Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Garden Pests and Diseases: Fuzzy Inch Worms?

Communities > Forums > Garden Pests and Diseases
bookmark
Forum: Garden Pests and DiseasesReplies: 5, Views: 622
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
shuttlebunny
Iola, WI

June 21, 2003
4:43 AM

Post #561683

I have something attacking some of my trees. This is our first year here. We noticed that some of our trees have branches that are dead. We were sitting outside today on the deck when a small fuzzy inchworm-like creature came floating down on a thread of silk. I noticed last week that the underside of some of the leaves were discolored. I now realize that they were holes. What could these bugs be and how can I get rid of them.
I can't afford to hire an aboritist(sp?) as my BIL suggested. I have access to a "cherry picker" so I have access to the top part of the trees for spraying.
Any help would be appreciated!
TIA
Sue
shuttlebunny
Iola, WI

June 23, 2003
3:27 AM

Post #563216

According to the ID card at Menards I have Tent Caterpillars.
Any thoughts on how to get rid of them short of insecticide sprays?
crimsontsavo
Crossville, TN
(Zone 7a)

July 22, 2003
4:09 AM

Post #589865

When I lived in Michigan the only thing that worked was Torching (literally) them and hand picking them.They are NASTY little things.Can kill and entire forest.BAD BAD Bugs.
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 23, 2003
12:10 PM

Post #590863

I have seen them on one wild cherry tree on our land and I agree they are unsightly. I'm glad you brought this up because it was something I wanted to look into. Here is a very good link with an upside to this problem. Upside to other creatures, not our trees.

http://gardening.wsu.edu/library/inse003/inse003.htm

earthling

earthling
Rowlett, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 24, 2003
12:08 AM

Post #591340

Sometimes if you can break up the webs with water, the birds will eat them..
shuttlebunny
Iola, WI

July 24, 2003
1:58 AM

Post #591485

Thanks for the additional info. I haven't seen the nests yet, but I'll be looking carefully over the next few weeks.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Garden Pests and Diseases Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hollyhock Rust ??? snuggles 8 Feb 25, 2008 1:41 PM
Pests: Calling all slug experts! (Not for the faint of heart) candleberry 162 Jun 18, 2014 7:41 AM
PROOF that milk kills mildew Wintermoor 26 Jun 26, 2007 4:54 PM
These ants are a bane Dinu 18 Nov 13, 2007 5:18 PM
Getting rid of yellow jackets ButterflyGardnr 23 Jun 18, 2009 2:34 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America