Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Plant Identification: SOLVED: mystery seeds from round robin

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 5, Views: 82
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Carena
Woodburn, OR
(Zone 8a)

June 21, 2003
11:22 PM

Post #562161

the envelope said moon lily, but this is what came up.. I can't remember what the seeds looked like.

Thumbnail by Carena
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 22, 2003
2:36 AM

Post #562306

Looks like you have yourself some Datura seedlings, also called moon flower, moon bush, moon flower bush, etc. Depending on the type, you probably have ones with big white, very heavenly scented flowers. Just don't let those puppies drop seeds all over. LOL My guess is that your seeds were round and flat and sort of beige, kind of like pepper seeds??
Carena
Woodburn, OR
(Zone 8a)

June 22, 2003
2:45 AM

Post #562318

OOh I can't wait! I thought they looked pretty gosh darn similar to the brug seedlings I started, but these have a little bit of fuzziness to them, and they are growing faster. I'd better get out there and move them so they will have enough room to grow big and happy.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 22, 2003
3:41 PM

Post #562655

Well Doll, one can get at least 5x5 feet here in my zone 6 and over winter and self seed. LOL So you better stand back. :) Seriously, they leave a big turnip like root in the ground and grow back from that each year.
Carena
Woodburn, OR
(Zone 8a)

June 22, 2003
4:00 PM

Post #562666

wow, sounds like 4 o'clocks! fine with me, I looked through my seed packets and found this one, the seeds do look like bell pepper seeds, just like you described, yippeeeeee! I can use them to make a hedge to block the view of my neighbors neglected yard, when I look out my window I see knee high weeds and a rusty old truck, I'd much rather see a jungle of beautiful sweet smelling flowers. Thanks, you've made my day! :o)~
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 22, 2003
4:02 PM

Post #562673

LOL Good to know it is barely noon and I have made one person smile. :) Yes I would certainly bet you could make a quick hedge of them. They do fine in full sun and with normal or less watering once they take off. Be careful with the seed pods-the bite. LOL

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 21 Oct 14, 2014 11:43 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America