Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Tree?

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 9, Views: 90
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
TamTam
Blue Springs, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 29, 2003
12:48 AM

Post #522339

I always have these pop up all over my side garden - lllllong roots...just a weed, or a tree?

Thumbnail by TamTam
Click the image for an enlarged view.

dave

April 29, 2003
2:13 AM

Post #522416

It reminds me of hibiscus. The tree type, I can't recall exactly what it is called.
Brugie
Chariton, IA
(Zone 5b)

April 29, 2003
2:24 AM

Post #522434

Could they be Rose of Sharon seedlings?

Went back and looked at the leaves again, and I'm not so sure about ROS either. Will look at mine tomorrow and see if they have leafed out enough to tell. Seems like they have some lobing on them, but the memory doesn't last from year to year anymore.

This message was edited Monday, Apr 28th 10:27 PM
TamTam
Blue Springs, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 29, 2003
2:35 AM

Post #522441

Wow - thanks for answering!! I WISH it were hibiscus, I've tried a few times for hibiscus from seeds (I have an iguana and it's their favorite treat!!) but no luck. Thanks for checking the ROS for me, I sure haven't planted any, tho!! I think the jury is still out!! :) This is SO great to have help with these!!!
Brugie
Chariton, IA
(Zone 5b)

April 29, 2003
2:41 AM

Post #522447

If you don't have a ROS near by or haven't planted any seed, I'm sure there would not be volunteer seedlings nearby. I hope Dave is right and it is a Hibiscus, but generally they don't come up this soon in our zones and don't look woody to begin with either. I'm thinking more in the line of a tree of some kind.
dave

April 29, 2003
2:52 AM

Post #522454

Rose of Sharon - thanks Brugie! That was what I was trying to say. Uncle Blaine (Trish's uncle) had a bunch of these and he gave me several seedlings once. I'll try to dig up a picture of it.

Dave
dave

April 29, 2003
2:54 AM

Post #522455

Here you go:

http://davesgarden.com/j/si/39780

Your leaves and the stem look very much like my rose of sharon!

dave
Aimee
Georgetown, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 29, 2003
7:53 AM

Post #522561

This is a nice small tree or shrub, and I have the same one as Dave's. I also have some pink double ones I rooted. They root easily in water. But the deer keep eating those, so they haven't grown large like the ones inside the fence. I might have to move them in!

Birds eat the seeds all winter, and hummingbirds nectar all summer, as do butterflies and other insects. There are always a number of seedlings I need to move each spring, and I really regret that the deer don't allow me to plant them all along the fence near the highway. These will grow in full sun or shade. Don't plant them too close to the house, they can reach twelve feet in crown spread in just a few years.
tootsie
Bay City, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 29, 2003
10:55 AM

Post #522590

Last summer i purchased some ros trees at a local nursery. The tags were missing so the mgr. said i could have them for 20% off the price(who could pass up that deal?) so i got them in the car and drove out to the other house all the while thinking how great they would be overlooking the back garden area. I busily dug the holes, got the trees situated just right, filled in with good garden soil and watered and waited. Into the summer my babies bloomed and to my surprize two of them were double white, one dbl. pink, and one lavender!!A few days later i went back to see my pretties only to find these tree-like sticks, yep i never thought about the darling deer and how they like to dine on things like ros trees and such :(
Aimee
Georgetown, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 30, 2003
6:29 AM

Post #523298

Tootsie, I planted my pink ones in among salvia, and they didn't do as much damage as they did to the one standing alone. With such a long list of things deer won't eat, why is it that I always seem to want to plant their favorites, right out there where they are sure to indulge?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 21 Oct 14, 2014 11:43 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America