Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Insect and Spider Identification: SOLVED: Scorpion

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 23, Views: 489
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dave

May 29, 2003
1:24 PM

Post #539969

Here's a little scorpion. We find one of these about once every month. They are about 3 inches long (including tail) and, as far as I know, they've never bothered us. The cats tend to kill them and then leave them for us to find.

Does anyone know the species?

Dave

Thumbnail by dave
Click the image for an enlarged view.

dave

May 29, 2003
1:26 PM

Post #539971

Here's a closeup of the bug.

Dave

Thumbnail by dave
Click the image for an enlarged view.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

May 29, 2003
1:28 PM

Post #539974

EEEEK! I'd just die!That's the stuff that my nightmares consist of. Y'all are tougher than me. Sorry I can't help with the ID.
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

May 29, 2003
1:48 PM

Post #539991

I have no idea but I got stung by one once and it hurt like heck but I lived!
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 29, 2003
1:57 PM

Post #539997

okay, I'll take my copperheads!!!! that would scare me out of gardening!
dave

May 29, 2003
2:07 PM

Post #540003

copperhead! I'd take an army of scorpions over a single copperhead (or any other snake, for that matter!) :)

Actually, I read that there are over a hundred species of scorpions in Texas, but only 3 are poisonous (and even then, not all three of those are deadly).

I hope to find out if we have a deadly enemy here, or an interesting spider to enjoy. :)

Dave
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 29, 2003
2:21 PM

Post #540021

yes, but at least copperheads are big enough that you can usually (I say that very loosely!!) see them!! that little booger would be up my pants leg in no time!! even if he wasn't poisonous, he'd scare me to death! LOL!!!
BuriedTreasures
Valrico, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 29, 2003
2:39 PM

Post #540041

Coral snakes and Black widows seem to be the most common gardening danger for me. I usually come across at least one coral per year, and 2 or 3 black widows.
dave

May 29, 2003
2:48 PM

Post #540052

We have a lot of black widows here; I killed one just yesterday, in fact. Often we give them to the chickens. :)

Maybe I should move this thread to the pests forum. :)

Dave
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 29, 2003
3:07 PM

Post #540074

sorry dave, I know you're trying to get it IDed. :}
windsurffer

(Zone 5a)

May 29, 2003
3:31 PM

Post #540094

Dave if I ever found one of those in my garden I would have to change my clothes first I would think it and then do it while stopping it at the same time, they make my flesh crawl. I take my hat off to you your one brave dude.

Could this be the same one? http://wrbu.si.edu/www/stockwell/photos/v_globosus.jpg
If it is it is called vaejovis globosus borelli.

This message was edited Thursday, May 29th 11:55 AM
Debby
Milo, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 30, 2003
2:46 AM

Post #540688

Oh, no--no way. I'll take my cold winters now gladly. Scorpions, black widow spiders, copperheads. Dave, is that thing in your house.
dave

May 30, 2003
3:36 AM

Post #540734

Sure are (the scorpions, anyway)! They don't seem to bother us. Trish doesn't care for them, but she also doesn't go nuts, jumping up on chairs as one (including me) might do if a mouse was in the room. Said scorpion above was alive during this picture session, and still alive as it was on its way down the toilet.

We've found all of the black widows on the back porch, except for one, which was in the chicken coop. As soon as I knocked that one down, the chickens went after it like a child to an open box of pizza!

Copperheads- don't walk in the tall grass, and if you accidentally step on one (as I did just the other day) your reflexes will cause you to jump 10 feet high and you'll be out of danger before you knew you stepped on it.

It's all a very small price to pay to live in the best country on earth. ;-)

Dave
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 30, 2003
3:37 AM

Post #540737

amen brother! as long as those things are in your part of it:)
violabird
Barnesville, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 30, 2003
4:09 AM

Post #540759

Guess it's true.

Everything's bigger in Texas!
windsurffer

(Zone 5a)

May 30, 2003
4:43 AM

Post #540782

Dave did you check the hyper link I posted above, I was just wondering if that was it?
dave

May 30, 2003
12:15 PM

Post #540963

wind: I hadn't seen your hyperlink, since you edited it in (my skip to new skipped right over your extra content).

I don't think that's it. On mine, the tail is thinnner, the head is compltely different, and mine has markings on the back where this one pictured in the hyperlink doesn't.

dave
Chamma
Tennille, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 30, 2003
2:05 PM

Post #541045

Dave, we have two types of scorpions here...one is big and black and not deadly and the other is probably 2-3 inches fully grown, sand-colored and deadly!!!!
dave

May 30, 2003
2:38 PM

Post #541062

I have an ID! I'm positive that this is the Striped Bark Scorpion, the most common scorpion in Texas.

From Texas A&M:

The common, striped bark scorpion has two broad, black stripes running the length of its back. Populations in the Big Bend may be only faintly marked or completely pale. The basic color of the scorpion varies from yellow to tan in adults. Immature scorpions may be lighter in color. There is a dark triangular mark on the front of the head above the eyes. In young scorpions, the base of the pedipalps and the last segment behind the abdomen is dark brown or black. This species can be easily identified by slender pedipalps (pincer-bearing arms) and the long, slender tail. The tail is longer on males than females.

The striped bark scorpion apparently mates in the fall, spring or early summer. Gestation requires about 8 months. Litter size varies from 13 to 47. The average is about 31 young per litter.

Immature scorpions molt within 3 to 7 days after birth and remain on the mother for another 3 to 7 days after that. There are five or six molts to maturity. A striped bark scorpion probably lives for approximately 4 years.

The sting of this species causes local pain and swelling. Deaths attributed to this species have not been substantiated.

The striped bark scorpion is often found under rocks, under boards and in debris. It can be found indoors or outdoors in a wide variety of habitats (pine forests in East Texas; rocky slopes, grasslands, juniper breaks in other parts of the state). Centruroides are active foragers that do not burrow. They are distinctly associated with dead vegetation, fallen logs and human dwellings. It is common for them to climb trees and walls, and many times have been found in the attics of homes. During periods of hot weather, scorpions may move into living areas to escape the high temperatures in attics.
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 30, 2003
2:53 PM

Post #541073

glad to know it's not lethal!!!
windsurffer

(Zone 5a)

May 30, 2003
3:33 PM

Post #541109

I am glad that you found out what it was, the one above was from Texas as well that's the only one I found that came close to looking like your.
debi_z
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 31, 2003
6:17 PM

Post #542010

my ex-husband asked me if i minded having a scorpion and a black widow spider move into our home. in a tank of course. i said "NO" and then the next day he brought them home and thought my reaction of sheer terror was funny. anyone wonder why he is my "ex"-husband?
Aimee
Georgetown, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 2, 2003
5:00 AM

Post #543292

A couple of years ago, I was killing about ten a day of these little beauties, almost all inside the house and frequently crawling on the walls. Finally, one decided to crawl into my bed. I was still bald from chemo, and in a good deal of pain most of the time. Somehow, I managed to roll over in my drugged sleep, right on top of the critter, and was promptly shown the error of my ways as it stung fast and hard. Oh, the indignation I felt! I was awake instantly, of course, and spent the rest of the night afraid to go to sleep or move around. Because there is a local belief that they travel in pairs, I was tormented by the thought of a second sting.

After killing dozens of them, I decided it was way too much to live with, the constant worry about the grands being stung. One night a huge one went scooting across the floor and straight toward a granddaughter. Her mother still laughs about how fast I was suddenly able to move, weakened condition notwithstanding. Slapped a big tennis-shod foot splat on top of the demon. The next day, I called an exterminator. I had been reluctant to do so, thinking of the chemicals so soon after the cancer incident.

Want to know what he did? Sprayed loads of boric acid all over my attic. It worked great, for almost two years. This year they are back, though not in such huge numbers - yet. I will put out boric acid soon!

I have heard that the scorpion is a distant cousin to the lobster. Too lazy to look it up, does anyone know?

Dave, if your guests should happen to sting one of your family, benadryl is a good way to minimize the possible allergic effects. There isn't a lot of pain most of the time, but sometimes it will return in a few hours and keep you awake.
desert_rose
Dripping Springs, TX

June 2, 2003
4:17 PM

Post #543637

Dave--I find the scorpians usually at night. They hang out on my ceilings--Mostly in the rooms with rock/tile on the walls. Last summer I killed over twenty in one night--I was up until about 4am. I think it was July/August. Have you walked outside late at night and shined a flashlight on your walls? ugh! I just shake out everything and watch where I put exsposed skin. I have a special light I shine on the walls--uv/black can't remember--the scorpians glow alittle. Wait until you find one with all the babies on the back of it. I had to take a bath after that one.

Aimee- I have boric acid in my insulation in the attic and walls. And I added pyrethrin in the walls too. I still get scorpians. They now have DE and pyrethins together and it is suppose to help. I guess the DE cuts the hard body and the pyrethrin poisons it. The things can flaten out like a mouse and go thru the smallest of cracks. I morter and caulk everything now--and put copper scrubby pad pieces in your weep holes.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 26 Apr 26, 2014 7:18 AM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America