Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Daylilies: Southern Gardeners - let's talk about bloom time

Communities > Forums > Daylilies
bookmark
Forum: DayliliesReplies: 2, Views: 132
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sundry
Franklin, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 12, 2003
4:18 PM

Post #580952

I'm in zone 9a, and by mid June nearly all of my daylilies are pooped. Currently, the only daylily still flowering is Purple D'oro, and I'm grateful for that. Even the Stella's pooped out a month ago, tho I know they will start back up in September (along with other re-bloomers).

Can anyone recommend daylilies that bloom in the summer months here in the south? I love Daylilies, and next year want to build a bed of them that blooms from March to September. I know I'm asking a lot, but the only months not covered are July and August.

Failing that, what would be a good companion plant that would bloom in July and August in zone 9a? Low maintenance, since this bed is on the 'other' side of the fence, where I dislike working.

Thanx in advance for your advice.
Cheri'
gingerlily
Paxton, FL
(Zone 8a)

July 14, 2003
2:44 PM

Post #582576

I'm in zone 8 on the Florida panhandle. I still have some blooming, evening tulip, bright beacon, calistoga sun, some unnamed crosses. The ditch lilies single and double are blooming like crazy.
sundry
Franklin, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 14, 2003
2:51 PM

Post #582583

Ditchlilies bloom late in our heat??? I had no idea. Cool!
Thanx for the info on the named varieties, too. I'll add those to my wish list, and start looking for them.

Cheri'

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Daylilies Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
What do I do with the day lilies now? JSS 12 Oct 10, 2009 4:51 PM
Scented daylilies?? philomel 26 Feb 5, 2008 6:00 AM
Potted Daylilies CountryGardens 10 Jan 18, 2008 4:28 AM
Late Season Rebloomers pins2006 12 Aug 3, 2007 12:38 PM
Metal markers suppliers? bluegrassmom 63 Mar 12, 2008 11:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America