No lawn (or lawn mower) here!
(19 votes, 7%)
Red dot

Other?
(13 votes, 5%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

We also have a gas powered John Deere riding lawn mower, that we use to mow outside of our yard, along the driveway and around buildings to reduce the fire hazard and keep things looking tidy.

San Francisco, CA

My husband thinks gas will cause a fire, so we have the electric, the problem is not running over the cord.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Got me one of those Snapper zero turning radius mowers.You drive it with a little joystick at your right hand.No clutch,no levers,no steering wheel.Just point the joystick in the direction you want to go and you have your other hand free for a cool beverage.I mow nearly 4 acres of lawn,so a 48 inch deck and 18 HP is minimum requirements.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Mowing takes time away from the flower beds. I use a mowing service.

Bedford (DFW), TX(Zone 8a)

I voted electric push mower...although it's a gas mower with an electric start. What a JOY! I have a scott's self propelled with electric start and it's a pleasure to mow when you can go out there, prime it, turn the key in the electric start and you're on your way. It's easily the best present my husband ever got me ; )...LOL

Mercer, PA(Zone 5a)

Melody, I need me one of those kewl mowers! My old (10 years and still runnin) wheel horse 42 inch deck 12 horse has all it can handle mowin my almost 4 acres!

I wish I could find a good powered reel type mower. I have heard they are the best for your lawn. But.....until then the electric rotory mower will do. Haven't lost a cord yet!

Western, PA(Zone 6a)

With the amount of grass to cut now limited to about 15'x20', the old-fashioned reel type is all I need. No more gas cans to store, no more, cords to cut, and no more arms to end up in a sling. All I have been able to find is the 5 reel(blade) mower. I have to go over the area 2 or 3 times for a nice looking cut. Ideally 7 or 9 reels will give the best cut. But I can not find the 7 or 9. Probable should look at antique mowers on the internet. They would have the bed knife adjustment and sharpening possibilities.

Hempstead, TX(Zone 8b)

i had to put other we use bush hog, riding mower, a gas push and live stock.

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Since we have a very small patch of grass, 6'x10', my dh uses a push mower on it. The grass is only for the use of my dogs business, otherwise, I wouldn't have any grass at all.

Donna

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

I am like MaryE , we have a riding lawn mower too and I too mow alot more outside of the lawn, down the driveway between the trees etc. It seems when you have a riding lawn mower there is more grass to mow. LOL

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

We bought a lawn tractor with a 25 HP Hydrostatic engine and a 42 inch deck and a self propelled push type to manage the property we were leasing. After 10 hours of use on the tractor they are both sitting in storage and I am mowing my postage stamp lawn with a weedwacker!

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9b)

Doing my best to be kind to the enviornment & nature's critters I currently I use a weed eater to mow my lawn but an old-fashioned mower is on my wish list.

montgomery, AL(Zone 7b)

I put other since we use a riding mower for big areas.. a gas push mower for some areas but have to use a weed wacker inside the gardens.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Howie wishes we had a big enough yard to justify a riding mower, but our whole lot's only 140x45' or so, and some of that's taken up by the house and our flowerbeds! ;)

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

things got so far behind here last week, Stan came back from mowing hay and did a few swings around the yard with the discbine.

Fort Dodge, IA(Zone 4b)

Just have a gas powered push mower, not self-propelled, although I wish it were at times. It takes me a good two hours at a steady pace to mow my yard and the empty lot next to mine. I worked a deal with the landlord; if I mow the lot, he'll help with the cost of the fence to finish fencing in my back yard for the grandson and the dog. I don't mind the mowing as it is good excercise and there's nothing like the looks of a newly mown lawn! Instant gratification! Makes the flower beds look even better! :-)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

I said other because it's a combination of a John Deere 4300 with mower attachment 2.5 acres, a John Deere gas for the long steep strips near the road and a reel mower for my "formal" garden - the only place I bag every blade.

Franklin, LA(Zone 9a)

Mine is a gas self propelled, but my goal is NO GRASS to mow. I hate mowing grass.

Humansville, MO(Zone 6a)

well i said rider but that is just the main yard use brush hog 2 or 3 times a year on some gas push mower to trim and some weed eating but that is getting less not worth the trouble and livestock from time to time although none at this time just the rabbits in the barn

Rochester, NY

If I had money to burn, I'd be trying the solar powered self-propelled self-guiding one that Black and Decker is starting to sell. Almost like a sheep, but no cleanup.

Grove City, OH(Zone 6a)

We currently have a small electric for our lawn remnant, but my goal is also to eliminate grass-lawn. After two amputations in the family, no more gas mowers. And since I was one of the amputees, I won't be anywhere around any lawn mower, except reel-type.

Spring Hill, FL(Zone 9a)

We have a John Deere lawn tractor and a gas powered push mower. "His" and "Hers"

Flint, MI(Zone 5b)

I don't usually have to mow the grass, that is what the teenage sons are for. They use a self propelled gas mower.I take care of the flower gardens.

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

I have a riding John Deere..a little one..had it for seven years now..and I have bashed into trees and bounced off things and it still goes on and on. I love it! I have one acre to cut..
I call it my "Little Deere"
This is an old photo of my niece and her friends. Kids love to ride it.

Thumbnail by Starzz
Landenberg, PA(Zone 6b)

I voted riding mower, but I also do a lot with a gas push mower. Live on steep hill so can't use the rider on a lot of the areas and gotta push it. Do about 3/4 acre with each one.

George

Jacksonville, IL(Zone 5a)

I checked the gas walk-behind mower, which is what I have now, but I really prefer an electric. I have had two in the past but they just didn't last that long. I really like electrics because of the noise factor. I can mow early in the morning when it's cool without bothering any neighbors plus it is more environmentally friendly. But the greatest feature is that there is no cord to pull to get it started and no gas to remember to buy!

So I went with a fancy lawnboy this time that has electric start and is self-propelled. It's really easy to use so I like it except for the noise.

Iola, WI

Self propelled gas mower here. I'm in the market for a cheap rider though.

Olathe, KS(Zone 6a)

I'm with Hygiene1 --- teenage son all the way! Gas, self-propelled.

Lincoln City, OR(Zone 9a)

I voted other since we have many of the things that are on the list. We have been mowing this place with a push lawn mower and one of the push string trimmer for three years and it took about three days to get all the way around the lawn and down the road. This spring I had a man who needed food for his family come in and mow the yard twice for food for me. Recently my Chiropractor gave me a riding lawn mower because he could see that I needed one more than he needed it sitting in his storage area. Our son fixed all that was wrong with it and now I can ride for much of the area but it still takes 8 hours of riding to mow it. And on the first full round our son needed a new window for his car since a rock went through it from the mower. LOL This "free" mower has now cost us over $300 in parts and broken windows. LOL Also have a self propelled mower that I love. So all together we have 5 mowers for a family of 3. LOL

new here tonight learing you sights, cool place, neat thing going here, where do I go to say Hi, lol? you are so friendly here

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Arrowhead,

Go to the welcome mat forum and tell us alittle about yourself and gardens.

Welcome to DG,
Donna

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Arrowhead isn't a subscriber - can s/he post there? Arrowhead -- subscribe! We'd love to have ya in the forums! :)

Mpls, MN(Zone 4a)

I checked gas push mower.Bought it last year at walmart on sale.Just remembered i need to buy some gas to cut the grass today.

Birmingham, AL

I have no use for lawns. Under the trees the leaves lie where they fall, except for those raked out of paths. The sunny areas are completely planted with flowering plants.

WHAT KIND OF GRASS GROWS IN ADOBE SOIL IN LANCASTER CALIFORNIA????? WHAT DO YOU TREAT THE SOIL WITH TO HOLD WATER AND NOT DRY GROUND AND CRACK OPEN???

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Wow, you've got me, Moonbeams. We've got several folks pretty good with xeriscaping here at DG -- Maybe you should check out the cactus and succulents forum! ;)

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i have a landscaping lawn mower with a 72 inch mower deck,turns on a dime. One wheel in the back that i have to keep an eye on, as im always spinning around to fast! ;)

My dh put a diesel motor in it-it has get up n go now! still takes me 2hrs to mow the yard-at least 3acres!

I think its called a hister lwanmower! :)

While I use a reel type push mower for the garden paths, I have a mowing service for the main lawn areas...more time to play in the garden!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.