Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Roses: Baby Windowsill Roses

Communities > Forums > Roses
bookmark
Forum: RosesReplies: 12, Views: 394
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
rhapsody
South of Boston, MA
(Zone 5a)

May 24, 2001
4:50 PM

Post #5331

Hi,
Has anyone had any experience with these roses? I am going to try and start them from seed - I say try, because I haven't had a lot of luck with seed starting!
The vendor describes these as great for containers and window boxes, and says they will bloom within three months of planting. That would bring them to bloom around the first of August. Any hints for success?
I love roses, and am really impressed with the spirit of adventure the posters in this forum have. I am going to experiment with some of the methods given for propagation. I have a few different roses I would like to duplicate.
Thanks, Rhapsody
Rosie163
Fort Smith, AR
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2001
3:12 PM

Post #77146

I read a bit about this offer after seeing your post. The only information on the seeds is sketchy and I would have to assume they are miniature roses. An alternative would be to watch for the suppermarket minis, usually planted 4-5 to a pot to make a quick display and then repotting them to grow on. I've picked up a few that way and still have them in my garden after four years and cold weather.

Pricewise, you come out about the same and have lots quicker results. If you decide to go with the seeds, let us know how you do with them. Never tried to start roses from seed but know people who have had good results. Only problem with garden grown roses used for seed, they don't always come true to the parent plant due to cross-pollenization.
rhapsody
South of Boston, MA
(Zone 5a)

May 25, 2001
8:43 PM

Post #77219

Hi Rosie,
Thanks for the reply. I got carried away with wanting to try seed starting a few months ago, and went with fragrant types, including 3 different Jasmines, Acacia, and these Rose seeds. So far, I have killed most of them with my brown, if not black, thumb.
The Rose seeds come out of the fridge on June 4th. They will probably not see the light of day after that, but I will give it a try.
I seem to have much better luck with veggie seeds - maybe I should stick with them! :)
Dorothy
Rosie163
Fort Smith, AR
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2001
9:42 PM

Post #77228

You're welcome, Dorothy. I had a second thought about seed starting. My husband raises a lot from seed and always had good success with veggie seeds but a lot of the flower seeds didn't get going. Until he started bottom watering. That seemed to be the turning point. Now he doesn't water from the top at all until the plant is well established. You might try that with the rose seeds to keep even moisture.
rhapsody
South of Boston, MA
(Zone 5a)

May 25, 2001
10:55 PM

Post #77249

Rosie,
Does he stand his seed starters on rocks, etc., and water that way, or does he just stand the little pots in the water and let them take it up? I've seen letting them stand on rocks for moisture mentioned in books, but I have never tried it.
I had the best luck with my veggies just rolling them in damp paper towels, putting them in a sealed baggie, and leaving them in a warm place. I wonder if the larger flower seeds (including my rose seeds) would work with that method?
Thanks for your help,
Dorothy
sunflower
Olive Branch, MS
(Zone 7b)

May 26, 2001
2:39 AM

Post #77327

Rhapsody, your roses would probably have better luck outside. Roses, even minis, aren't indoor plants, and suffer all kinds of pests and diseases inside. If you are having poor luck at germinating stuff already, I would personally just get a container or two and fill it with sterile potting medium, plant your seeds, and put the pot somewhere outdoors where you'll be sure to water it. Sometimes roses need a double dormancy to induce germination, so you might not see any sprouting until next year.
dk

May 26, 2001
1:59 PM

Post #77422

I grew some roses from seed that I purchased a couple of years ago.
*Be very very patient
*bottom water, and warmth
*sow many seeds, because some will not germinate, some will die early and the hardy ones will do great!
*Use good soilless mix and a steril container.
*Don't bury the seed very far. Don't know if they need light or dark, but you know the basic rule is don't bury seeds any deeper than they are wide.
I planted about 35-40 seeds. I ended up with about 8 plants out of the total started. They are doing great and I have taken several cuttings to increase what I started with. You should do great as long as you have realistic expectations.
rhapsody
South of Boston, MA
(Zone 5a)

May 29, 2001
7:02 PM

Post #78153

Hi Sunflower,
I had a lot of problems with seeds I tried germinating in little peat pots - I just couldn't seem to get the watering right. I think I will follow your suggestion and start them in one big pot in my greenhouse. It is attached to my house, so all I have to do is walk out of my kitchen right into it. I won't forget to water, and it will be a lot better than peat pots! I won't mind if they don't bloom until next year, it will be something new to look forward to.
Thanks for the idea, Dorothy
rhapsody
South of Boston, MA
(Zone 5a)

May 29, 2001
7:18 PM

Post #78159

Hello DK,
I will use all your suggestions, but I only got five seeds for these roses. I think it will be like a watched pot and never boil, if I get the same percentage you did. :)Maybe I will have a little newbie luck, and be taking cuttings myself next year!
Thank you for the reply, Dorothy
SDoglover1512
Port Huron, MI
(Zone 5b)

May 30, 2001
3:56 AM

Post #78342

Are these seeds mini's, because if they are, i seem to have just great luck with them outside.I keep them very tiny, and am absolutey amazed at the amount of people who notice them, let alone compliment me on them.
Sandy ...i live in zone 5...right on lake Michigan and the wind chill alone can be brutal, but they still do very well
rhapsody
South of Boston, MA
(Zone 5a)

May 31, 2001
4:04 PM

Post #78735

They never showed a picture of the roses, but I think they are mini - Windowsill would imply that, but you never know.
I live in Zone 5/6 (edge) in Massachusetts, and we have pretty good wind chill here too.
Do you leave them in the ground for the winter, or bring them in? I guess I think small means delicate, and was planning to grow them in pots, and bring them in.
I have ground space in my unheated greenhouse, and would love to plant one there for winter viewing. I have one red rose bush (normal size) that has even bloomed in January, if I don't prune it - the small roses would be very complimentary to that one if they would winter over.
Sorry to be late responding to you, but I sometimes have a problem accessing this site.
Dorothy
Marian
Danvers, MA

July 16, 2001
7:24 PM

Post #95253

Hi Rhapsody,
I also live in Massachusetts right on the 5-6 line and I have overwintered minis outside with good success!!! Of course it helps that my neighbors leaves blow in my garden and I leave them there till spring...but all in all minis are hardy as they are grown on their own root.
Marian
rhapsody
South of Boston, MA
(Zone 5a)

July 18, 2001
11:41 PM

Post #96288

Hi Marian,
I was a bit late planting the seeds, and they haven't germinated yet. I am hoping they will come up in the next month or so -- the package said 2-8 months, but I would like them sooner. I plan to winter them in my unheated, non-insulated greenhouse, since it will offer them at least a little protection from the elements. Very little! :-)
Glad to meet a fellow gardener from Mass. Have you found some of your plants growing slower this year, or had a problem with yellowing leaves from all the water?
Dorothy

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Roses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A Rose Bush Called Betty Boop Carol7 20 Jun 5, 2014 10:15 AM
Rose Hip/Seed Question Bloomer 7 Oct 23, 2009 10:35 PM
I Maimed my Zepherine Droughin Climber! :o( gardenwife 20 Jul 30, 2012 11:17 AM
Bayer Rose & Flower Care paulgrow 27 Sep 19, 2012 6:34 AM
Any such thing as a blue rose? discodancer4 11 Mar 7, 2010 11:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America