Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Garden Talk: no tiller

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 8, Views: 135
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tiedyedtc
Randleman, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 18, 2001
12:16 AM

Post #613

Hey everybody, I have a problem, I have no tiller to tear the garden up with. Any ideas on how to break up th ground without one,been doing it my hand with a hoe but it is so much tougher with this ground. I don't know anybody to borrow one from and can't afford to buy one right now,Has anybody tried the claw thing they use to advertise on tv?
Thanks,Teresa:)
Brook
Richmond, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 18, 2001
1:13 AM

Post #47819

Tillers are one of the most common items available in those rent-all places. You usually can get one by the day for relatively little money. Once the heavy work is done with the rented tiller, hand work becomes pretty easy.
chris

(Zone 6a)

January 18, 2001
2:00 AM

Post #47820

I have a claw. I bought it after I hurt my back at work and still wanted to play in the dirt. It worked ok with my fairly lose dirt but don't know about on new ground.

Try the lasagna method this is how I prepare all my new beds. You take either cardboard or several layers of newspaper and cover the ground grass weeds and all( I Smothered out poision Ivy with it. Then layer peat and compost or bags of topsoil or whatever you have in layers and then plant in it.I did this last spring and planted annuals and then turned the whole thing in the fall and it was so easy.
lantana

(Zone 7a)

January 18, 2001
9:24 AM

Post #47836

That "lasagna" method is a good idea...I do it but I didn't know what it was called. In spring, I pull it back where I want to plant and hand turn with a spading fork. One problem I have with the "layering" is slugs, snails, pillbugs, and cutworms. They love to live under that damp stuff. Diatamaceous earth is good for control. However, I've been working my garden area for years now so the ground is easy to work. I hire someone to come in with their Kobota tractor tiller and till up new areas that I want to start working...he usually charges me about $30 for it. Once that's done, I can usually work the area myself. My husband bought me a Mantis last fall and I can't wait for the ground to dry enough to get out there with that. I think it's going to be great for edging beds and keeping grass out of areas I don't want it in. But my greatest tool, the one I cannot do without, is the spading fork. Get a good one (forged, not welded). I like the diamond shaped tines rather than the flat ones...it just digs better.
tiedyedtc
Randleman, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 18, 2001
10:49 AM

Post #47837

Thank you for the tips! I had never thought about renting a tiller! Wow! And the lasagna idea is great! Can't wait to hit the dirt!
mamakane
Valley Head, WV
(Zone 5a)

January 18, 2001
3:08 PM

Post #47884

I use the lasagna method too! I use it in my raised beds. Instead of digging out the sod, I layer the cardboard then fill up the bed with lots of rotted compost and some dirt.

If you are in a rural area and want a large area tilled up check with some of the farmers, or at the feed store for who might be available with their tractors, plows, and disks. We have several that make a side business of it in the spring.
libby
Plainville, MA

January 18, 2001
4:44 PM

Post #47905

lantana, can i ask how much the mantis costs? been seeing them, wondering... thanks
lantana

(Zone 7a)

January 18, 2001
9:20 PM

Post #47934

I trhink it was around $350-$400. My husband bought it, so I wasn't paying that much attention...but I think that's what he said. You can probably find out on their website.
Pauline
Pittsburgh, PA
(Zone 5a)

January 19, 2001
3:52 PM

Post #48032

I had a large garden and a neighbor let me borrow a Mantis two years ago. Amazing what this litle machine can do. So I bought a identical machine, it's from Echo. Same thing but cost less. For new area, I do the Lasagna method and since I have free woodships, I top the area with 3 to 4 inches of that. The year after, I work the bed with the Echo machine. I plant and top again with new mulch. Work great for me.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America