Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Container Gardening: How Big??

Communities > Forums > Container Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Container GardeningReplies: 1, Views: 180
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
momcat
northeast, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 16, 2003
12:29 AM

Post #556421

I just found the most beautiful Abutilon at the nursery. It followed me home!! The plant is about 3' tall, it's covered with light pink blooms with darker pink veining. It is so neat!!! I will need to bring it in over the winter, so it needs to be in a container. What determines the size?? The pot it came in is about a foot across and maybe a little over a foot high. Is this OK for a while, or should I put it in something bigger? I don't want to upset it, if it's OK to leave it for now. Help!!
Deb
imzadi
Jackson, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 18, 2003
3:28 AM

Post #558838

if the dirt around it is hard then slowly take the pot off. if the roots are tight or coming out the bottom than i always go to a bigger pot twice its size its in now. i dont know what plant you are talking about but if its roots are tight called root bound i believe its not good for a plant. my expierence most plants from nurseries are root bound and need transplanting. do it early in the morning or in the evening when its not hot. put it in the shade for a few days. dont want to shock it. hope this helps a little. Imzadi

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Container Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Growing tomatoes upside down BittysGarden 112 Jul 19, 2009 5:51 AM
Raspberry Plants in Containers MummyOF4dolls 23 Mar 27, 2012 4:00 PM
Flower Pouches? nathalyn 80 Sep 11, 2008 10:49 PM
Growin' bags kwells 53 Aug 24, 2008 3:12 PM
How to make papercrete containers. Tomtom 423 May 5, 2013 3:52 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America