Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

PlantFiles Pictures: Dusty Miller, Silver Ragwort (Senecio cineraria)

Communities > Forums > PlantFiles Pictures
bookmark
Forum: PlantFiles PicturesReplies: 9, Views: 251
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
yvana
Stone Mountain, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 18, 2003
8:29 PM

Post #586830

Dusty Miller, Silver Ragwort
Jacobaea maritima

Dusty Miller Blooms July 2003 Atlanta, GA

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/247/

Thumbnail by yvana
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ButterflyGardnr
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 20, 2003
11:00 PM

Post #588498

Great shot! This plant actually has very pretty blooms, but you never see them up north. I have only seen them bloom here in the south [US] and was absolutely shocked to see one in bloom.
yvana
Stone Mountain, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 22, 2003
1:00 AM

Post #589658

I was shocked too!! I have grown them here in the South before and they didn't bloom. But here in my new garden, they flourish!! I really like the yellow flowers against the silver foliage.
yvana :)
Gardener4Fun
Sweetwater, TX
(Zone 7a)

July 22, 2003
2:16 AM

Post #589729

Well... You learn something new every day. I plant them every year and see them everywhere I go around here...I never knew that they bloomed! Gotta move south!
yvana
Stone Mountain, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 22, 2003
5:18 PM

Post #590284

Come on down!! It's very nice down here!
Gardener4Fun
Sweetwater, TX
(Zone 7a)

July 22, 2003
10:11 PM

Post #590463

Yvana,
I've been down that way...and I love it! I worked for a summer near Savannah - loved it! And my parents live on the border of TN and NC, near the GA border. You're lucky to live down there! I have to say that I love the snowsnorms and the countryside here, too, though. We lived in Hawaii for 6 years - now THERE I would return to! Everything grows! Orchids just grow wild on the roadside!
yvana
Stone Mountain, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 22, 2003
11:12 PM

Post #590532

I have been to NY State too...and it is very beautiful. I was amazed at it's natural beauty! A bit chilly for me, though! (I have never had to shovel snow or even go out in it!!) Ha! I'll bet Hawaii is unbelievable!! You are very fortunate to have lived there. What part of NY do you live in? When I visited, we went to the SW corner, near Erie, PA and the Allegheny River. I really enjoyed it! It was very different than Atlanta!
Gardener4Fun
Sweetwater, TX
(Zone 7a)

July 23, 2003
12:14 AM

Post #590561

I live in south central, on the PA border, near the city of Binghamton. Very similar look to our area and the Erie, PA area. Yes, pretty, but Brrrr cold!

I wasn't much of a gardener in Hawaii - too busy using our boat on the ocean every weekend. Wish I would have grown more stuff. But we did have, in our yard, lychee trees (cool looking fruit) and breadfruit (put on the grill and pop open - tastes kinda bready). Was good with Ahi! (tuna - we caught "small ones" - "only" 60 pounds!) And giant elephant ears that I could hide behind!

I liked Atlanta - was only there briefly for the gift mart (Peachtree area, by the big Marriott). Are you in the city or outside?
yvana
Stone Mountain, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 23, 2003
4:25 PM

Post #591036

I live in Stone Mountain!
DOCTORSLIME
Saginaw, MI

July 6, 2012
11:32 AM

Post #9195439

You say it never blooms in the North, but we had a very mild winter in 2011, and I have seen at least 3 dusty millers blooming in Saginaw, Alma, and Bay City, Michigan. 7/12 Which is way north. This speaks directly to global warming. It's 100 degrees today too!

July 6th, 2012.

there may be a time coming soon to revise the USDA growth zone charts coming to reflect the march of warm temperatures northward.

DoctorSlime

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other PlantFiles Pictures Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Japanese Silver Grass, Miscanthus, Eulalia, Maiden Grass, Zebra Grass (Miscanthu hczone6 2 Oct 4, 2010 7:21 PM
Feather Reed Grass (Calamagrostis acutiflora) hczone6 1 Mar 23, 2009 1:36 PM
Lanceleaf Coreopsis, Tickseed Coreopsis (Coreopsis lanceolata) dave 1 Jul 18, 2010 11:26 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Estella' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 7 Mar 24, 2011 7:32 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Grand Marnier' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 8 Nov 17, 2014 3:08 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America