Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Insect and Spider Identification: SOLVED: I never saw this larvae before..... could it be ladybug eggs

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 4, Views: 104
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 8, 2003
2:54 AM

Post #549281

I found it on the underside of a brugmansia leave. I hate to flush it if they are good but I fear they are evil!

Thumbnail by Kell
Click the image for an enlarged view.

flowox
Newark, OH
(Zone 5a)

June 8, 2003
3:00 AM

Post #549285

how very strange...it'd be kinda cool if it were ladybugs, wouldn't it? I hope someone knows
MOLLYBEE
Villa Rica, GA
(Zone 7a)

June 8, 2003
3:05 AM

Post #549289

When tryng to identify ladybug eggs, look for tiny, yellow, oval-shaped eggs that are laid upright in small clusters of 10-50. You can often find them on the underside of leaves. Ladybug larvae are somewhat flattened and elongated. They are covered with tiny spines and have large, sickle-shaped jaws. They will be blue-black in color and covered with orange spots. When you find ladybug eggs, larvae, or adults, it is important to use selective pesticides--if at all--so that you will not destroy one of nature's best forms of natural pest control.

This was taken from this web page
http://www.backyardbird.com/ladybugs.html

Hope this helps.
MOLLYBEE
Villa Rica, GA
(Zone 7a)

June 8, 2003
3:08 AM

Post #549293

I'd say the eggs in your pic are not Ladybugs at all!
I'd get rid of 'em!!

Not saying I know for sure what you have there, but it kinda looks like the eggs that hatch out to be those tiny green worms. They get on my hibiscus all the time, and I'm thinking that pic looks a whole lot like the ones I've killed.
MOLLYBEE
Villa Rica, GA
(Zone 7a)

June 8, 2003
3:11 AM

Post #549298

Better yet check out this site. This will show you exactly what they look like.
http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/gl_diseases_pests_insects/article/0,,HGTV_3580_1385349,00.html

I couldn't help but go over and start a new thread in the General Diss, about this very same thing. Using the same link, I hope everyone learns what the good bugs look like :)

Sorry about soo many post here LOL

This message was edited Saturday, Jun 7th 11:21 PM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 26 Apr 26, 2014 7:18 AM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America