-
AuthorContent
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

June 11, 2003
9:11 PM

Post #552685

Planted last fall - bloomed nicely in my wet areas. Now -- they have nice little seed heads. Do I cut off? Will they re-bloom during the summer? Thanks all
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 12, 2003
12:45 AM

Post #552828

Mine rebloom through the summer, sporadically, Sometimes, they all fall over and I cut them back and get a whole new crop of flowers in a short time. If you cut off the seed pods, you will save yourself from becoming overrun. Once you have them, you have them forever, but they do fill up space nicely and I love their little three petal blooms. I have a clump down in front of the barn with hardy geraniums and hollyhocks for company - all on the northeast corner relatively out of harms way from marauding bovines and digging dogs.
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

June 12, 2003
3:09 AM

Post #553006

Ours bloom nearly all summer here in central Missouri. I never cut them back.
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 12, 2003
8:38 AM

Post #553145

I don't deadhead mine or cut off the seeds but they keep flowering for months :~) They did require staking this year though.
Geoforce
Landenberg, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 12, 2003
5:01 PM

Post #553422

In SE PA, they grow and multiply fine, but don't seem to self seed much if any. I've got a big white one in one bed that's been there for 10 years, and nary a seedling have I found. Only a few near some purples down near the creek. They do get a bit leggy in the mid season though.

George
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

June 12, 2003
6:00 PM

Post #553462

I'm with Zany, I don't mess with them at all and they do need staking for the first time this year.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 13, 2003
11:04 AM

Post #554090

Dea,
What cultivar?
The named variates seen to be pretty well mannered and fairly sturdy. We leave them alone.

The common purple can get a bit weedy looking and runs a bit.
Also tends to fall over in a heavy rain.
We cut the common one back to just above the first node before it sets seed and get a nice re-bloom.

Ric

langbr
Olathe, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 13, 2003
4:24 PM

Post #554384

I put in some "mixed" Transcendtia a couple of years about from one of those mail order companies and they are thicker than thieves. All of mine seem to be white (so much for "mixed"). They bloom well after rains and off & on through the summer. Guess I haven't noticed any seed heads on mine though. They are wonderful little flowers but each bloom is very brief. Mine are in heavy shade and fairly moist most of the time. Should I be doing anything differently to get more continual bloom?

Brenda
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

June 13, 2003
10:15 PM

Post #554680

Boy, did I butcher that botanical name!!! Should have read Tradescantia. I have cultivars Red Cloud, Red Grape and Navajo Princess. They have seed-headed, but not flopped yet. They're in full sun in a very wet area.
langbr
Olathe, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 13, 2003
11:45 PM

Post #554734

Dea- Maybe I'll try moving them to more sun. I have a direct sunlight area that's kind of boggy. Maybe I should try dividing some off my main planting to see if they'll do well there. Has anyone ever divided them?
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 14, 2003
12:35 AM

Post #554766

We split them all the time.
Never had a problem.
Ours are in deep/partial shade and a few in a boggy partial sun area.
My favorites are 'Concord Grape' and 'Red Cloud'.

Ric

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Perennials Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Campanula Wonder Bells Blue Gloriaglolms 37 Apr 11, 2009 4:28 PM
Oriental Poppy Pops! Weezingreens 34 Jun 27, 2010 6:36 AM
BLUE FLOWERS Lori_Illinois 62 May 4, 2010 4:09 PM
Triple Roadside/Ditch lily OhioBreezy 21 Jul 9, 2011 6:56 PM
what are you sorry you planted.. thehumblebumble 279 Aug 12, 2012 4:28 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America