-
AuthorContent
Angel
Boonville, MO
(Zone 5a)

May 26, 2001
1:01 AM

Post #5399

I have this very pretty rose that is a small shrub, about 18" high and has a nice spread. It is a 1"-1.5" semi-double (only two layers of petals), cupped bloom that is white in the center and is from a light pink to magenta all on the same plant and stem. It is a multiflora. I was told today it is a 'Seven Sisters'. I did a search on Seven Sisters and it is typically portrayed as climbing rambler. This is definately a small shrub. The rest of the description fit however with the exception that every pic I saw a a full double.

It actually looks to me like 'Escapade' but with blooms just half the size.

Can anyone confirm or deny it's identity from that description?
sunflower
Olive Branch, MS
(Zone 7b)

May 26, 2001
2:34 AM

Post #77323

You're right in assuming that your isn't Seven Sisters. That's a big monster rose, and is once blooming. How do you know yours is a "multiflora" Is it once blooming? If yours is everblooming, it sounds like it could be a polyantha or a miniature rose. Where did you get your rose? It may be pretty hard to ID if it's a "found" rose, as there are thousands of roses in commerce, but maybe we can narrow it down to at least a guess at the proper class so as to narrow your research.

If you have a pic, that would help. Leaves, thorns, blooms, stamens, and the whole bush shots can all help to ID what kind of rose it can be.
Angel
Boonville, MO
(Zone 5a)

May 26, 2001
3:39 AM

Post #77345

I'm not sure where I got multiflora but I went back to my book and I see that it is either a miniture or polyantha which I don't know if there is even any difference since the descriptions are the same.

I have no idea where this rose came from. I just moved in and I have roses and other plants all over the place. I have about 6 different kinds of roses plus two that I just bought myself.

I will try to take a pic this weekend of what I have. I don't have a digital camera though so I will have to wait on the film to be developed and put on a disk. By the way, I found another similar rose. It is the 'Ballerina'. The only difference is mine has a bigger range of color, light pink to magenta and it is semi-double instead of single.

I don't really care if my rose has a name, but I would like to know if it does so I can record it.
Angel
Boonville, MO
(Zone 5a)

May 26, 2001
4:26 AM

Post #77364

This is the Ballerina. Mine looks like this except has two layers of petals instead of one.
http://www.knack.be/weekend/archief/groenw45-00.htm

KathyJo
Fayette, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 27, 2001
1:22 PM

Post #77644

Wow , beautiful.
sunflower
Olive Branch, MS
(Zone 7b)

June 2, 2001
8:31 AM

Post #79297

No, it's not Ballerina. Ballerina is always a single, and it's a fairly sizable shrub. Mine's 8' x 5' or so. Yours sounds like it's definately a mini or a polyantha. Minis are more common than polyanthas, especially around newer homes. Polyanthas would be more common from around the 20's -30's era houses. If you have a local rose society in your area, I know they'd be happy to try to help you ID your rose. Check out the ARS site, and see if there's a society close to you. http://ww.ars.org/ You can also look at HelpMeFind http://www.helpmefind.com/ and use their advanced search feature to narrow down the possibilities. You may never find out the real name of your rose, but if it grows well for you and makes you happy, name it for a loved one. The "real" name of a rose is only critical if you are entering it into a rose show. If you're not doing that, then don't worry about it too much.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Roses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A Rose Bush Called Betty Boop Carol7 20 Jun 5, 2014 10:15 AM
Rose Hip/Seed Question Bloomer 7 Oct 23, 2009 10:35 PM
I Maimed my Zepherine Droughin Climber! :o( gardenwife 20 Jul 30, 2012 11:17 AM
Bayer Rose & Flower Care paulgrow 27 Sep 19, 2012 6:34 AM
Any such thing as a blue rose? discodancer4 11 Mar 7, 2010 11:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America