Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4a)

Three years ago I bought and planted a small plant called a "strawberry plant." It looks like a strawberry plant except it has a single red flower (daisy like) on a (approx.) 24 in stem. It is invasive (spreads by runners) but kept in check is a beautiful flower. I have never seen this plant sold since, have no idea what it is called, and it is not shown on any of the pictures I bring up under strawberry plant. Any ideas? cj

south central, WI(Zone 5a)

Check on cinquefoil or potentilla (plant comes in different colors ( including many reds )and is setting up buds for me now. Hope this helps. :)

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

There are some ornamental strawberries with red or pink flowers. http://images.google.com/images?q=Fragaria+%27Pink+Panda%E2%80%99&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Fragaria Pink Panda - very invasive and have grown it!!

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4a)

Thanks, still haven't seen a pic yet of my odd plant but when I do I'll let you know..cp

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

cjean, I'm moving your thread to the Plant ID forum for more guesses. If you can snag an image of it, that would probably help get it identified faster...

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Ooops!! Sue - I didn't look at your link. Was in a hurry - again!! :-)

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

I'm having a hard time thinking of any plants that spread by runner and have red daisy-like flowers. But plants with "Strawberry" in their name include:

Waldsteinia ternata - Barren Strawbery
Saxifraga stolonifera - Strawberry Begonia
Duchesnea indica - Wild/Mock Strawberry
Arbutus unedo - Strawberry Tree Arbutus

Diascia has some varieties with "Strawberry' in the name (but I wouldn't say they have daisy-like flowers ;o)

Is this plant hardy for you in your zone? If so, that should narrow down the field a bit, too.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Potentilla 'Miss Wilmott' has a two tone red and yellow flower. Mine is blooming now.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images