Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Container Gardening: Peanuts!

Communities > Forums > Container Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Container GardeningReplies: 22, Views: 517
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

rootdoctor

rootdoctor
Harrisville, MI
(Zone 5b)

April 30, 2003
1:06 AM

Post #523107

I'm sneaking in here Adam,LOL,I planted my pots with peanuts today,we'll see how they do in my compost.

Thumbnail by rootdoctor
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 30, 2003
2:25 AM

Post #523165

Hi Root!
How many peanuts will you get from those 2 pots? I was just munching on Chinese peanuts...done with roasted garlic. YUM!

rootdoctor

rootdoctor
Harrisville, MI
(Zone 5b)

April 30, 2003
2:39 AM

Post #523178

Don't really know Kell girl,this is my first try at them,I want to do them in big pots, so when it is time to dig them,all I need to do is dump them over,CC has some going also.They germinated like gangbusters.
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

April 30, 2003
2:42 AM

Post #523183

Bob... where do u get those peanuts for planting? would appreciate if u can recommend a site. thx dear friend :)!

Kell.. it is easy to make those what u called Chinese peanuts. buy the raw, peeled peanuts in the Chinese store. heat up some peanut oil. once oil is hot, add the peanuts. watch carefully cause the peanuts will turn color real quick. once u see it lightly browned like tannish in color, add as much whole smash garlic cloves. turn off the fire of the stove. the heat in the oil will cook the peanut and the garlic. place peanut in a sieve over a bowl to get rid of excess oil.if u wish, u can spread several pages of newspaper, place brown paper bag over the newspaper and paper towel over the brown bag... to facilitate taking off excess oil. sprinkle salt lightly. enjoy!!!! i make my own all the time.
flowox
Newark, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 30, 2003
3:31 AM

Post #523226

I'm curious as to where you got peanuts to plant too. I would love to try those also. LMK

rootdoctor

rootdoctor
Harrisville, MI
(Zone 5b)

April 30, 2003
3:50 AM

Post #523239

I caught this thread.http://davesgarden.com/t/374570/peanuts
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

April 30, 2003
4:11 AM

Post #523248

that is odd Bob... u growing them in container. far as memory serves me right, peanuts are grown like potatoes. as the plant grow, they are covered with more dirt. that is how i remember ex father in law used to do it. just like in this url http://www.troycable.net/~aquarius/peanut.html

edited to add another link http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortnews/1997/5-2-1997/peanuts.html

This message was edited Wednesday, Apr 30th 12:18 AM

rootdoctor

rootdoctor
Harrisville, MI
(Zone 5b)

April 30, 2003
4:43 AM

Post #523261

This is from your second link MaVae
The flowering and fruiting of peanuts are unique. Plants flower above ground, but the pods develop below ground. Peanut plants begin to bloom about 30 to 40 days after emergence. The flowers are small, bright yellow, and pea-like in appearance. After pollination and fertilization occurs, the stalk (peg) below the fertilized ovary elongates and curves downward. It takes about 10 days for the peg to penetrate into the soil. A week after soil penetration, the peg tip enlarges and pod and seed development begin. The fruit mature in 9 to 10 weeks with favorable temperatures and moisture conditions. Since the peanut plant flowers over several weeks, all the pods do not mature at the same time.

Great sites,I will study them more,Thanks.

This message was edited Wednesday, Apr 30th 12:44 AM
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

April 30, 2003
5:42 AM

Post #523285

my pleasure Bob :)... one of the main reasons why i prefer to research to learn more about specific plant/s.

crestedchik

crestedchik
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 4, 2003
2:04 AM

Post #524564

Nice plants there Root!

My sumatras tried to dig mine out of the container today...
Sparks42
Lexington, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 5, 2003
11:17 AM

Post #525048

How many of you are familiar with boiled green peanuts? I was introduced to them here in the south and have learned to love them. I have been able to get green peanuts at the farmers market and boil them myself. They are goooooood.

Sparks

rootdoctor

rootdoctor
Harrisville, MI
(Zone 5b)

May 6, 2003
2:13 PM

Post #525605

Hey Gene,If you want to do some laughing,check out this thread.http://davesgarden.com/t/369107/

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 6, 2003
3:25 PM

Post #525634

Gee, I can get freshly dug peanuts at the farmers' market here later in the summer. They are small ones usually, they have tables of them. They usually are still damp but not green as I recall. But freshly dug. Will these work?

I have never heard of eating them wet and soft. My DH is addicted to roasted nuts, I wonder if he would like these?

After reading that whole New Years thread I can't wait to try cooking them!
Sparks42
Lexington, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 6, 2003
3:56 PM

Post #525647

Kell, the term green peanuts does not mean they are green in color, they just aren't fully ripe. I have never heard of eating the shell and all but I guess I am going to have to try it. They do have them at our farmers market now, got some a week ago and were they good! Yum I put them in a pot with plenty of water to cover them and a lot of salt, simmer for about two hours.

I also have some canned green peanuts but they are large and I think close to full maturity, don't like them nearly as well as the fresh, small, and damp green ones like you saw Kell at the farmer's market.

Bob, doggone it, I sent you an e-mail two nights ago cause I was concerned whether or not you got caught in the tornado damage but you never answered and now I find you must be okay becuase of the date of your posting.

Sparks/Gene

rootdoctor

rootdoctor
Harrisville, MI
(Zone 5b)

May 6, 2003
6:58 PM

Post #525699

I'm fine here Gene,Try my other address,I seem to be not receiving mail,Lupi said she mailed me too,I never got it,You have my RR.com addy I think.
flowox
Newark, OH
(Zone 5a)

May 6, 2003
7:19 PM

Post #525706

I'm still curious as to where to get the peanuts to plant :)
Sparks42
Lexington, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 6, 2003
8:17 PM

Post #525738

Bob, don't have your RR address. Also wanted to let you know that this weekend my daughter that lives in Hillsboror OR, will go down to the Maritime Museum and get the darned books. Haven't bothered her about it before because she has 7 children and home schools plus her hubby is gone everyother week.

Sparks/Gene
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 26, 2003
10:25 PM

Post #537903

oh my, I just stumbled in here, but you DON'T eat the shell. When we boil them, we still shell them afterwards. You WON'T like the shell, it will always be horrid.
Sparks42
Lexington, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2003
11:45 PM

Post #537964

Flox,

The first time I grew peanuts I just got some raw peanuts from the grocery store and planted those. They did fine.

I haven't grown any for qutie some time but think I will give it another try, curious about trying a very few in a container, putting the peanut on top of the earth and then covering with my leaf mulch like I did a potato which is working great. I just like to experiment.

Sparks
Lavanda
Mcallen, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 29, 2003
6:44 PM

Post #540289

Books? Did you say books? I saw whre you are a writer?
Sparks42
Lexington, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 29, 2003
6:54 PM

Post #540306

No Lav, I am not a writer. There is a book about a sailing ship I was on and the last chapter was written primarily by me. Bob, daughter said she had had trouble with parcel post and to wait a little longer but nothing, I am embarrased becuase of the time it is taking and very frustrated.

Sparks

rootdoctor

rootdoctor
Harrisville, MI
(Zone 5b)

May 31, 2003
12:35 PM

Post #541780

Not to worry Gene,seems by I get in the house all I can do is shower and hit the hay,will be glad when it is time to sit and water,maybe pull the odd weed out,broke my ole tiller yesterday,just the pull cord,may not be too easy to fix,I think it is a 1950 monkey ward,very old.
hope all is well with you.
Bob

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

June 8, 2003
2:46 AM

Post #549273

They sell seed peanuts at our county co-op,or farm store.I think there are two varieties if memory serves me correctly.

If anyone wants some ,I could do them for postage,but we'd need to be quick,as the season is getting shorter.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Container Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Growing tomatoes upside down BittysGarden 112 Jul 19, 2009 5:51 AM
Raspberry Plants in Containers MummyOF4dolls 23 Mar 27, 2012 4:00 PM
Flower Pouches? nathalyn 80 Sep 11, 2008 10:49 PM
Growin' bags kwells 53 Aug 24, 2008 3:12 PM
How to make papercrete containers. Tomtom 424 Oct 13, 2014 10:48 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America