Amazing fuchsias

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

http://www2.dicom.se/fuchsias/thumbsindex.html

I am going to have to go awol from DG for awhile to view each of these fuscias and track down as many as I can! They are beautiful and do well in this area so I may be in luck! I do have a couple small fuscias now but the variety shown on that link are astounding and outstanding!
The first one on my wish list is Lorna Herchenson, a large flower that is white on white. Stunning!

This message was edited Tuesday, Apr 29th 2:41 PM

Grove City, OH(Zone 6a)

So, Zany, when you find them, you will propagate and SHARE won't you???? Hmmm???? Guess who is waiting in line!!!!!

*just camping out at my Post Office waiting for a piece of a Hardy Fuschia from Zany*

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

LOL You will need to wait awhile! I have to find them and then get the funds to buy them and then take cuttings but you bet you will be the first to get them!

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Oh Zany,

Have you seen this site? It has your fuchsia that you wanted and plenty more pretty ones. Did you know that this one is an upright, not a trailer? The prices are very reasonable I think.

http://www.deltafarm.com/product494.html

Donna

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

Nice link! I will have to check them out much more closely!

There was a fuscia show and plant sale in town Saturday but I had to work and missed it :~( But now I at least know there is a Fuscia association active here! So I can contact them for more information as well.

Lincoln City, OR(Zone 9a)

I would like to find some of the winter hardy fuscias. Have never found them here.

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

I am going to see if I can find any of the winter hardy types locally. If so I will pick them up and try to take cuttings since they root so easily. If I can't find them locally they will have to wait til next season when hopefully our finances will have recovered from that dibilitating flatinthewallet disease!

you mean co-opinthewallet disease don't you? I have that one.

Harrisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

I ordered several Fuchsias from Fuchsia Land.

http://www.fuchsialand.com/

The prices were not that bad. The plants are small.

This message was edited Sunday, May 18th 2:27 PM

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

ooohhh........I just took a peak. I wouldn't mind having one of any of these if anyone would have a cutting :)
Blue Mirage Trailer
Curtain Call Trailer
Dark Eyes Trailer (Hardy)
Drama Girl - Trailer
Deep Purple Trailer
Golden Anniversary - Trailer
Oriental Flame - Trailer
Santa Clara - Trailer (Hardy)
Army Nurse Upright
Little Beauty - Upright (Hardy)
Lord Byron - Upright (Hardy)

See what you started..........LOL

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

LOL! If you find them let me know!

Our Walmart store got in some pretty nice plants of Dark Eyes and several others. I didn't have this list with me tonight. I will try to check back tomorrow and list what they have here. The plants were $1.99 each. No tax either because they are in Oregon.

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

only $1.99? WOW, not at this WalMart :(

I did get this one today........paid $10 for it but just had to have one.........LOL

Thumbnail by flowox

Susan, That is very pretty. Do you know which one it is? I didn't get to town today and probably won't tomorrow either. Mom was ill so I needed to be with her.

Wal-mart had about 12 varities of fuschias. I haven't tried them at this house so I suppose I might buy one. If I can find the Dark Eyes one again that one may be mine to see if it can make a winter here. If it can make the summer even. Drip irrigation will be the only way I can get them to live here, I am sure. :)

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

Ponditis, I have no clue which one it is as our WalMart here doesn't have names on most of their stuff :(
I wanted one with a really dark eye but they didn't have any and this was the darkest one they had so I grabbed it :)

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

Well, I still don't have any that are winter hardy in cold climates to share but I did get two more that are hardy here today :~) I got VOODOO and Applause.I just put Voodoo in the PDB and will add Applause in a few minutes.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Zany you've opened up a can of worms here. I grew them in England and bemoan the fact that I haven't tried to grow them here yet. The hardy ones (and you are so lucky in your state) will die down in the winter, but after cutting back the old canes/stems they will quickly put on amazing growth. Buy one and you will be hooked, you will always want them!! Like roses!! Well almost!!

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

LOL They do add a lot of color and interest to the shadier areas of the garden and the Hummers just love them. But you are right about my being lucky here where almost all of them are hardy with litle or no extra care :~)

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

OK then - you are going AWOL I take it!! Don't stay away too long!! :-)

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

AWOL? Who's going AWOL?

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

You said you would be - in your first post to this thread!! lol!!

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

HA! Another senior moment! Actually I have been scouring the internet looking at all the thousands of fuchsias out there and trying to ID the few I have. So far I have 4 out of 6 identified with only 2 to go...until I get the money to buy more that is!

Space being limited I am trying to stay with the smaller forms that can hang in baskets or pots for years. But there are so many that I want the all!

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Speaking of small spaces and yours is lovely - don't forget you can grow them as standards (tree form). There is a method to this but not hard to do!! Also, for us poor folk who don't have such temperate climates, they can be grown in pots and taken in for the winter. A neighbour of mine used to do that all the time, especially with her standards and she had a great show every year. I believe she just put them in her garage!!

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I had NO idea there were so many fuchsias! Thanks for the thread.

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

I had forgotten the standards! Yikes! That opens up even more possibilities!

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

lol!! Sorry!!

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

I have 2 beautiful hardy fuchsias in my front yard. How do I propagate them for my side yard? Here in southwestern Washington state mine are just few feet up now.

Zany, I will send this Dark Eyes trailer with your pond plants if you want it. It is small (three inch pot) but a nice plant. Hope to get DH into the pond tomorrow for a spell and get out a few trades. I'll let you know when we ship them so you can be ready for them.

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

Pond, that would be wonderful! Thanks!!!

anastatia. take stem cuttings of this years wood about 6-8 inches long. Pinch off any flower buds and all but a couple os leafs and poke it into a pot of dirt. Keep it moist and in a shady place out of direct sunlight. Some will root in 2-3 weeks and others may take 3-6 weeks so be patient.

Cicero, NY(Zone 5a)

OK,I have a question. I have one I over wintered in the GH,its got real long woody branches(not many ) and it completly bare near the pot,the ends of the branches have leaves and flowers....

can I cut it back to try to get some bushyness?Worried since its all woody at the base,that nothing will grow back......and yes I can root the cuttings but I don't want to kill the mama plant......

The others I wintered over stayed bushy.......

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

I have cut them back to a couple of inches when they get too scragly and woody and they come back healthier and pretier than ever. Just keep watering the "stump" and it will indeed send up fresh new growth.

Woodburn, OR(Zone 8a)

a cashier at the local wal-mart noticed all the garden stuff in my cart, and we started to talk, she has a huge fuschia greenhouse, she sells them at the neighborhood Farmer's market every saturday, If I remember correctly, she said she has over 100 upright varieties, I'll have to track her down next weekend and see if she has a list of varieties and prices. Ya never know, could turn out to be a good thing!

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

I just found out there is a nursery here that specializes in Fuchsias too! But they are about 2 hours to the north and are closed Mondays and Tuesdays which are my days off :~(

Cicero, NY(Zone 5a)

I smell co-op!

Olathe, KS(Zone 6a)

Carena--boy I'd be interested in getting some plants if you do a coop!! I'm really wanting 3 varieties primarily. 'Baby Blue Eyes', 'Flying Cloud' and/or 'White Fairy'. If she has them let me know!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I'm looking at a few fucshias too. Joy Creek Nursery has them and I've been very pleased with their products.
http://www.joycreek.com/

I've also found a lot on another site that I have never ordered from
http://www.fuchsias.net/index.html

There is a site - with folks who have a lot of top ten lists.
http://www2.dicom.se/fuchsias/toptenlists.html

The names I hear over and over again for uprights on these lists are 'Checkerboard', 'Royal Velvet', Voodoo, Celia Smedley, Mrs. Lovell Swisher (which is supposed to be "too easy" and sun tolerant), Caramel Blue, Mrs. Popple.

I didn't collect the drapers because I wasn't looking for them. But now you can do it yourselves. "Swingtime", "Pink Marshmallow" are two.

Happy hunting. Both will ship now.

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

I was out nursery hopping last week when I saw my first hardy fuchsias.I never knew existed! I got into a conversation with one of the foks and they said that the learned that you can plant any fuchsia 4" deeper than you normal would and mulch it good in the fall and it will come back. The women did and she showed my her plant. It was small, but alive and it was going to bloom. So I think I am going to try it this fall with one of my plants. I figure I have nothing to loose.
Has anyone else heard of doing this or done it?
S

Freedom, CA(Zone 9b)

Yes, I have! In fact I just proved to a friend of mine who was certain his fuchsia had been destroyed by a hard winter, that it had in fact, already grown almost a foot! He just couldn't see it because of all the dead wood still there and all of the leather ferns growing around it's base.
You are correct, the trick is to plant them deep, covering up a good portion of the stems. As each node on a stem below the surface can then produce new shoots in the spring.
I only grow upright hardy fuchsias, and currently have a collection of 60. I hope to have 100 by the end of this summer. My garden is a hummingbird heaven zone!!
This is one of my favorite uprights, Duchess of Albany. I will try a post a photo of the entire bush soon. It is about four feet tall and covered with flowers right now. I keep this one right outside my front door!

Thumbnail by PedricksCorner
Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Beautiful picture!! I'm going to share this link with my buddies in the Pacific NW forum. I lost hard fuchsias this winter and I treat fuchsias as annuals because I don't have room to store them for the winter. But now . . .

Freedom, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks Katie! I am hoping we can get a Fuchsia forum started here! The only way they will do that though, is if we can get enough people talking about fuchsia's and asking for one. It took a while just to get them to add the fuchsia category under Plant Files ;-)
So I am going to try and post to a variety of forums here on a regular basis and see if we can't get our own forum going! What do you think?
Here is a photo of another one of my favorite, Vinegar Joe. Although the big puffy blossoms can be stunning, my heart will always prefer the smaller simple singles :-)

Thumbnail by PedricksCorner

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images