Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: STILL Can't Figure THIS one out!

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 10, Views: 210
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
LouisianaSweetPea
Mount Hermon, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 8, 2003
8:35 PM

Post #549862

During the 'winter' this past year, I didn't stir out into the garden even once. On my first foray into the back yard after Spring arrived, I found that this monster had grown up near our shed.

I have no idea where it came from or what it is. I do not see any buds or blooms, just nice leaves. It puzzles me how something like this could have grown so quickly.

Isn't that just the way? If I had planted it and cared for it, this little tree-looking thing would probably have fried in the late days of Summer or croaked during one of the rare freezes here. And if it survived and thrived, then it must be in the "attractive weeds" family. LOL.

Can anyone help identify this thing? Thank you.

-- JEAN

Thumbnail by LouisianaSweetPea
Click the image for an enlarged view.

LouisianaSweetPea
Mount Hermon, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 8, 2003
8:37 PM

Post #549863

Here is a picture of one of its branches. -- JEAN

LouisianaSweetPea
Mount Hermon, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 8, 2003
8:40 PM

Post #549864

And a picture of its leaves. -- JEAN

Ulrich
Manhattan Beach, CA
(Zone 11)

June 8, 2003
10:02 PM

Post #549925

Poplar?

rootdoctor

rootdoctor
Harrisville, MI
(Zone 5b)

June 8, 2003
10:59 PM

Post #549955

Looks like a type of Basswood to me.
LouisianaSweetPea
Mount Hermon, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 26, 2003
1:17 AM

Post #566141

I finally got an ID for this tree-thing.

I wrote to Dan Gill, a local authority on plants, and he identified it as a Mulberry tree. I hope it is the kind that makes fruit (mulberries make good pies).

Mr. Gill also implied that I must be blind, as it would have been impossible for this tree to spring up out of the ground over winter. LOL. It was probably there and perhaps I missed it.

Just glad to know what it is. -- Jean

Chamma
Tennille, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 28, 2003
6:28 PM

Post #568545

I have mulberries here in my garden and they grow very quickly!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 28, 2003
9:21 PM

Post #568624

I kept getting the most annoying shrubby things and they were identified here as mulberry. Well, I had never seen anything with berries. Alas this summer we have found berries all over the yard that I first thought were raspberries. The culprit is right in my next door neighbors yard, hidden in a locust patch. Gee! And you know what, they spring up out of nowhere.
LouisianaSweetPea
Mount Hermon, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 28, 2003
9:34 PM

Post #568637

Perhaps a bird dropped a seed in my garden because I know I certainly didn't plant it. But since it is growing so nicely, it can stay. And DH is pleased that he didn't even have to dig a big hole to plant this one :)

At my old place, my neighbor had a big mulberry tree that hung over our fence and dropped berries all over our patio.

Another neighbor would get really irate and complain about the purple stains, but I just bought a cheap shower curtain and spread it out and collected all the berries I could.

Then I gave them to a co-worker who knew about mulberries (I had never seen one before) and she gave me several pies that she had made. What a deal! They were delicious!

So I have my shower curtain all ready, just in case. LOL.
rutholive
Tonasket, WA
(Zone 5a)

June 29, 2003
11:42 PM

Post #569471

Oh LouisaianaSweetPea, that is so funny, your shower curtain and the mulberry pies. I had a mulberry tree at my other place and loved them. I planted it to try to keep some of the birds out of my cherries. Didn't work they just had more to eat. i planted one here just because i like the berries, had blooms this year but none stayed on the small tree. Donna
LouisianaSweetPea
Mount Hermon, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 30, 2003
3:41 AM

Post #569745

The birds! I forgot about the birds! There probably won't be any fruit to drop anywhere because of those big vulture-mouths!

Every year, they swipe all of my figs and strawberries and eat all of my sunflowers' seeds. I had to fight them for the peaches, and thank goodness they don't like lemons. They will be happy that there is something else for them to attack. LOL.

Donna, you are so lucky that you can grow cherries there. It doesn't get cold enough here, so we have to rely on bland-tasting, store-bought ones that are imported for a very brief time. I'm still looking for a low-chill cherry tree though!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America