Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

SOLVED: Plant or weed?

Lenexa, KS(Zone 5b)

I found this growing in a corner next to the building I live in. It looks like a type of ivy, is it? Could it be a stray cutting got tossed out and rooted? I took this pic 5-6 days ago, and just looked at the plant again outside. It is growing like crazy! It has doubled in size/length already.

Thumbnail by heather_v
Lenexa, KS(Zone 5b)

Here's a closeup of the leaves

Thumbnail by heather_v
Lenexa, KS(Zone 5b)

Thanks Baa for pointing me in a direction. This leaf shape on mine is slightly different than the pictures I've seen so far, but I'm going to do more research, since I don't know much about ivy. Looks like it could be a very invasive plant if not controlled.

It's a young plant yet, Ivy has a number of leaf shapes throughout it's life stages. Of course, it could be another species but I wouldn't discount H. helix just yet.

Lenexa, KS(Zone 5b)

See, I told you I didn't know much about ivy. Except that I like how it looks, and I tend to kill them in the house :( Guess I'll just have to watch it a while longer, and see if it changes. Thanks for the tip!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.