-
AuthorContent
discodancer4
Eyota, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 25, 2001
2:39 PM

Post #5372

I don't know much about roses at all, but would like to start growing them. Is there such a things as a true blue rose? Doesn anyone have a cutting or seeds they would like to share with a beginner? Also, if there is such a thing as a blue rose - what is the real name of it?

Thanks for you help!
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 25, 2001
4:27 PM

Post #77163

There is no such thing as a blue rose. The gene for blue is missing in the rose family. Genetic research is being done however and researchers have been trying for years to create a blue rose. There are roses available such as "Blue Girl" that have a bluish cast to them they look lavender in color.
I have no cuttings right now but should be able to post some in a few months when I begin pruning.
Happy Gardening!
Jenta
Cuyahoga Falls, OH

July 18, 2007
6:33 PM

Post #3751064

Here is a picture of my first "Blue Girl" rose. It's pink/lavender with a bluish cast, but I'm not thrilled with the petal configuration. Also this rose is a very tall species. It's at about 7 ft right now. Is it ok to cut it back or should I wait?

Thumbnail by Jenta
Click the image for an enlarged view.

pegdog
Winchester, VA
(Zone 6a)

July 18, 2007
6:41 PM

Post #3751087

discodancer4, here are some "blue" roses ... as close as they get. Same for "black" ones, no real black but super dark purples.

Blues: Blue girl, Blue River, Blue Fairy, Blue Dawn, Blue for You... etc. Here's a great search link - http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/pl.php?n=18130
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 18, 2007
7:02 PM

Post #3751167

You can cut it back now, it's not going to harm it. It will slow down the rebloom if you choose to cut back now.
I often sort of prune and deadhead at the same time to keep some of my big roses under control.
cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM
(Zone 7b)

July 18, 2007
7:08 PM

Post #3751206

I do the same thing as Dovey. I am 5'3" and some of my roses will often get 8 ft. if I don't keep them cut back. I cut those way down in the winter but they sure shoot up regardless!
EllaTiarella
Portage, MI
(Zone 5b)

June 23, 2008
1:34 PM

Post #5146439

Take a look at
Rhapsody In Blue
Royal Amethyst
Wild Blue Yonder
todgor
West Caldwell, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 23, 2008
4:14 PM

Post #5147143

Soon we may have a genetically engineered one. I don't think the current version looks any bluer than the one above though:

http://inventorspot.com/articles/true_blue_roses_be_sold_first_ja_10477

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

June 23, 2008
4:58 PM

Post #5147400

If you believe eBay, there is a 'blue' rose! Can you say "Photoshop"?!!
pegdog
Winchester, VA
(Zone 6a)

June 23, 2008
6:37 PM

Post #5147947

tod, I've seen that rose. doesn't look actually blue to me.
Melissande
Chillicothe, OH

June 24, 2008
2:35 AM

Post #5150330

Photoshop, yes. A good practice when looking at pictures in catalogs etc., is compare the background and foliage. You can usually tell when someone's been monkeying around with the picture in order to highlight the 'blue' in the rose's color.

If you're new to roses you need to get a little pamphlet or book (perhaps from the library or perhaps the racks at Lowes or similar) because roses are a bit different from most plants. Being a good general gardener doesn't necessarily equip you to do justice to roses.

Not that they're impossible or difficult, but because there are little but important differences you need to learn about.

Melis
SilverTigris
Cocoa, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 7, 2010
11:06 PM

Post #7612287

There are blue roses but their is no such thing as a TRUE blue rose in nature as the color blue is non-existent in the rose bush/tree family. At least that is what has been said in every article of research I've been able to find on the truth about "blue" roses. You would think that since purple is a viable color in roses that blue would be too but for some reason that is the 1 color roses cannot be found. All the roses that you see in photos that are "blue" are either Photoshopped exaggerations or are cut roses that were put in a vase of water containing blue food dye.

I'll search around and see if I can find the scientific article that I read about roses and why there are not any true blue roses only roses being called blue when they are really a purple, lilac or lavender. In the mean time I hope this helps :)

This message was edited Mar 8, 2010 3:24 AM

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Roses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A Rose Bush Called Betty Boop Carol7 18 May 26, 2010 10:56 AM
Rose Hip/Seed Question Bloomer 7 Oct 23, 2009 10:35 PM
I Maimed my Zepherine Droughin Climber! :o( gardenwife 20 Jul 30, 2012 11:17 AM
Bayer Rose & Flower Care paulgrow 27 Sep 19, 2012 6:34 AM
Kathleen louisa 3 Feb 27, 2008 12:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America