Found this yesterday on a silver maple tree in our back yard. Can you tell me anything about it, such as name, is it edible, why it grew there, etc. There is a smaller one above it. There is a rotten area in the fork of the tree where this is growing. I'm thinking we better get this tree removed soon.
SOLVED: What in the World???
Yeah Michele, I'm wondering if it would be good food for my Malanga!! LOL!! Who know, maybe it would make a giant out of it.
looks Oyster mushroom,Pleurotus ostreaus,how high up is it?
Rooty is right, lol, no alliens. It is a tree mushroom.We do use it for christmasdecoration, when it is dried.
Ludger,I think the one you use is Ganoderma applanatum,artist fungus,if you mean the one that you just rub a needle on,and it turn color.
Dr, I dont know the name. No fungus specialist...:-)
We just use them....and some we eat..lol.
it looks like one that used to grow on an old oak just down the street from me. It will grow in layers one above or below the next and it was edible.A book that i have on fungi and such called the oyster mushrooms. Quite good sauted in butter. You may want to make sure before you eat it though.
I don't think I'll even try it. Today it is turning a deeper cream color. I was going to check the smell of it, but I'm just too tired to go back outside.