Photo by Melody

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Ever seen a Canna like this?

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 8, Views: 96
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MOLLYBEE
Villa Rica, GA
(Zone 7a)

June 20, 2003
4:00 AM

Post #560809

I grew this from seed this year. All I remember was the pack said "Red Canna" I started the seeds inside in March and it surprised me with a bloom today! Is it because it is a seedling/plant? Or is there a name for this little beauty? By the way, this is as big as the bloom has gotton, and it don't look like it is going to be any bigger.

Thumbnail by MOLLYBEE
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 20, 2003
4:06 AM

Post #560812

Mollybee..
This is Canna Indica (Indian Shot).. Beware, they multiplay very rapidly..I have tons of them.
Larkie

http://florawww.eeb.uconn.edu/acc_num/199200305.html
MOLLYBEE
Villa Rica, GA
(Zone 7a)

June 20, 2003
4:44 AM

Post #560839

Thanks Larkie! Guess the place I have them will be running over with them before long huh? I know what I'll be trading out next year LOL The place I have it in is kinda small, well not small but it actually has other stuff in and around it. So guess I'll be moving them eaither around OR out of there! LOL
Thanks again!!
Chamma
Tennille, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 22, 2003
5:33 AM

Post #562447

I love them...when in bloom! They tend to get wind burn on their leaves though...
MOLLYBEE
Villa Rica, GA
(Zone 7a)

June 22, 2003
1:47 PM

Post #562573

I was so amazed that it actually bloomed! Knowing that I grew if from seed makes me feel like I actually done something right LOL I like them too!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 22, 2003
3:38 PM

Post #562652

I grew a bunch of these from seeds this year too Molly. And yes, I did it on purpose. LOL These plants have always been a humming bird favorite in my yard. The last year I had them, I had a row about 25 feet long. Someone convinced me to leave them in the ground for the winter. All gone!! I think I ended up with 80 something from seed but about a dozen are some other kinds.
MOLLYBEE
Villa Rica, GA
(Zone 7a)

June 22, 2003
4:07 PM

Post #562679

O so they are pretty much an annual?? I'll have to remember to get seeds if that's the case.
I just made a long row of canna's that I got from Bleek at the GA plant swap last month and they are coming along nicely. I was hoping to put a row of these in along the same row next year if they multiplied well enough...guess I know what kind of seeds I will be starting come March! LOL
Thanks for the heads up!!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 22, 2003
8:27 PM

Post #562857

I don't know about annual/perennial for you. I'm sure they would winter over close to pavement or the foundation. Mine weren't and I am also a zone cooler than you. Mine were out in the center of the backyard.
MOLLYBEE
Villa Rica, GA
(Zone 7a)

June 23, 2003
2:18 AM

Post #563132

Do you have problems with your other canna's? I mean if you have different ones that is. Or is it just this kind?? Mine is pretty much out in the open as well, so if it needs protection like up closer to the house...then I know I will have to do seeds again. I'll keep my fingers crossed that mine make it thru the winter.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 22 Nov 3, 2014 6:02 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America