madarense help

Weymouth, Dorset, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

I've got some G. madarense 'guernsey white ' seedlings coming on,do you think it would be better to pot them on into bigger pots to over winter, or would they survive outside in my gravel garden? At a gardens near us (well at-room really) they have a huge plant in their gravel garden,so I'm hoping that mine would be o.k. Any advice?

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

maderense is only hardy in Cornwall along the coastal areas. They need to get into as big a pot as possible as they grow into huge plants

thanks mark,will do that then.

and need to be frost free all winter. The plant near you is most likely to be G palmatum

that's what I thought, but my sister said it was a maderense,it had the flowers propped up on big thick red stems.it must have been about 5ft tall and wide, pretty impressive.

palmatum flowers are plain pink while those of maderense have obvious veins on pink flowers. maderense is also covered in fine sticky hairs

Thumbnail by mark

I'll check next time I go there, when someone offers to take me to lunch.LOL

Bolton, Greater Manc, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

The trick with Maderense Sue is to get them as big as possible before the hard winter comes in as they will survive better than the small ones. My guernsey white seedlings germinated back in April and are now in 8 inch pots. I will be moving them to 15 inch pots very shortly.

you're way ahead of me then,I can keep mine in the sun-lounge which is heated, will that do?

a sun lounge would make them lean towards the light. Any friends got a conservatory?

If you do not have access to a conservatory then a sun lounge will be fine. Just remember to turn your plant on a regular basis so all sides of the plant have access tothe sun and it grows uniformly.

this sunlounge has a triple carb roof, so it's very light and bright from above, so hopefully that'll be o.k. I shall be tendinmg these babies very carefully.

sounds fine sue :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.