated to the positive contributions that everyone makes, regardless of their limitations, and it should be viewed in a positive frame of mind.

I like BOTH "Enabled" or "Alternative Gardening Solutions". They both convey a positive perception in the reader's mind.
OhioBreezy
Dundee, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 26, 2003
4:22 AM

Post #497690

You are right, take the plunge to the next step and see about that title change!!!!
Aimee
Georgetown, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 26, 2003
4:04 PM

Post #497923

I read somewhere that we shouldn't count what we have lost but what we have left, and this seems like a good example. So go for it, Shirley1md!
melvatoo
Denton, TX
(Zone 7a)

March 26, 2003
7:07 PM

Post #498048

I agree that a name change would be a good thing!
Shirley1md
Ellicott City, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 27, 2003
4:55 PM

Post #498564

I think this Forum's name should be changed to: (PLEASE VOTE FOR ONE).

1. "Enabled Gardeners"

2. "Alternative Gardening Solutions"
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

March 27, 2003
6:39 PM

Post #498611

I'd have to go for Alternative Gardening Solutions. Because reality is that I AM disabled in several ways. I may be able to continue to do some things by using alternative methods, but it doesn't remove my disability.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 27, 2003
7:07 PM

Post #498627

I like Alternative Gardening Solutions. When I see enabled used in place of disabled, it just makes me think of politically-correct double-speak. In truth, we're all disabled in some way, but we're also differently-abled in others. But the commonality is that we have found alternative ways to garden so that we can still enjoy it.
Shirley1md
Ellicott City, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 28, 2003
1:22 AM

Post #498841

Well put, gardenwife!

Anyone else who would like to add their 2 cents worth?
Aimee
Georgetown, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 28, 2003
6:34 PM

Post #499222

I agree with the above posts. So well said, so true of so many of us. So the Alternative Gardening Solutions gets my vote. I do wish it wasn't so long!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 28, 2003
7:19 PM

Post #499251

What about just Alternative Gardening?
Aimee
Georgetown, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 28, 2003
7:37 PM

Post #499262

The problem I have with that and the longer version is that it brings to mind organic gardening, seeming to focus on the type of gardening instead of the gardener. Do we need a think tank to bat around some other ideas? This seems close but not quite there yet. Challenged gardeners popped into my head, but aren't we all challenged as gardeners? Oh, dear, we need more input, I think. Where are the wordsmiths?
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 28, 2003
7:46 PM

Post #499270

How about Accessible Gardening?
Aimee
Georgetown, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 28, 2003
7:50 PM

Post #499272

Hmmm. something to think about. Anyone else have ideas? With all the creative member names, I just know someone has the "Ah-Ha" name in their heads.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 28, 2003
7:55 PM

Post #499278

Obtainable Gardening
Reachable Gardening
Manageable Gardening
Physically-challenged Gardeners (though it smacks of PC, it fits)
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 29, 2003
12:31 AM

Post #499419

I hate to say it, but how about just Disabled Gardeners? Its short, to the point and no one is going to be confused by it. And this way Dave won't have to worry about changing it.

We know that we are enabled and uplifted by our gardening habits, and I would imagine that others would realize that if we fall into the category of disabled and still manage to garden, that we are pretty much NOT looking for pity.

I think more than a name change, an attitude adjustment might be inorder wherein we spend more time working on threads like Weezingreen's garden construction thread. I don't mean to sound like I'm critisizing, but I think the intent of this forum was to share solutions and ideas for gardening beyond our disabilities.

to clarify, I used to spend some time at a forum for people suffering with rheumatoid arthritis. I don't go there anymore, because although it is a wonderful place to get information from others who have RA, it also tends to spiral down into a lot of little pity parties and after awhile, you begin to wonder why you bother. I have at times felt the same way about this forum, and it makes me sad, because I think the point is, as I said, to share solutions.

Shirley1md
Ellicott City, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 29, 2003
2:28 AM

Post #499501

It's all in one's perspective and attitude toward making the best of physical or mental disabilities.

Personally speaking, I think the word "disabled" has a negative connotation! I'm here to gain & share ideas, as well as, emotional support. From my point of view, that is just as important!

Everyone is free to make their own choices. It's entirely up to you, on the insight and information that you gain from this forum!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 29, 2003
5:29 AM

Post #499581

I still like accessible gardening, because that's what we're striving for.
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 29, 2003
6:07 AM

Post #499586

How about Overcoming Obstacles ?
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 29, 2003
6:10 AM

Post #499587

Now, that's a definite possibility. :)
nicksgrammy
barrington, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 29, 2003
1:45 PM

Post #499735

ok everybody, i've got the definitive title for this forum.
we are either "a-hurtin" or "a-not-hurtin". right now i'm feeling ok but the barometer is going to change soon so look out! i don't care what the so-called experts say, my arthritis always acts up more whenever the barometer fluctuates.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 29, 2003
3:52 PM

Post #499792

Barometric Gardeners. ;)
Shirley1md
Ellicott City, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 29, 2003
4:56 PM

Post #499807

Thanks everyone for your creative suggestions for changing the title of this forum. We have plenty of ideas! So now, please choose one (1) name ONLY!! The one with the majority of votes will be chosen and I'll make that suggestion in Dave's Garden Forum. I will also link this thread to show everyone's support of a title change.

PLEASE VOTE BY SATURDAY, APRIL 5th.

Again, thank you everyone for you wonderful ideas, for being at DG and supporting each other! That's what true friendship is all about!!

HUGS,

Shirley

Please choose only 1 suggestion for a new forum name:

1. "Accessible Gardening"
2. "Alternative Gardening Solutions"
3. "Barometric Gardeners"
4. "Enabled Gardeners"
5. "Manageable Gardening"
6. "Obtainable Gardening"
7. "Overcoming Obstacles"
8. "Reachable Gardening"
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 29, 2003
5:08 PM

Post #499811

I vote for #1, Accessible Gardening

Something that just occurred to me as I read the names was this: I think that title might bring people to DG who are searching for the words accessible gardening in search engines.
Shirley1md
Ellicott City, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 29, 2003
5:40 PM

Post #499829

gw: I think it would be a "good thing" to bring people to DG who are using search engines with certain "buzz words". This forum well be the stronger with members who choose to participate in it!
Ponditis
Lincoln City, OR
(Zone 9a)

March 31, 2003
3:39 AM

Post #500930

I vote for #9 disabled gardeners.

I don't think a name change will make any difference on how we view ourselves or the others that share our common bond and search engines will still be able to find us.

I have never felt funny about using the name disabled because I AM disabled in some ways but I am one to keep on keeping on and if gardening is what I want to do then it becomes a high priority for me to keep on doing it however possible.

Disabled is NOT a negative connotation of us it is just the plain unadulterated truth of the matter. Our bodies are not as able to do things as some others bodies are and we are just trying to find alternative ways to do what we want to do. Since we are not able to do things that other bodies are able to do then we are, by definition, *dis*abled.

PK

March 31, 2003
4:34 AM

Post #500965

I'd like to vote for #1 Accessible gardening. Thats my 2 cents!
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 31, 2003
11:33 AM

Post #501071

I still say leave it Disabled gardeners.
nicksgrammy
barrington, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 1, 2003
1:26 AM

Post #501640

i kind of like gardenwife's suggestion of "barometric gardeners" but i guess that i will cast a vote for accessible gardening.
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 2, 2003
11:08 AM

Post #502512

I still think we need to be honest about ourselves and stay with Disabled Gardeners. I really dislike this renaming of everythig just to be Politically Correct or not offend someone. I'm offended by the lack of facing reality in this world!
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 3, 2003
12:41 AM

Post #502923

I have no objection to the term Disabled but don't really know if it applies to everyone that could benifit from accessibility techniques that are often designed for the true disabled person. For instance I have no bad discs in my back but often suffer back aches from the bending required in gardening. Raised beds and platform gardens that were designed with someone with a wheelchair are a great solution for me and allow me to enjoy gardening more. So it makes me feel like a fraud to speak up too much in a forum entitled "Disabled Gardners" I agree that there is way too much rephrasing for the purpose of appearing to be politically correct but in this instance it is not to use the "proper termenology" that I was looking for but to make it a bit less exclusive and more inclusive of those like me that while we are not yet considered to be Disabled we are aging and infirm enough to be looking for better and less painful ways to accomplish the tasks involved in gardening.

But whatever you all decide is fine with me :~)
Brenda
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 3, 2003
12:53 AM

Post #502930

Great point, Brenda - That's exactly why I suggested accessible gardening.
Aimee
Georgetown, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 3, 2003
2:24 AM

Post #503026

Well, how about "Challenged Gardeners"? Of course, that actually applies to any gardener, and at some time in our gardening lives we all are met with extra challenges. I don't think of myself as disabled until someone young and strong and tall and smart and other very vavoom adjectives comes along. Always, I think whatever hurts on any given day is temporary, whether it's true or not. This is really a far more complex category than a few words can describe.
melvatoo
Denton, TX
(Zone 7a)

April 3, 2003
7:36 AM

Post #503173

I vote for changing it to Enabled Gardeners.
Melva
spidra
Berkeley, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 6, 2007
4:24 PM

Post #3362500

Posting years later here...but the way I was able to find this forum was by a Google search on "Disabled gardeners". It would not have occurred to me to do a web search on "enabled gardeners".

Spidra Webster
(thoracic outlet syndrome, carpal tunnel syndrome & cubital tunnel syndrome)
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 8, 2007
9:45 AM

Post #3368003

Great point, Spidra, and welcome!
starlight1153
Seale, AL
(Zone 8b)

April 8, 2007
6:12 PM

Post #3369365

I know your date is up for a vote, but I vote for accessible.

There are alot of folks here that read and visit that are not disabled in a real physical sense. Soem folks come to read how to make things better for friends and relatives. Soem folks come to learn to better prepare to make there lives easier as they get ready to face gardening challenges.

There are all type s and kinds of folks who visit this forum for any number of reason. Not all are physically challenged. Some may have mental challenges, stress challenges , and a host of any number of other challenges and by having the name accessible it leaves it open to cover the whole wide range of folks and their problems or the needs they need to gather from this forum.

The title accessible gives you the image of maybe a better way , an easier way of gardening for whatever challenge or problem you are facing or questioning.

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 8, 2007
6:20 PM

Post #3369383

There's no vote up for changing the name - it's an old thread. I was just saying it was a good point that the thread was found by someone searching for disabled gardening, which is likely how many would happen upon it if they didn't know about the forum's title.
starlight1153
Seale, AL
(Zone 8b)

April 8, 2007
6:28 PM

Post #3369401

Well dah... How stuip am I today. Quite it seems. Thanks Garden wife... Didn't notice that the thread was coming from years ago.

Think the cold has froze my brain, either that or I need a nap. Think the nap sounds good. : )

Thanks again!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 8, 2007
6:29 PM

Post #3369404

I'm right with ya on the nap idea! Me, too!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Accessible Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
abled fighters dpmichael 13 Sep 28, 2009 1:31 AM
Gardening with a bad knee Bug_Girl 13 Aug 28, 2009 4:26 PM
a gardening poem debi_z 43 Jun 17, 2013 4:59 AM
pneumatic seat for gardening debi_z 31 Jun 30, 2009 2:48 PM
Requesting 'gardening dispite physical limitations' info. jessamine 20 Aug 5, 2007 1:01 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America