Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Cherimoya Flower?

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 4, Views: 65
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Ulrich
Manhattan Beach, CA
(Zone 11)

June 20, 2003
4:47 AM

Post #560843

What I thought to be my Annona cherimola is blooming strangely.

Thumbnail by Ulrich
Click the image for an enlarged view.

violabird
Barnesville, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 21, 2003
9:00 PM

Post #562099

Ulrich, you read my mind! We got to sample this delicious fruit while in Spain, but we could never remember what it was called, and we were just talking about it again Thursday! Have you been getting fruit off your own tree?

I just looked it up here http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/cherimoya.html
Ulrich
Manhattan Beach, CA
(Zone 11)

June 21, 2003
11:19 PM

Post #562156

Vy, thank you ever so much for that link. Finally I know it's the real thing, although the flowers don't seem to have any pinkish inner petals, nor are they fragrant. There are some pea-sized nubs left behind when they drop. Lets hope they'll get large.
There are many cherimoya plantations near Santa Barbara and we were given a tour at one. They explained that they pollinate each flower by hand at just the right time to get good-sized fruit. They charge an arm and a leg for them in the markets here.
Our tree came from a mislabeled packet of Sweet Pea seeds a friend planted about twenty years ago. This is the first year it is blooming.
violabird
Barnesville, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 21, 2003
11:33 PM

Post #562168

Looks like you have your work cut out for you, you pollinator you! Here's another http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/cherimoya.html
10 years before 1st fruit?
Ulrich
Manhattan Beach, CA
(Zone 11)

June 22, 2003
12:40 AM

Post #562204

No way Josť; don't have that kind of patience anymore.
BTW, it's 20 years.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America