Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Is this a weed?

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 3, Views: 87
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
WaWild1
Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

June 25, 2003
3:44 PM

Post #565565

I posted a pick of this plant and someone said it looked like a weed. I have 4 of them in an area I broadcast a bunch of seeds but did not note the names. This plant has started to form a lot of buds. It's a low grower, only about 8-10in. I know I put a lot of low growing plant seeds in the front of the bed. Any idea what it might be...I want to pull them up right away if they are indeed a weed. Thank all!

Thumbnail by WaWild1
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 26, 2003
4:22 PM

Post #566685

It looks like something from the mustard family, thus it could be a weed or it could be something that you planted. I suggest that you let it bloom. Even if it is a "weed", it could end up being something that you like. If you don't like it, pull them all out right away, before they can produce seeds.
WaWild1
Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

June 27, 2003
6:05 PM

Post #567676

Kelli...you were so right about it being a member of the mustard family!! Thanks for advising me to hand on to it until it bloomed.

This is Arugula!!! OMG...I love the stuff...this is 1 or 2 voulenteers that showed up in my flower bed. As soon as the flower bloomed, I knew what it was...then a little taste test proved it. Ahh, sauage and arugula pizza tonight. I pinched all the little buds and some of the larger leave off so it will give me some more tender leave young leave. I do let them go to flower after I've harvested a good bunch of leaves. Even the flowers are edible...they make a nice touch to salads...not too mnay though...can be overpowering. I just never imagined it was arugula since I planted the seeds in my herb garden...quite a ways from my flowers bed.

Voulenteers are the greatest...my seedlings are just taking off...but I have these mature plant to pick from till then. Woo Hooo happy here!!
WaWild1
Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

June 27, 2003
6:09 PM

Post #567677

Was so excited i forgot to post the flower picture..lol Anyone else love this green as much as me? Want to trade receipes..hee hee

Thumbnail by WaWild1
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America