Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Tropical Plants: I'm So Brave!!

Communities > Forums > Tropical Plants
bookmark
Forum: Tropical PlantsReplies: 9, Views: 142
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Tim
Palmyra, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2001
5:42 PM

Post #76899

any concerns regarding to kids getting into the plants? isn't it poisonous? i keep mine along one side of the house behind the fence so no one can see it from the front. also fenced in on the back side so the dogs can't get to it.
MzMunchken
Crestview, FL
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2001
10:53 PM

Post #76966

Removed by member request
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

May 26, 2001
2:36 AM

Post #77324

KHT
I'm in Tennessee and planted 8 in the ground last year. They all came back except two on the north side of the house. Could have been too wet, they were in the drip line of the house. I piled the leaves from my yard on them for the winter. Some are almost 24 inches tall already.
Calalily
JJsgarden
Northern Piedmont, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 26, 2001
3:08 AM

Post #77340

I'm in North Carolina (zone 7)and left one in the ground and covered with lots of pine straw and Christmas tree trimmings. It survived!!!!! And is now up and growing, but not quite as tall as Calilily's yet. I think the Daturas are history..no sign of life yet.
Jean
Nan
SW, WI
(Zone 4b)

May 30, 2001
7:23 PM

Post #78506

I'm in Wisconsin and planted 3 in ground last summer...my other half had to dig them up in the fall and man, it was a chore!!!! I'd have never done it, but a friend from Georgia insisted that I try...they did grow bigger leaves and had bigger blooms than those in pots. Karma HT, where do you live?
Nan
SW, WI
(Zone 4b)

June 1, 2001
4:33 PM

Post #79071

Oh, KHT! You're in a perfect place to try one in-ground!! I have a feeling you'll be really pleased witht the results. What zone? They might even regrow for you if left in-ground over winter. But, beware when/if you go to dig it up in the fall...holey snikies they get big!!
Have fun with it!! I decided I'm going to grow a couple in ground after all, and instead of digging up might just take some good sized cuttings.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tropical Plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Justicia spicigera Peter63 2 Oct 24, 2008 9:31 PM
caladium "Gingerland" Eclipse 43 Aug 21, 2012 7:10 PM
Malanga(Yautia) rootdoctor 22 Sep 18, 2010 8:01 AM
Castor Bean contest? rootdoctor 411 Jul 16, 2008 6:48 PM
Musa AE AE fivelabs 228 Jun 12, 2013 12:39 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America