Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Do you know the name of this Banana tree

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 5, Views: 108
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
LauraM
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 20, 2003
5:05 PM

Post #561209

I got this banana tree to hide our compost box and our grass clipping pile. It's growing so fast and it's too beautiful to keep it hidden back here.

I don't know what the name of it is can you help me?

thanks allot,
lauraM

Thumbnail by LauraM
Click the image for an enlarged view.

justmeLisa
Brewers, KY
(Zone 6b)

June 20, 2003
10:01 PM

Post #561381

Hi, me again..It looks like Musa 'Tall Red'. Not sure.
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 20, 2003
10:14 PM

Post #561390

it looks just like my Musa Zebrina.
LauraM
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 22, 2003
6:31 AM

Post #562460

Hi,

Thanks Lisa & tiG. I think that is it, I just went and looked it up and that sure looks right to me.

tiG I read this also: "Many banana "trees" will die after they've produced fruit" Do you know this to be true? Since you have one of these trees I thought maybe you would know this answer.

This tree hasn't flowered yet, but I've only had it for about 4 month or so. I do have a different banana tree that has a huge beautiful flower on it right now. We've had it I'd say 1 1/2 years and this is the first time it has done this.

I'd love to get the seeds, but I am not really sure when is the right time to do this. I'll have to do some research on this.

Thanks again for ya'll help,
lauraM
justmeLisa
Brewers, KY
(Zone 6b)

June 22, 2003
11:33 AM

Post #562505

Hi Laura, don't panic! All 'nana stalks die after producing hands of 'nanas. However, they shoot off many "pups" at the base that quickly grows, you will never notice that main stalk is gone because in our climate the pups grow fast. By the time the stalk finishes dying, the pups are grown. When digging up 'nanas to propagate, always dig up the pointed babies (pups)that are found at the base. They grow very easy. Hope this helps. Lisa
LauraM
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 23, 2003
3:08 AM

Post #563195

Thanks allot Lisa, that does help me. :)
lauraM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America